Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

USA WS issues statement

martho

Gotta agree with skisix & Rover on this one, I seriously doubt that Malibu will lose sales over this.  Most people that have seen what's happened are blaming the doctor, not the boat that pulled him.  He's not even sponsored by Malibu, if that were the case then things might be a little different.

I'm still floored that someone would try something like this.

I heard that he was picked up by malibu about a month ago, and this fact is a predictae to my opinions on a statement.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JohnDoe

• responselx03

• doughickey

• skisix@38

Malibu will lose boat sales over this. There will be an unconscious stigma that will stick with Malibu's name when non-malibu-boat-owners see other Malibus and ads in the future.

Sorry, but I completely disagree with this. If anything Dr. Jim getting caught cheating at the "Malibu" Open will help Malibu because of all the publicity that will include their brand name. Can anybody really see somebody deciding between two boats and thinking to themselves, "Gee, I really like this malibu but weren't they the sponsors for that tournament where a guy was caught cheating".

Much more likely is that the masses of casual boaters and two-plankers who may never have even heard of malibu before will think of malibu when they think of tournament ski boats so maybe they'll look into malibus when buying their next boat.

Wwwwwwait. Malibu agrees to host THEIR tournament at the personal site of the skier they just signed, their boats used, their organizing committee, and their claims about records falling...and Malibu is getting positive publicity? Come on. I would absolutley be all over MCs case if they let the mastercraft open take place at the personal site of one of their team skiers who then gets caught cheating if MC did not come right out and at least be honest about what they know. Malibu doesn't need to ostercize Jim yet, but they have to address the situation.

It's the same concept as recalls. You get a heck of a different feeling from a company takes the opportunity to grab the mic and explain why their product is being recalled than you do when you take a car in for a service and the SM says, and we did that recall. One seizes the opportunity to instill confidence, the other hides. In a market of 10,000 boats annually, malibu has to keep their reputation as a leader, not a hider if they want to continue to be the best.

I'm not even saying that Dr. has done anything wrong. The evidence looks bad, but whether he did anything wrong or not is not the point, the point is that Malibu needs to acknowledge the controversy and take a position on how it feels about cheating.

Edited by wakebrdgod

Chris Parrish is a team skier, Drew Ross is a team skier, Dr. J is not. Your right in that Bu would need to take some action if one of their team skiers was caught cheating at their title tournament. Still, no response with bu is needed about the "Stuff" that happened.

Go to www.tmcowners.com The MC people are as astonished and disgusted at the Dr. as everyone else BUT, no one is pointing fingers at Malibu thinking it's their fault, just like no one would blame MC for some up-and-comer getting into their tourney and getting caught cheating- it's the individuals problem. The marketing folks at bu are probably hoping this story keeps going 'cause it's harmless to them- they didn't cheat anyone, and everytime someone talks about it they say "malibu" , great free advertising.

Now, if folks started pointing the fingers at Malbu about some type of impropriety, then I think you are correct and they would need to come out with something to defend the good name of malibu.

When folks try to cheat at the Goode national wateerski championship and get caught, no one blames Goode, they blame the cheater.

I couldn't say for sure but, The Dr. probably went to bu and said I got this great site and you can use, for free, for your malibu open if you let me ski in it. If you had a great "world record lake" in your backyard and wanted to hold a tournament there and let the title sponser use it free of charge, I'm sure they would consider it. After this the TC might have a longer check list

Edited by skisix@38
When folks try to cheat at the Goode national wateerski championship and get caught, no one blames Goode, they blame the cheater.

What's that? Blame the party that is responsible? What a concept!! :lol:

Chris Parrish is a team skier, Drew Ross is a team skier, Dr. J is not. 

You sure he didn't get signed not long ago? Thats what my point is based on. It's all the dots in the line that point to impropriety.

I disagree with you about the MC tourney. MC signs a new skier, hosts the MC open at his site which MC is in charge of running, I son't start accusing, but I do start Thinking about impropriety...thats all a statement from malibu is to avoid.

My view is Malibu should have made a public statement, now it is getting to late. Hiding behind USAWS wasn't an option. i thinks that even is USAWS was running the show Malibu had the right to inform the people.

Like it was said before it is not a question of taking one side or the other is it more of relating the fact or even say something like 'we are aware with some incident... and we are working and supporting UASWS in any of their decisions...'

Just that would have work... but it had to be done Friday!!!

Now if you want to put a spin on it they could have also said

'Us at Malibu Believe Good Sportmanship and will Work actively with USAWS to find the truth on this story. Because we are serious people, who sell serious stuff. At Malibu we don't fool around' OKOK i'm not a Marketing guy but i'm sure you get my idea

What i'm saying is they had an opportunity to step up and even get media coverage of free and they didn't get it ...

I'm not mad at Malibu i Love my boat.

It is just , As a proud owner of Malibu, i would have expected them to stand up during the little storm, instead of Hiding

JP

What's that? Blame the party that is responsible? What a concept!! :lol:

That is exactly why Malibu should take responsibility for their part. Not for the cheating (if there was), but take responsibility for failing to investigate course, for the appearance of impropriety, and for letting everyone down with the integrity of the tournament. Malibu may not have pulled the cord, but their hands are not clean here, even if they didn't know of the alleged pulleys.

What a concept!! What a concept!! What a concept!!

Either way, it's getting a little late now, I feel overwhlemingly confident that Malibu had no knowledge of such a thing, but I think they missed a golden opportunity to quell any suspicion.

Edited by wakebrdgod

Back to DR JIM...I don't know how his wife and children reacted to this... For them i feel sad and wish them all the best. they certainly didn't deserve it!!!

Why does Malibu "sponsor" a tournament? Good business exposure and more sales.

Now, 2 more questions:

A/ If it's a fantabulous tournament, will they stand up and bow and take some credit for whatever happened and hope to get additional sales from the exposure? (Of course, no other reason to spend money on an event. Simple business.)

B/ If something goes wrong at a tournament, doesn't it follow the same pattern of reasoning that they should take some heat for it's "failure" of sorts?

If they want to take the credit when stufff is good..... they should expect to take some heat when it's bad.

Can't have it one way... but not the other.

Yes, like it or not, they have some ownership here.

I don't see Malibu as responsibile for the tournament or problems with it. Those things are the responsibility of USA Waterski (or whatever group sanctions the event). The sponsor just puts up prize money, boats, etc for the tournament. USA Waterski should be accountable for insuring that the RULES are FOLLOWED, and all equipment meets spec. If USA Waterski does not do a better job in the future they will have problems finding sponsors. It really makes me wonder how many times has this happened when no one got caught.

Edited by BillFooter

Nobody is saying Malibu is responsible. People are saying that Malibu is missinga golden opportunity to seperate themselves from the stigma. And why would USAWSA lose sponsors? Because of the appearance of impropriety and companies want to distance themselves...the exact reason Malibu should come out and say something.

no real new news, but here's an e-mail update I received from Gordon Rathbun...

Skiers,

The board of directors of AWSA and USA Water Ski are working hard at coming to a conclusion on the Jim Michael's cheating problem. Since Michael's won't admit his crime he is causing a lot of work for decent hard working people who give their time freely to support the sport. I am sure the board is looking at as much video as they can from other people on his supposed other records. Since Michael's has stated that a friend wanted him to do well and he had no knowledge of the course moving for his run, the board needs to look into that. Just in case some of you out there actually believe Michael's, a 15' off course skier could tell if a course was 4 ft narrow (2 ft. on either side). There are more blogs to read on the website of Water Ski Magazine at: http://www.waterskimag.com/.

You can go to: http://www.usawaterski.org/ once or twice a day and look for any updated news on this issue.

I said I wouldn't write any more on this, but I had to keep you guys updated.

It's raining like crazy here in Acapulco, finally!!!

Adios,

Gordon

What you all may not understand is that Bu was just writing checks and putting up banners. They were not responsible in any way for the set up of the tournament. That's all done regionally, they have TC's and chief judges and such that work together as governed by USAWS. Bu had no control or influence over these things.

The other things, however minor, was this happened in the preliminary round, this is the round where they ski to decide who gets to enter the tournament. In all accounts, the tournament went very well and some really good scores were posted and some deserving skiers took home some prize money. All that happened was that a nobody masquerading as an elite skier got found out.

What you all may not understand is that Bu was just writing checks and putting up banners.  They were not responsible in any way for the set up of the tournament.  That's all done regionally, they have TC's and chief judges and such that work together as governed by USAWS.  Bu had no control or influence over these things. 

We all know that. My point is that Malibu is missing an opportunity to sperate themselves from the alleged scandal for the benefit of people that don't know that... or that don't even know what 41 off means. The statement is not for our benefit, it's for potential customers' benefit.

I think that the people who don't know what 41'off means don't know that there was a tournament that Malibu had and don't know Dr. Jim. These same people don't know that there is a www.themalibucrew.com and all the other sites that have reported this incident. I could be wrong and this is just my perspective. I don't feel liek Bu has anything to come clean about or anything to seperate themselves from.

We all know that. My point is that Malibu is missing an opportunity to sperate themselves from the alleged scandal for the benefit of people that don't know that... or that don't even know what 41 off means. The statement is not for our benefit, it's for potential customers' benefit.

70% of the market doesn't care what 41' off means.

Now, if Dallas Friday or Darin Shapiro were involved in some type of nefarious activity, maybe a public statement would be necessary.

I think we're just coming from different perspectives. I understand from my limited tournament experience that Malibu has nothing to do with it, but there are many who will hear of teh scandal and just assume that because it's the "Malibu Open" that they were involved. From my perspective, the statement isn't for us, for TMC, or for tournament skiers...its's for people that have an I/O that ski on wide skis that are debating buying an inboard. I find it hard to believe that someone liek that will read about this story and then not make the asscoiation when they see a Malibu on the water. The VAST majority of buyers are not competitive skiers at all, which is why I don't think they don't understand the connection...or lack therefof

I have tried to not pass judgment on whether he's guilty or not, but I admit I am very intrigued. Check out this link.

www.jsonline.com/news/wauk/jun05/337528.asp

Edited by wakebrdgod

You can tell we're all starved for new information, and I hesitate to take part in beating this very dead horse into total oblivion, but I just don't believe anybody in the I/O crowd that might buy a new inboard has even had this story hit their radar screen. I agree with Martho and skisix...the vast majority of the boating public doesn't know or care that we exist, have never seen or heard of TMC, MBO, Malibu, or Dr. Jim Michaels, and stare at me blankly when I excitedly try to explain the insidous migration of balls 1, 3, and 5. Even good skiing friends could care less. Of the 1,000 people in the entire world that give a fig about this, how many will honestly have this even remotely enter into their buying decision? The rest are totally oblivious ('cause they're half-stoned wakeboarders burning Dad's money Biggrin.gif ) and will buy whatever boat they choose based on color, price, features, dealer, moon phase or other objective criteria.

I think it would be perfectly appropriate for Malibu to come out with a statement similar to what wakebrdgod is suggesting, since their name was all over a great yet somewhat tainted tournament. I wouldn't do it because I thought it was going to impact sales, but just to support the integrity of the sport. Making a statement that goes overboard or before all the facts are gathered could come back to haunt them however.