Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Malibu cruise default to on?

This is how skicrave set up my 07 vride and have to say it is so nice with the default set to on.....

just through the boarder out .....fire up the boat and go Rockon.gif

I've got a 2007 VLX (earlier model) which does NOT have the Cruise On/Cruise Off selections under the Favorite menu. All it has is Clock, Engine, Speed Tach. I guess I'm out of luck. Bummer!!! I really wish I could default this to on since I always forget to turn it on after switching riders.

Bryan

Yes, that's exactly what mine shows. I guess I'm a little confused as to why they would reference it in the manual, particularly since mine is such an early '06 model. I might have to do a little digging on that one.

If I had to guess I would say there was a delay between when they planned on implementing the feature, and when they actually got it out there.

Unfortunately the software for this feature is embedded and can't be upgraded through a firmware flash (indeed there isn't even a way to connect to the chip it is stored on). I supposed one could install a new MMDC to gain the software that unlocks this feature, but I'm not sure what other compatibility issues you would encounter doing that.

This drives me nuts! I'm so used to PP that I always forget to turn it on after switching riders. I have an early 07. I checked it out this weekend and I don't have the option. Thanks for the information though....

So over the weekend I was thinking....I wonder how much a new MMDC is???

This drives me nuts! I'm so used to PP that I always forget to turn it on after switching riders. I have an early 07. I checked it out this weekend and I don't have the option. Thanks for the information though....

If you find out, let me know. I've done dumber things with my money before. :)

Thanks for the post skicrave. I am going to look into this as well. Mine is actually set to default to on and I would rather it not. Of course remembering the last setting when the key is off would be ideal, but I am not a fan of default to on.

Unfortunately I doubt it's that simple. There will most likely be software (or even hardware) incompatibilities introduced by the new MMDC. I'm not saying that's the case for sure, and it will most likely take someone ponying up for a new module to see what happens, but I wouldn't be surprised if the newer MMDC isn't happy when it doesn't see things it expects.

A $400 (a rough guess) experimentation like that would be tough to justify.

My boat came out in June of 07 and it doesn't have this option. Oh well, I guess it's back to remember to push that damn button every time!

It's not a big deal for me, but when I have others pull me there just doesn't seem to be anything like doing 30 mph on a wakeboard!

That's when it was produced, or that's when you picked it up? That's pretty late in the year to still have the older MMDC, perhaps the information I provided above isn't entirely accurate if your boat was actually made in 0607.

OK - I believe that my 07 has that option on it, but I'm still a bit confused. Does that setting default it to ON, or does it default it to "Previous state"?

Skicrave, I agree you can turn it off at any speed, but at least on my boat, the throttle feels different when you do that. Like it doesn't want to give 100% throttle control. May just be me though.

No I completely agree! It's like there is a ghost of the system that doesn't REALLY want to release control of the boat. I think it may have been designed that way in case you accidentally hit the disarm button while pulling someone so you still get a moderate amount of speed control without having to slow down to re-engage.

That's when it was produced, or that's when you picked it up? That's pretty late in the year to still have the older MMDC, perhaps the information I provided above isn't entirely accurate if your boat was actually made in 0607.

That is when it was produced. Mid May was the spray date in 07. I would say you couldn't get much later in the production year.

Edited by Helinut
  • 2 months later...

This is out of my 06 Malibu Owners manual, which I didn't receive with my boat, but got off the Malibu site.

Setup

When you first turn on the ignition of your boat, you will see the screen above, followed

by a Setup menu. To navigate the system menus, use the up ↑ arrow. When you arrive to

the screen you would like to use or setup press the E (Enter) on the display panel. To exit

the setup menu, press the E (Enter); this will return you to your default screen.

Setup E (Enter)

Contrast: Display used to lighten or darken display screen – scroll through display

until desired lightness is attained.

Units English/Metric: To switch from English or Metric Display, press the up ↑

arrow. Press E (Enter) again to return to setup.

Favorite: Use the Favorite screen setup to show your favorite screen in the display

menu. Once programmed, your Display menu will default to this screen. These are

the available screens that can be shown:

Malibu Cruise

Ballast Monitoring

Boat Systems – Batt, Temp, Oil, Fuel %

Clock

Tachometer/Speed

No mention about of "cruise on" or "cruise off"

Then on setting the cruise it states

Located on the upper left corner of the display menu is the Malibu Cruise Control. To

activate the Malibu Cruise system, press the CRUISE button on the display panel. The

Cruise will default to the OFF position. To turn the Cruise on, press the Cruise button

again, and the system will be activated. The Cruise system will default to the last SET

speed display, and can be increased or decreased by pressing the up or down arrows. To

exit the Cruise display, press Cruise and you will return to the default screen.

My problem is I can't get the cruise to turn on, when cruise button is depressed for the second time as stated in the above instructions, it just switches to engine RPM/Speed, when pressed again it just keeps scrolling thru the menu.

Any ideas on what I'm doing wrong? Earlier in this tread someone wrote it won't work if within 6 MPH, I guess that I'll try that the next time I'm out.

My problem is I can't get the cruise to turn on, when cruise button is depressed for the second time as stated in the above instructions, it just switches to engine RPM/Speed, when pressed again it just keeps scrolling thru the menu.

Any ideas on what I'm doing wrong? Earlier in this tread someone wrote it won't work if within 6 MPH, I guess that I'll try that the next time I'm out.

To activate/de-activate my cruise, I have to push the red button. If I push the Cruise button, I toggle between engine and RPM control options.

G-Pac

To activate/de-activate my cruise, I have to push the red button. If I push the Cruise button, I toggle between engine and RPM control options.

G-Pac

Yup, you need to hit the cruise button once, then hit the red button to turn it on and off.