Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

ACME 1237 on VLX

Hi,

Malibu sent me a ACME 1237 prop for our ´06 VLX. This is what they call a "high altitude" prop but what I really asked for, was a 1235.

I want a better hole-shot and tighter turns, will this do the job? From the spec, this prop has a smaller diameter and a larger cup.

Does anybody have any experiences so far with this one, or even bettter, any comparisons between the 1237 and the 1235?

///Viktor

Hi,

Malibu sent me a ACME 1237 prop for our ´06 VLX. This is what they call a "high altitude" prop but what I really asked for, was a 1235.

I want a better hole-shot and tighter turns, will this do the job? From the spec, this prop has a smaller diameter and a larger cup.

Does anybody have any experiences so far with this one, or even bettter, any comparisons between the 1237 and the 1235?

///Viktor

You want the 1235 on the VLX.

That is what I thought you were suppose to get when you order the High Altitude option. The spec that Malibu has for their high altitude option is "V-Drive Prop 14.5x14.25".

You want the 1235 on the VLX.

That is what I thought you were suppose to get when you order the High Altitude option. The spec that Malibu has for their high altitude option is "V-Drive Prop 14.5x14.25".

I just investigated this a bit more and I just got the wrong prop. The one I was supposed to get was a 1235 and that is the "high altitude" option or maybe it should be called the "get more ballast" option. Biggrin.gif

Thanks.

Dumb question, but are you sure its a 1237or is it a 1273 , the 1273 is the same diameter as the 1235 but with more cup , supposed to help stay of the limiter .

Dumb question, but are you sure its a 1237or is it a 1273 , the 1273 is the same diameter as the 1235 but with more cup , supposed to help stay of the limiter .

Vec if it's the 1237 I'd keep it.

• 3 years later...

Does anyone have any first hand experience with the Acme 1235 vs. the 1273? I hear the 1273 is better for top end cruising?

• 2 weeks later...

I've got a 2000 lsv Wakesetter (3400 lbs) that had a 537 prop (13.5 x 16) on it when I got it. It would top out at 43 mph at 5000 RPM with no ballast, one driver, no additional loads, smooth water. All around, I have been pretty happy with the prop skiing, wakeboard, and surfing.

Last week a bolted up a 1235 prop(14.5 x 14.25) to test it out. The difference was incredible on the low end, the boat would rev and accelerate like a hot rod. The tack appeared to climb effortlessly. A quick test found the boat would now top out at 40 mph (gps) at 5200 RPM under the same load and conditions, very quickly. A test surfing found the wave it produced while the fat sacks (about 3300 lbs) were full was much denser than before with the old prop. I cant explain why, but at the same speed, in the same boat, with the same weight the boat was so much easier to surf behind as its wave was now thicker and stronger. It wasn't a slight difference either, it was dramatic. The boat never struggled with the old prop either. For some reason the larger diameter prop made a much better surf wave. Crazy, but if you are a big guy (250 lbs) and you have problems getting enough push from your wave, the prop change could make all the difference.

Now for the cons of the 1235 prop on my boat. The boat revs very fast, accelerates very hard right to 5200RPM. I'm not sure if i have a rev limiter or not (?), but while I can watch to ensure I don't over rev it, my 15 y/o daughter might make a mistake and blow the engine up by over revving it.. Also, for skiing a slalom skier at 38 MPH, you are turning around 5000 RPM, which is kinda scary to have the revs up that high. So perfect its not, but it was pretty close. For surfing it was supreme, wake boarding and air chairing perfect again. Even tubing was super with it. Slalom skiing or general cruising at high speed was at RPM's higher than I was comfortable with.

We ski on a private lake and thus don't have to travel by water to a good ski spot. If I was in a situation where I covered a lot of water going somewhere, I would be concerned about this type of prop. Fuel use will increase...

I plan on trying the 1273 prop next. It may give me just a little less low end and still a great wave.

I hope these real world tests helped.

Good luck!

• 4 weeks later...

I've got a 2000 lsv Wakesetter (3400 lbs) that had a 537 prop (13.5 x 16) on it when I got it. It would top out at 43 mph at 5000 RPM with no ballast, one driver, no additional loads, smooth water. All around, I have been pretty happy with the prop skiing, wakeboard, and surfing.

Last week a bolted up a 1235 prop(14.5 x 14.25) to test it out. The difference was incredible on the low end, the boat would rev and accelerate like a hot rod. The tack appeared to climb effortlessly. A quick test found the boat would now top out at 40 mph (gps) at 5200 RPM under the same load and conditions, very quickly. A test surfing found the wave it produced while the fat sacks (about 3300 lbs) were full was much denser than before with the old prop. I cant explain why, but at the same speed, in the same boat, with the same weight the boat was so much easier to surf behind as its wave was now thicker and stronger. It wasn't a slight difference either, it was dramatic. The boat never struggled with the old prop either. For some reason the larger diameter prop made a much better surf wave. Crazy, but if you are a big guy (250 lbs) and you have problems getting enough push from your wave, the prop change could make all the difference.

Now for the cons of the 1235 prop on my boat. The boat revs very fast, accelerates very hard right to 5200RPM. I'm not sure if i have a rev limiter or not (?), but while I can watch to ensure I don't over rev it, my 15 y/o daughter might make a mistake and blow the engine up by over revving it.. Also, for skiing a slalom skier at 38 MPH, you are turning around 5000 RPM, which is kinda scary to have the revs up that high. So perfect its not, but it was pretty close. For surfing it was supreme, wake boarding and air chairing perfect again. Even tubing was super with it. Slalom skiing or general cruising at high speed was at RPM's higher than I was comfortable with.

We ski on a private lake and thus don't have to travel by water to a good ski spot. If I was in a situation where I covered a lot of water going somewhere, I would be concerned about this type of prop. Fuel use will increase...

I plan on trying the 1273 prop next. It may give me just a little less low end and still a great wave.

I hope these real world tests helped.

Good luck!

Great info - have you (or anyone else) been able to try and compare the 1273? Curious to see if you get the same benefits of the 1235, but stay away from the rev limiter given the cup size...

-Chris

• 1 month later...

I know this thread is old, but I just wanted to answer questions regarding the 1273 in case someone else comes across it in a search.

Most people could run the 1273 and 1235 back to back and not tell a difference. At the top end the 1273 will be a tiny bit faster (maybe 2MPH on a cold, flat day), so expect to see slightly less RPMs.