Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

How long do you keep your boat?

Malibusteve

Average time you keep the same boat  

340 members have voted

1. 1. How long do you keep your boat or plan to keep it?

• less than 1 year...I have to have the latest & greatest
    • 1-3 years...I like the peace of mind that the warranty gives me
    • 3-5 years
    • 5 years or longer...I run it until it dies

martinarcher
Well, this is my 3rd boat, but first DD ski boat, had it for 6 months now. As I fix it up and compare it with newer boats, I can't imagine ever replacing it, until there is some MAJOR design change (hull shape, windshield, etc) that would grossly outdate it. Otherwise, people look at it and think it's a 5 year old boat, and it runs like one, so until then, why change?

Plus1.gif

My thoughts exactly!

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Malibudude

• 68Slalom

• auto

• 99response

I've kept every boat I've ever owned right up to the day I sold it. Innocent.gif

im not sure i know what you mean exactly. do people get rid of a bu with out selling?

I change muy boat every 3 years because I put 700 Hours per year on the engine.

I'm just guessing but Im sure you have most all of us beat and leaving most all of us envious.

Turned over my first 2 out board boats after 3 years each, then I bought the boat I always wanted with the severance pay after being downsized. Therefore I guess I buy a boat every time I get a good sized severance package. However, I am not planning on another downsize so I'll be keeping this one for a while.

Edited by Baddog
  • 5 weeks later...

First Boat - 1964 Larson 16', 70 HP Mercury OB, parents bought used in 1972, we kept until 1985.

This boat was so small and light it actually had an asesome ski wake. Wish we still had it.

(Every time I hear Alan Jackson's "Drive" it reminds me of this boat)

Second Boat - 1985 Sea Sprite - 19', 140 IO, parents bought new in 1985.

I bought from parents in 1992. Sold it in 2004 prior to first son heading to college.

THis boat was also great to ski behind. With a 4 cyl, the back was light, power trim could really flatten the wake.

Biggest problem was getting out of the water. top speed was 32 MPH and that was all there was.

The dark ages - 2004-2008 - we were the boatless people and spend $1000 / year renting from marinas when we got the itch.

Third boat - 2008 Malisbu LSV 21.5', 320 SHP, bought new in 2009.

So, history would say this one will be around awhile (13 years, 19 years).

History / Statistics would also say with each boat I added 6 years, 3 feet and doubled my power, so my next one will be a 2034, 24 footer with 650 HP!