Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

How long do you keep your boat?

Malibusteve

Average time you keep the same boat  

340 members have voted

1. 1. How long do you keep your boat or plan to keep it?

• less than 1 year...I have to have the latest & greatest
    • 1-3 years...I like the peace of mind that the warranty gives me
    • 3-5 years
    • 5 years or longer...I run it until it dies

My vote is forever, or close to it. Whatever it takes to maximize the value. We have an 01' VLX my wife and I bought in 03'. It's completely paid for, thankfully. We now have a 3yr old, and a 6 week old. My 3 year old, then 2, started skiing on a skimmer last year. He and my daughter can learn to ski and board behind it just as well as any newer boat. The wake with ballast and wedge is big enough for any boarding tricks I'll ever need to do. We plan on keeping it at least until they're grown and out of the house. As cool as the new 'bu's are, and they get cooler every year, I think our money will be better spent on appreciating assets/investments than on a newer boat. Maybe we'll get a new one for the grandkids to enjoy when the time comes. As long as the new one's aren't $250k+ by then.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Malibudude

• 68Slalom

• 99response

• 1FootDan

Every boat purchase will be 'forever'.

Then, all of a sudden, one day, it is just not doing it, and a new boat is desired.

Powerful stuff!

Sneaky, very powerful stuff!

Based on what I have been reading about issues with some new boats I am not in a hurry to sell mine. My 2002 Response LX has 0 problems with it now that I have PP installed.

I voted for 5 years or longer but there's no "ride it until it dies" We sold our last one after 11 years, and it was running great!! I'd expect it to run another 10 if they don't neglect it. Our '06 had better last 10 years!

I missed this one somehow. Had the Supra for 18 years. Outstanding machine. Replaced her in late 06 with the VLX. My youngest daugher doesn't like change and is still mad I sold the old boat. I miss the slalom wake, but migrated to boarding mostly and the big lake causes problems with a little slalom tractor like the Comp. I'd like to think we can keep the Bu that long. We'll have to wait and see, won't we.

Sunsetter lxi, beautiful wake, kick a** indmar, drives like a dream, hard to give that up.

Will probably keep it until it sinks.

We've had ours for four years... other than it being kinda tight (which is a given since its direct drive) and not having a tower, I'm very happy with it.

Still looks and runs like it did the day we bought it.

I guess we'll just keep it til we just REALLY want another haha.

When we got ours in 05' I thought we would have it for 3-4 years, but I don't have any plans to sell her soon. The cost of new boats has gone up so much that I just can't fathom spending that much more on a boat unless/when they come out with something that is REALLY superior to my current Bu. Any wants I have now would be to jump up to the 23LSV, but we don't need the room, just would kinda like it. Whistling.gif

• 2 weeks later...

3-5 years. I buy used, so that is going to be in the 12-14 year old range. the boat should still have under 500 hrs, which is marketable. I plan on keeping it extra clean for the next owner :)

• 10 months later...

We're at 5 years and counting now, and there's now way I'd sell it for the boats out there now. I just got done putting in $4k to improve the boat. Some new skins from Chi, new wetsounds 3-Some and amps, tower light, some new racks, and just plumbed in four Pro-X sacs. I've just put too much work into it to give it up until I've got a least another couple hundred hours on it.... probably a lot more. I love Malibu boats Thumbup.gif

Current "everyday" boat, I see no current reason to sell...ever. It's great looking, reliable, and does everything we want it to do. When the kids get older, we may make a change, but no plans.

Funny thread actually. My Dad and I just bought our old boat "back". Let's just say it's a correct craft thats more than 25 years old, we had for 10 years, sold for 10, and now bought back to restore and cruise in. Weird, I know....but nostalgia is a powerful thing!

My first boat 1984 Malibu skier, had 3 years 96 to 99. In 99 no rain no water in lake, sold the boat. All winter tough about a new one, ordered a 2000 sporty this is 10th year would like a new one.I just can't see paying 45 to 50k.My sporty look new runs strong. I'll keep it.

Edited by pkenney

Had a '99 Moomba for 3 years, a '03 Centurion for 5 years, and now a '08 VLX......and the wife says we better keep this boat for a while Whistling.gif

I guess I get way too attached to stuff... My '87 was ordered new and it's over 1800 hrs now (athough "freshened up" with new engine internals, restored upholstery, etc, etc a couple of years ago); almost an antique, but runs great! I watched my kids grow up in this boat, and it's very comfortable for my wife and I (like a pair of old tennis shoes - not that I wear them) in and behind this boat. It's a keeper... We designed this boat (5 gelcoat/5 upholstery color) back in the day with tracing paper and Crayolas; Dragon Red, Strato Black, Cadet Gray, Charcoal Gray, White - in that order.

This was one of the first boats (I believe) with an Indmar; I spec'd the 300SP - basically a Chevy truck motor with 4 bolt mains and a couple of performance goodies and, to my knowledge, was one of the first Skiers in New England. I had to pick it up near Pittsburgh PA, and nearly lost it over the guardrail in a blizzard through NY state...

It must be a New England thing. Some of us tend to hang onto boats, and just pass them down. There's a inboard on our lake now owned by the great-grandson of the original owner.

Oh the memories

Well I kept my first boat, an '86 Skier for 10 years. With the amount of convincing it took to get my wife to agree to a new boat and the cost, I bet I will keep this boat for at least 10 years, probably longer. But you never know.

martinarcher
I guess I get way too attached to stuff... My '87 was ordered new and it's over 1800 hrs now (athough "freshened up" with new engine internals, restored upholstery, etc, etc a couple of years ago); almost an antique, but runs great! I watched my kids grow up in this boat, and it's very comfortable for my wife and I (like a pair of old tennis shoes - not that I wear them) in and behind this boat. It's a keeper... We designed this boat (5 gelcoat/5 upholstery color) back in the day with tracing paper and Crayolas; Dragon Red, Strato Black, Cadet Gray, Charcoal Gray, White - in that order.

This was one of the first boats (I believe) with an Indmar; I spec'd the 300SP - basically a Chevy truck motor with 4 bolt mains and a couple of performance goodies and, to my knowledge, was one of the first Skiers in New England. I had to pick it up near Pittsburgh PA, and nearly lost it over the guardrail in a blizzard through NY state...

It must be a New England thing. Some of us tend to hang onto boats, and just pass them down. There's a inboard on our lake now owned by the great-grandson of the original owner.

Oh the memories

That is awesome. Thumbup.gif

I change muy boat every 3 years because I put 700 Hours per year on the engine.

I wouldn't know how to react if I could spend that much time on my boat Cheers.gif

Well, this is my 3rd boat, but first DD ski boat, had it for 6 months now. As I fix it up and compare it with newer boats, I can't imagine ever replacing it, until there is some MAJOR design change (hull shape, windshield, etc) that would grossly outdate it. Otherwise, people look at it and think it's a 5 year old boat, and it runs like one, so until then, why change?

We are on the 4th season now and the boat still feels new too me. Maybe I don't use it enough but I would like to think that even if the economy were good.... I would still be keeping my boat for an extended period of time. Partially because of the time and effort put into buying, and deciding the colors and schemes, Than adding all of the options ... we really put a lot of thought into it! When buying any " Big Ticket " items I've always tried to get the most I can for the least amount of $$$ being spent and that way if I decide to get another boat or move on in a different direction I won't feel bad or upside down about the purchase. IMHO