Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Couple of questions...winterizing/dewinterizing

I'm just updating some of the info from the winterization guide with what I've seen on my 07 Monsoon. First, there seems to be two knock sensors, one on each side that are removed with a 1/2" wrench. They are held on by a nylock fastener. Then you can slip a 1" (yes 1") deep socket over the plugs on the engine block. I suppose a wrench would do, but I went and bought a one inch deep socket and it was much easier than trying to fiddle with a crescent wrench down there.

My shower gets it's hot water from the driver side location, and there is no knock sensor there. So when I disconnect all the shower hoses, it's draining that side of the block. The passenger side knock sensor is like you describe, 1" around. But I used that white thread tape on it last spring & so I was able to pull it off with my bare hand this time around.

I installed two flush Ts in the heater lines down in the bilge. So all I do is remove the caps & gravity drains the heater. I also installed a T up by the core in case I need to fill it with antifreeze or blow it all out.

I also noticed that my core was installed with the hoses on top. I flipped it around so the hoses were on the bottom & it would drain easily.

Edited by Bill_AirJunky
I'm just updating some of the info from the winterization guide with what I've seen on my 07 Monsoon. First, there seems to be two knock sensors, one on each side that are removed with a 1/2" wrench. They are held on by a nylock fastener. Then you can slip a 1" (yes 1") deep socket over the plugs on the engine block. I suppose a wrench would do, but I went and bought a one inch deep socket and it was much easier than trying to fiddle with a crescent wrench down there.

Also, I have some questions:

1. I have a K&N air filter with a hose clamp holding it in place. Attached to that hose clamp is a hose from the engine that just seems to hang there open into the engine compartment with oil? on the inside? Any insight into this mystery hose would be helpful as I didn't notice it until I removed the air filter and I don't see a place for it to go back into the engine. Please keep in mind that I am a nerd and only very moderately mechanically inclined.

2. I changed the Y-fitting this spring from the heater to the low rpm spot before the raw water pump so as I ran the drill pump like someone suggested to fill the heater core with antifreeze I started thinking it wouldn't continue to flush all the way through the engine rather it would just come out the raw water intake. The boat sits outside in a portable garage during the winter and I am in Idaho so I would like to err on the cautious side and have antifreeze throughout the system. I could then drain it if I want, but I am pretty chicken of water remaining in the shower and heater.

3. Also, can I still fog the cylinders by spraying into the air intake as suggested with the newer monsoon? The dealership up here sprays directly into the cylinders and I seem to remember someone commenting that the fogging oil has further to travel on the newer engines and can clog or somehow cause a problem between the air intake and the cylinders.

Man, now that I reread this, I don't know if my questions are even questions, rather, they are a bunch of vague collections of engine terms. Good luck deciphering!

Thanks

I recall reading that some where (spraying fogging oil directly into the cylinders) then reading later someone said specifically not to do that, that it was a very bad idea, but I don't recall the specific reason.

EDIT ***

Hey, this is important stuff - depending on the engine you have either you should, or should not be fogging directly into the cylinders. Bakes was kind enough to set me straight on this. With the newer motors with the cat, absolutely do not fog through the intake, you will mess up the emissions. With older motors, I read you risk vapor lock and some serious problems if you do fog through the spark plugs (noted in the winterization guide aforementioned). So, best advice, contact your dealer or Indmar directly on which way to go for your motor.

Edited by TheBlackPearl

My shower gets it's hot water from the driver side location, and there is no knock sensor there. So when I disconnect all the shower hoses, it's draining that side of the block. The passenger side knock sensor is like you describe, 1" around. But I used that white thread tape on it last spring & so I was able to pull it off with my bare hand this time around.

I installed these two flush Ts in the heater lines down in the bilge. So all I do is remove the caps & gravity drains the heater. I also installed a T up by the core in case I need to fill it with antifreeze or blow it all out.

I also noticed that my core was installed with the hoses on top. I flipped it around so the hoses were on the bottom & it would drain easily.

How did you access the heater core? If memory serves me correctly, it is behind the driver's side kick panel. Do you have to pull the sub and kick panel to access it?

"Remove water hose connecting to bottom end of transmission cooler"

I did this and emptied the hose, but will this really drain the water out of the tranmission?

It looks like I have 2 large hoses going to the top and a 5/8 hose into the starboard side/top of the tranny.

I'm not sure if it holds water in it that needs drained and I'm concerned that I'm leaving water in that I should be draining.

I can't find a drain plug on it.

How did you access the heater core? If memory serves me correctly, it is behind the driver's side kick panel. Do you have to pull the sub and kick panel to access it?

Yea, my core was screwed into the kick panel, behind the sub. Hoses go thru the stringer to the rear. Pull the sub & you will see it.

for the heater, I disconnect both hoses, the one from the engine block the other from the Y connector on the hose just past the impeller, then blow through them until all the water is out, then using a small funnel I add environmentally safe antifreeze at one end until it comes out the other end, then I'm done with the heater. The AF will then be in the core in case you didn't blow all the water out as there may be some trapped in the low spots, but with the AF you're good to go.