Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

strap it down

Lake.OD

Straps are only helpful in emergency situations. If you don't foresee an emergency situation don't use them.

Wow, you can foresee emergency events?? I'm impressed!!

:Doh::Doh:

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• auto

• Addictedto6

• Bobby Light

• Mike00LXI

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Straps are only helpful in emergency situations. If you don't foresee an emergency situation don't use them.

Wow, you can foresee emergency events?? I'm impressed!!

I'm pretty sure thats his point, know one can see the future so use your straps.

After an accident, I bet you hear "Man, I wished I strapped the boat down" more than "Man, I wish I didn't strap the boat down"

Wanna bet? Jesus you guys are just the same as last time. Vomit.gif Everyone is ASSUMING the straps will hold. I will tell you right now, I have had exeprience to the contrary on a 1000lb boat. Tease2.gif 4000lbs strap less than 1 yr strap snapped in half, wasn't even a wreck scenario.

So, my mileage varies, you guys enjoy you wives strap-ons, I will roll with out Biggrin.gif

You all are a bunch of S&M fetishists.

Mike did you fall and bump your head? Post something that makes sense next time.

Use for force young Jedi and you too will see the sarcastic dry humor.

You all are a bunch of S&M fetishists.

Mike did you fall and bump your head? Post something that makes sense next time.

Use for force young Jedi and you too will see the sarcastic dry humor.

I guess I just didn't get the fact that a thread titled "Strap it down?"= sex toys. Way over my head, I'll write this one down and chalk it up as a learning experience. Should have known coming from a resident from the phorn (had to get past editor) state.

Edited by 06vlx
I have a 2005 LSV and it did not come with the rear straps for the trailer. Neither did my 1992 Maristar 210. I am curious, does anybody use them? I only trailer two times per year (hopefully) 35 miles to the dealer to winterize and 1 mile to the ramp to launch for the year. Thoughts???

There are several threads on this, and they usually get contentious. I do not, have not, and will not, never been an issue.

Let the flaming begin Tease2.gifBash.gif

That would be a ticket in Washington State without too much of a stretch (unsecured load) and I believe a criminal offense if your load (boat) flies off and injures someone. I've seen boats (not on a trailer) upside down next to I-90, bet that one wasn't tied down either.

After an accident, I bet you hear "Man, I wished I strapped the boat down" more than "Man, I wish I didn't strap the boat down"

Wanna bet? Jesus you guys are just the same as last time. Vomit.gif Everyone is ASSUMING the straps will hold. I will tell you right now, I have had exeprience to the contrary on a 1000lb boat. Tease2.gif 4000lbs strap less than 1 yr strap snapped in half, wasn't even a wreck scenario.

So, my mileage varies, you guys enjoy you wives strap-ons, I will roll with out Biggrin.gif

You don't wear a seatbelt, do you?

I don't use them,but rarely trailer. I'm curious if insurance would want to know if they were in place following an accident? I plan to start using them after reading this.

Yep most of the time, even though been a in rollover when I wasn't wearing one. Let's see, don't wear a motorcyle, wakeboarding, or skiing helmet. Go duckhunting at O'Dark Thirty in a little boat, big water, skinny water as fast as my boat will allow in foul weather, and drive in Dallas. That just about sums up my risky behavior. Thumbup.gif

The hooks are good for holding the boat in place so that it doesn't bounce around off the trailer. This doesn't really happen in a v-drive anyways. In an accident the hooks will bend and in general they really don't do anything. When you're talking about a 3600lb unsecured payload that essentially is only secured by the friction of a few 2x4's wrapped in carpet, you might get a feel for how much inertia the mass of the boat it's self has.

I strap down because they're there and it does, under normal towing circumstances, keep the boat stuck to the trailer. But in any sort of emergency or impact, I assure you they are utterly useless.

The hooks are good for holding the boat in place so that it doesn't bounce around off the trailer. This doesn't really happen in a v-drive anyways. In an accident the hooks will bend and in general they really don't do anything. When you're talking about a 3600lb unsecured payload that essentially is only secured by the friction of a few 2x4's wrapped in carpet, you might get a feel for how much inertia the mass of the boat it's self has.

I strap down because they're there and it does, under normal towing circumstances, keep the boat stuck to the trailer. But in any sort of emergency or impact, I assure you they are utterly useless.

Voice of reason. Cheers.gif

Mike's a perv, I'm surprised he didn't jump on the previous strap on comment :lol:

You calling me a perv BigD? Let's settle this at Memorial Day...I challenge you to drink my wife under the table with Tequila....oh wait...you already lost that challenge ROFL.gif

No seriously, I just have a bizarre, sarcastic sense of humor that only a few appreciate Biggrin.gif

Mike's a perv, I'm surprised he didn't jump on the previous strap on comment :lol:

You calling me a perv BigD? Let's settle this at Memorial Day...I challenge you to drink my wife under the table with Tequila....oh wait...you already lost that challenge ROFL.gif

No seriously, I just have a bizarre, sarcastic sense of humor that only a few appreciate Biggrin.gif

Yeah Yeah, drinking Tequila shots after a quart of Stoli didn't taste good, I gaged and went back to the Stoli the rest of the day.

And you are a perv, carrying a beaver around all day, come on. :)

Yeah Yeah, drinking Tequila shots after a quart of Stoli didn't taste good, I gaged and went back to the Stoli the rest of the day.

Oh man...cheap shot bringing my beaver into this...you leave Bucky out of it...she's an innocent party...you can make all the excuses in the world but it's the last shot that counts Biggrin.gif

Oh man...cheap shot bringing my beaver into this...you leave Bucky out of it...she's an innocent party...you can make all the excuses in the world but it's the last shot that counts Biggrin.gif

You guys are a riot!!!! :lol:

Oh and BTW...as a reminder...I have pics of your wife doing unsavory things to my beaver..you can send the hush money to my Paypal account Biggrin.gif

Oh and BTW...as a reminder...I have pics of your wife doing unsavory things to my beaver..you can send the hush money to my Paypal account Biggrin.gif

That was Britt, and I have lot's of those type of pic's. Whistling.gif

I know some folks who didn't strap an I/O down. The boat went over/thru the tow vehicle, and their lives changed forever.

Spend 100 bucks and get the new bolt on ratchet straps. We put them on all our stock boats.

Like fire extingushers, there's no reason not to have them.

Who ever sees an emergency situation before it happens?

The straps are pretty inexpensive compared to your Malibu. Buy them and use them. It just takes a few seconds to put them on.

Edited by Love2Board

Who ever sees an emergency situation before it happens?

Um, perhaps that was his point?

That was Britt, and I have lot's of those type of pic's. Whistling.gif

Its about time this thread was locked, then whipped! Batman.gif

There's a similarity between this thread and the recent Crew member telling us he dropped his bike at 50 mph on a curve. Told us how lucky he was he was wearing his leathers. Let me re-phrase for him: He wasn't "lucky" he was wearing his leathers, that was planning. he also wasn't planning on having an accident either.

One of the comments in the thread was that a biker shoud dress for the crash, not for the ride. Good advice.

re trailer straps. Secure the boat "as-if" you will have an emergency situation. For the 2 minutes it takes, well worth the time.

If not..... heck, why not save a lot of other $$$ as well, and cancel your auto insurance, your boat insurance, your life insurance, your fire insurance, your disability insurance..... I mean.... they never happen either, right?

Edited by doughickey

We use them! Yahoo.gif ? How do you know when an emergency is going to happen? Crazy.gif

Edited by srintx