Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Dual Battery

jesutton3

Thanks for the advice but Blue Seas said I should use one starter for starting the motor and then a deep cycle for the accessories. He said the ACR is design to isolate the batteries and protect your accessories when starting the boat. I have a starter battery now so the least expensive way for me is to just get one deep cycle. I"m not planning on putting Optimas in at this point.

I guess either would work, just persoanl preferance.

Thanks

Jim

• 2 months later...

Finally got the Blue Sea system setup and added an onboard charger (thanks NV Boarder)

Dual battery system at a pretty good price:

http://shop.pkys.com/index.asp?PageAction=...&ProdID=928

Noticed skidim is also now carying this, but I'll take $93 over $149 any day of the week.

Finished product (crumby picture)

post-2790-1215125459_thumb.jpg post-2790-1215125524_thumb.jpg

Seems to be working well, so I give the ACR and Switch (which does have combine mode for emergencies) a thumbs up.

Finally got the Blue Sea system setup and added an onboard charger (thanks NV Boarder)

Dual battery system at a pretty good price:

http://shop.pkys.com/index.asp?PageAction=...&ProdID=928

Noticed skidim is also now carying this, but I'll take $93 over $149 any day of the week.

Finished product (crumby picture)

post-2790-1215125459_thumb.jpg post-2790-1215125524_thumb.jpg

Seems to be working well, so I give the ACR and Switch (which does have combine mode for emergencies) a thumbs up.

Where do you plug the charger in?

I ran a heavy exterior extension cord zip tied up under the gunnel (sp?) up around the bow and down to the nook between the stereo and the netted storage area next to the motor, coiled up. A 25 footer left ~10' to work with at the male end. I had hard wired a light switch / outlet in my storage shed right at that point so I just pull out the cord and plug in when I get the boat back in.

post-2790-1215704223_thumb.jpg

7650.jpg

Hi folkes.

I just purchased a 1988 Skier and ran it the other day on Flamming Gorge and It was awsome.

I am going to install a stereo, cb and fish finder and a new battery along with the start batt, and I want to Isolate the Start and house so my start is never being drained.

I get confused real easy with electronic stuff. If I purchase the above bluesea, is this all I need or do I need any other components?

If I understand this,

it works by starting the boat off the start batt allways.

but lets the house batt run down when the boat is not running. till I start the engine and automatically recharges both batts?

Am I close?

• 9 months later...
Am I close?

Yep, Think that's all you need plus cables. I didn't even use the Starting isolation feature (optional).

More detailed wiring schematic can be found here.

http://bluesea.com/category/2/productline/docs/329

GG,

Did you install the Blue Sea "Add a Battery" system? I bought one and thought the install was going to be straight forward. I'm reasonably competent with electronics, but this one has me confused. I never owned a "Bu" before and this is being installed in a new '08 247. Maybe I'm trying to make more of it than there is. Reading the "Install Dual Circut Plus Battery Switch & ACR" app. note. http://bluesea.com/viewresource/69 . This wiring layout is more complex than mini-manual and sales lit.

1. (Minor issue - but confusing). I thought the whole purpose of this was for ACR to sense which battery needed charging and auto switch to correct battery. If so, to make this happen, you need config. 3 (and jumper required) to sense voltage from both batteries.

2. My 247 came with one battery. There are three Red positive cables. Heaviest gauge goes to alternator. 2nd goes under floor to ignition and (house distribution) fuse box for accessories, lights, muxes, etc. 3rd connects directly to stereo.

Picking 2nd drawing at bottom of page,"Start Battery Bank connected to Charging source"

Issues - Drawing shows 3 + wires from STARTER Battery - 1. to alternator 2. bottom terminal of circut 2 on 5511e (Dual Circut Plus switch) & 3. to Terminal A on ACR. The top terminal on circut 2 is shown wired to starter on engine. Where does that wire come from? Do I have to run additional wire back to engine?

If connection to starter is meant to be ignition switch, then this creates another problem. How do you isolate the house distribution panel from starting circut (purpose of this exercise) (which is shown wired to terminal A of circut 1 on 5511e) when there is only one + wire running to panel and ignition under floor. Is an additional + wire need to be run? I think I'm missing something here. The circut drawing on 5511e manual/install guide is shown much simpler, but I question if it will work correctly.

I plan all wiring to be 4awg. Is this OK? There is a new app note on adding a fuse to NEGATIVE circut with recommended fuse size. What size fuses should I have between both Start & House batteries and ACR terminals A & B? I'm not sure of amp rating alternator pulls?

Whistling.gif

Thanks for any insight.

Pete

Edited by scanr