Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Who wears waterskis behind a 247?

RedOwl

I have a 2010 247 that I have tried slalom skiing behind it. I wasn't a fan, I thought there was a pretty big bump if you were skiing pretty aggressive. If you are pulling someone on 2 skis 25 mph-ish, not really a big deal. I have barefooted a number of times behind it (when my other one was in for repairs), and that was doable, would pull me at 42 mph with the LS3.  Not going to do a bunch of wake crossings, but it wasn't bad getting up, even backwards, just had a larger wake to get out of.  (using the tower was helpful for that and a good driver).

I do own a 2003 Response LXi also, that is my slalom/barefoot boat.  Trust me, there is a reason I own 2 Malibu boats.  Can't give up a DD pull, no way.

ahopkins22LSV

There’s a gigantic difference between a wake that 95-98% recreational skiers are going to be happy with and what the 1% of us who want a wake that will mimic skiing 22-35 off in the course at 32-36mph. This is a huge problem with course skiers. I believe that most recreational skiers will be happy especially if they are willing to experiment with speeds and line lengths to find that sweet spot. 

I’m not saying this because the I think the recreational skiers are any less or less important. I’m saying this for the exact opposite reason! The problem lies with the 1%’s which provide most of the skiing feedback online who typically state, unless it’s perfect to my standards, it’s crap. It’s a problem we as skiers need to change. 

@Cole2001 what boat is he coming from? Or what does he ski behind now if he doesn’t own? This can help. 

2 hours ago, ahopkinsVTX said:

@Cole2001 what boat is he coming from? Or what does he ski behind now if he doesn’t own? This can help. 

This is his first boat himself. It’s his fiancé who is the water skier, I believe she grew up skiing behind a DD and would like to get back into skiing.
They’ve been out with friends on decent surf boats and liked that so trying not to sacrifice both. I believe his dad has an I/O that they’ve used so not totally set on DD performance. 

• Like 1
14 hours ago, ahopkinsVTX said:

I’m not saying this because the I think the recreational skiers are any less or less important. I’m saying this for the exact opposite reason! The problem lies with the 1%’s which provide most of the skiing feedback online who typically state, unless it’s perfect to my standards, it’s crap. It’s a problem we as skiers need to change.

I wind up teaching three or four (or more!) novice slalom skiers each summer it seems.   Frankly, they progress way faster, have way more fun, and are way more safe (ie. falls) when the wake is not a major issue.  Also, I coach some of the neighbours with I/Os where the wake is large and hard as a rock (how DO  boat designers get such light boats to have such hard wakes??) and they get better faster behind my RLX.

I'm not saying the occasional slalom skier won't be fine behind the USS Nimitiz, but anyone coming from a previous skiing background will appreciate the wakes of, say, a VTX over an LSV25.  Or even a decent 21-23 surf boat sufficiently lightened and properly captained.

22 hours ago, Cole2001 said:

It’s his fiancé who is the water skier

Like Dad used to say "A happy wife is a happy life".  Mine insists that I ski first when the tank is full - and that is not because she is being considerate.  LOL