Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

night ride

outkastzkerry

...and I thought my surfing with sharks was a bad idea. You are braver man than I.

And it's not like you actually see the sharks...

just heard on the news that a guy on the west coast was killed today in a shark attack. he was training with a bunch of triatheletes...

Shark Attack

Edited by jgouveia3
Over the years we have ridden after dark a number of times. Yes, it's illegal most anywhere. But then again so is speeding on the highway, and I'd bet most all the members do it.

You have to be smart about it. If there is any way for things to go bad, don't do it.

Don't do it drunk.

Don't do it stoned.

Don't do it where there are hungry snakes & gators.

Don't do it where Johnny Law is going to reign on the parade.

Don't do it where there is ANY amount of boat traffic.

Do do it when there is a full moon out, and lots of stars.

Do put glowsticks on the rider's vest & the board/ski.

Do use your nav lights (we never used tower lighting).

Do things slow & deliberate, especially when pulling up to your swimming rider (it's kinda like playing Marco Polo when you were a kid).

The bottom line is don't be stupid. Realize that it's dangerous & either don't do it, or do it as smart as possible. We've had a lot of fun doing it & never had a problem.

We've done everything from surfing to waterskiing at 36mph at night (never had the cojones to try footin' Crazy.gif ), & this is by far & away some of the best advice that I've ever seen on the subject. I'll just add a couple of things of my own:

1. As a rule we do it only on larger bodies of water where there is a lot of room.

2. To elaborate on the tower lights, we've used them for surfing, but for anything faster than that it's better to go with as little extra light as possible. If you have a good moon & clear night, you'll have good visibility to see where the lake & shoreline converge, tower lights will just take away from that.

3. NEVER EVER do this on a body of water that you are not familiar with.

I personally have found that riding with alligators helps me stick more landings.

Now that's funny right there. ROFL.gif

...and I thought my surfing with sharks was a bad idea. You are braver man than I.

And it's not like you actually see the sharks...

just heard on the news that a guy on the west coast was killed today in a shark attack. he was training with a bunch of triatheletes...

Shark Attack

ya...I just read about it too. If I were smarter I'd give up surfing...gonna drop in at Ocean Beach tomorrow morning...any takers? Biggrin.gif

Sorry, I'll stop skewing the OP.

Over the years we have ridden after dark a number of times. Yes, it's illegal most anywhere. But then again so is speeding on the highway, and I'd bet most all the members do it.

You have to be smart about it. If there is any way for things to go bad, don't do it.

Don't do it drunk.

Don't do it stoned.

Do things slow & deliberate, especially when pulling up to your swimming rider (it's kinda like playing Marco Polo when you were a kid).

The bottom line is don't be stupid. Realize that it's dangerous & either don't do it, or do it as smart as possible. We've had a lot of fun doing it & never had a problem.

Kinda confused with your last small paragraph......?

Are you saying "Don't be stupid when you're stupid.... be smart when you're stupid!"?

I thought stupid was stupid. (A la Forrest Gump)

has/does anyone do night riding i wanted to add some lights to my tower but didnt know if it was even reasonable... it sounds like a good idea and fun but has anyone done it and could give me a idea on a light set up??

ooo and we have snakes and gators in our canals should i be worried??

New Orleans is my home town and I spent a lot of time on the water there. Out of curiosity where are you planning on going your night voyage?

Bill_AirJunky did give you good advise and in addition I would add if a red and green light is coming at you it is a boat - dah and if a red pair of eyes are between you and the boat it is a Gator.

-Dave

i deff know its against the law but if u dont get cough is not wrong Thumbup.gif but i see i deff got to be smart and safe about it.... but we ride the spillway (but they open the locks) so we wont be there for a while i live in harvey and store the boat about 5 min from the inter-costal and normally ride the canals there... and some time we ride the tangjabohoe-a (sp) but thats only if we feel like taking a hour road trip... but i mean we will see a gator or two and some snakes but they never bother us and we deff try not to bother them but i didnt know if they changed the mind at night about boats.... and i was just wondering if anyone did light bars and what not.....

I have driven at night a few times, but never done anything from behind the boat.

Driving full speed with no lights on is a thrill, but not the smartest thing I have ever done...probably won't do it again, but can't say for sure :)

Don't do it drunk.

Don't do it stoned.

Are you saying "Don't be stupid when you're stupid.... be smart when you're stupid!"?

I think that he's saying to minimize the danger as much as possible, but we already do that no matter when we're out, right? I would argue that some of the night sessions that I've been a part of were much safer than many of the days that I've spent on a packed lake filled with drunken idiots. JMO though. Dontknow.gif

Don't do it drunk.

Don't do it stoned.

I think that he's saying to minimize the danger as much as possible, but we already do that no matter when we're out, right? I would argue that some of the night sessions that I've been a part of were much safer than many of the days that I've spent on a packed lake filled with drunken idiots. JMO though. Dontknow.gif

I have driven at night a few times, but never done anything from behind the boat.

Driving full speed with no lights on is a thrill, but not the smartest thing I have ever done...probably won't do it again, but can't say for sure :)

I do it about 30 times during duck season. Nothing like running flat out at 0 Dark Thirty in a small aluminum boat in shallow water at 25-35 MPH Yahoo.gifGuns.gifPartytime.gif Most pleasure boaters would be crying like a baby.

Don't do it drunk.

Don't do it stoned.

Exactly. Thank you, T.

Anything we do behind a boat is dangerous to some degree. We do things like this partially for the thrill. I'm over 40 yrs old & still throwing up inverts like a high school kid, some of which I probably don't have any business doing. But it's the thrill that keeps me coming back. And the sense of accomplishment is 2nd to none.

The same thing can be said for riding at night. Yes, it's dangerous to some degree. But doing it as safe as possible, and getting it done safely, it a blast.

The OP asked if anyone here did it, not whether or not it was legal. I'm not encouraging anyone to do it. But just saying that IF your going to try anything like this, do it as safely as possible.

Don't do it drunk.

Don't do it stoned.

Do put glow sticks on the rider's vest & the board/ski.

Exactly. Thank you, T.

Anything we do behind a boat is dangerous to some degree. We do things like this partially for the thrill. I'm over 40 yrs old & still throwing up inverts like a high school kid, some of which I probably don't have any business doing. But it's the thrill that keeps me coming back. And the sense of accomplishment is 2nd to none.

The same thing can be said for riding at night. Yes, it's dangerous to some degree. But doing it as safe as possible, and getting it done safely, it a blast.

The OP asked if anyone here did it, not whether or not it was legal. I'm not encouraging anyone to do it. But just saying that IF your going to try anything like this, do it as safely as possible.

we do this alot but remember tower lights have to have something to reflect off of!! They don't work as well as a mill. candle watt spotlight and a few glow sticks on the rope help(DUH) BUT ONLY DO THIS WHEN SOBER!!! but its alot of fun not being able to see your surroundings

has/does anyone do night riding i wanted to add some lights to my tower but didnt know if it was even reasonable... it sounds like a good idea and fun but has anyone done it and could give me a idea on a light set up??

ooo and we have snakes and gators in our canals should i be worried??

New Orleans is my home town and I spent a lot of time on the water there. Out of curiosity where are you planning on going your night voyage?

Bill_AirJunky did give you good advise and in addition I would add if a red and green light is coming at you it is a boat - dah and if a red pair of eyes are between you and the boat it is a Gator.

-Dave

i deff know its against the law but if u dont get cough is not wrong Thumbup.gif but i see i deff got to be smart and safe about it.... but we ride the spillway (but they open the locks) so we wont be there for a while i live in harvey and store the boat about 5 min from the inter-costal and normally ride the canals there... and some time we ride the tangjabohoe-a (sp) but thats only if we feel like taking a hour road trip... but i mean we will see a gator or two and some snakes but they never bother us and we deff try not to bother them but i didnt know if they changed the mind at night about boats.... and i was just wondering if anyone did light bars and what not.....

Ouch, man, I can't even get through your first line. There is a key labelled "Shift" typically with an arrow on it, give it a whirl, you might even like it. Shocking.gif

Whew! Nice 80s suit there, D. Any chance that will make it to the buCrew swag? Rockon.gif

Just to keep you night riders honest..... years ago we're hanging out at Arizona Shores, Mike Mack's place on the Parker Strip. Just havin a few beers, jumpin on the trampoline, & talkin after a long day of riding on the river. It's dark, maybe 10pm, & we hear a boat motor running hard & fast, then stop, then a bunch of yelling. We jump in Mike's 2 Nautiques & rail up river to find debris everywhere, fiberglass, life jackets, seat cushions, etc. And we pull 4 people out of the drink. They we're drunk as can be & had been running a 28' picklefork boat up the river at night with no lights. All we could see of the boat was two sponsons sticking up from the water. The next morning we pulled two 300 horse Yamahas off the river bottom.

Nobody died that day. But come to find out these guys didn't own the boat they had sunk. They were so drunk they forgot to zig when the river zagged & bounced a boat worth probably $60k or $70k off the rocks. The boat owner may have bailed them out of jail the next day so he could kill them for destroying his boat though.

The bottom line is do it as safe as possible..... and SOBER! And have some fun with it.