Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Slow drain on battery

Relay

It so simple, I don't get why more people don't use it. I run a 3000w Stereo blast it all day and start the boat all the time, you turn the key start the engine. I guess some people are worried if they turn the key and wait and long enough the batteries will equalize and not have the juice to start the boat,the batteries don't drain in 3 seconds or 10 or.... heck, they can run stereos for hrs before they die. I haven't had a problem since my relay was installed Sept 03.maybe one day it will die but I have the skills to bypass it if needed :) Put a Perko in front of it for the days you don't feel warm and fuzzy about the thing Biggrin.gif

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• WakeGirl

• D-GOOSE

• Sunsetter95

• 68Slalom

Relay

It so simple, I don't get why more people don't use it. I run a 3000w Stereo blast it all day and start the boat all the time, you turn the key start the engine. I guess some people are worried if they turn the key and wait and long enough the batteries will equalize and not have the juice to start the boat,the batteries don't drain in 3 seconds or 10 or.... heck, they can run stereos for hrs before they die. I haven't had a problem since my relay was installed Sept 03.maybe one day it will die but I have the skills to bypass it if needed :) Put a Perko in front of it for the days you don't feel warm and fuzzy about the thing Biggrin.gif

Plus1.gif I don't want/need the Perko though.

Relay

Plus1.gif I don't want/need the Perko though.

Me either, Perkos look good on fishin boats.

Get a blue sea add a battery kit (switch and ACR) and be done with.

Plus1.gif I am really starting to like this setup after having it for the last month, coupled with the onboard charger, I have no worries. Depending on how you have things set up, you may be able to leverage much of your wiring from your isolator.

Good price at:

http://www.pkys.com/

The appear closed this week (web maintenance?) but was around $93.

Tracie don't pick up a Isolater just yet. I may have one Whistling.gif in my back pocket and can take one to wow for you. Do you have the one with or with out a remote ignite wire?

I pulled the isolator completely out, wiring & all - it's the Hellroaring BIC95150B. I need to get it all together for this weekend, & then consequently for WOW so I think that I'm going to either find a relay like the Blue Seas or Stinger mentioned above, or a Perko locally & just be done with it as 06 suggests. I'm tired of farting around with this, I feel like I've been chasing this problem for too long now. The thing that sucks is that I may not be done if I've trashed one of the batteries in the process of all of this.

EDIT: Since it looks like I can add the relay to the Perko after the fact, I think that's what I'm going to do. I want to get it put back together & tested on the water in as simple a configuration as I can manage for now.

I pulled the isolator completely out, wiring & all - it's the Hellroaring BIC95150B. I need to get it all together for this weekend, & then consequently for WOW so I think that I'm going to either find a relay like the Blue Seas or Stinger mentioned above, or a Perko locally & just be done with it as 06 suggests. I'm tired of farting around with this, I feel like I've been chasing this problem for too long now. The thing that sucks is that I may not be done if I've trashed one of the batteries in the process of all of this.

EDIT: Since it looks like I can add the relay to the Perko after the fact, I think that's what I'm going to do. I want to get it put back together & tested on the water in as simple a configuration as I can manage for now.

Wakegirl,

What's nice about the blue sea acr is that it's a voltage sensing relay, there is also an LED on it to let you know when it's doing it's thing.

Yeah, I saw that. I'm just not sure if I can get one locally, stuff like that can be pretty limited in my community. Being that it will work with the Perko, I'll get that installed & get the system tested. Then I can always add it down the road when I'm not so pressed for time. With WOW coming up next week, I'm on a time crunch to get the boat put back together, tested & working correctly. Plus, I was thinking that at the same time as all of this I may be able to put together a tech article on how to do a simple 2 battery system using a Perko.

Right now I'm looking at the Blue Sea, Stinger & one by Sure Power. It looks like they all basically do the same thing, some just have more features to them.

Well, none of the local shops had anything that I felt comfortable with - 1 shop had a relay, but it wasn't a brand that I'd heard of & it had a very Chinese-made feel to it. Yuk.gif So I went with the Perko. It took me most of Thursday night, part of Friday morning (to get the boat in running shape) & some of today to get all of my wiring re-routed & set the way that I wanted. So far the system is working great. We spent all of Friday afternoon on the lake & my voltage readings were great the entire time. The onboard charger is also working great - I highly recommend that little accessory. So....(knocking on wood) it appears that I've got the system dialed in. I'm so tickled. :)