Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Single or double axle trailer...

1FootDan

Single or double axle trailer... pro and cons  

345 members have voted

1. 1. If money was no object and weight not being an issue, what type of trailer would you buy?

• Single axle (with brakes)
    • Double Axle (withbrakes)
  2. 2. What experience do you have with trailers?

• Have had both single and double, I prefer single
    • Have had both single and double, I prefer double
    • I have had just single, I wish I had a double
    • I have had just double, I wish I had a single
    • I have had just single, I see no interest in going double
    • I have had just double, I see no interest in going single
    • I have never had a trailer, but I would buy a single
    • I have never had a trailer, but I would buy a double
    • What's a trailer?
  3. 3. Taking money (price/value) in consideration, but not weight of boat, what type of trailer would you buy?

• Single axle (with brakes)
    • Single axle (with brakes and spare)
    • Double axle (no brakes, no spare)
    • Double axle (with brakes, no spare)
    • Double axle (with brakes and spare)
    • Single axle (no brakes, no spare)

I don't know if starting this poll jinxed me or what, but yesterday I lost a wheel on my trailer at 65MPH! Not fun... definately would have liked to have that second axle... Cry.gif At least the boat is OK, thank goodness for those transom tie downs. It's going to cost me: a disk, studs, grease cap and fender... not to mention the 140$ towing... With labor, I must be pretty close to that second axle upgrade cost...

Edited by 1FootDan
  • Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1FootDan

• mibarefooter

• mbwagoner

• Arctic Slalom

Just got the bill... finally, the disk is still good and re-formed the fender so not that bad. 180$. So this whole adventure cost me 320$ plus I have a chewed up disk and busted up fender....

• 3 weeks later...
I can't think of any down side to a tandem, I guess if you need to push your boat around by hand it would be a little harder but why the heck would you want to do that,park it right the first time.

One other thing to think about is that tandem trailers look much better.

I push my boat around all the time, that how it fits into the garage.

I would love a single, It would be much easier to push, but our dealer swears by tandems, and its for someone like us who tows the boat everywhere.

• 3 weeks later...
Tandem axle trailer = peace of mind, and safer for everyone traveling the public road system.

Totally agree, I've seen a couple bad wrecks where the trailer blew a tire and the truck, trailer and boat were all totalled.

I don't use my trailer enough to run tandems. I don't want to buy tires every five years when I would only have 1000 miles on them. I have had three blowouts and the trailer has remained extremely stable each time so no worries.

Why on earth would you only get a 1000 miles on your trailer tires? I've owned trailers built in the 60s that have the original tires on them...Unless your axels are bent and your tires are not aligned you should get closer 20,000 miles per set.

Maybe I missed something, but replacing tires every 5 years or 1000 miles just cause seems a little excessive. :unsure:

• 1 month later...

Tandem axle trailers tow much more smoothly than single. Far less bouncing and bucking of the tow vehicle. Get 4-wheel disc brakes too. Makes stopping almost as good as having no trailer in tow.

Tandem axle trailers tow much more smoothly than single. Far less bouncing and bucking of the tow vehicle. Get 4-wheel disc brakes too. Makes stopping almost as good as having no trailer in tow.

I partially agree. For living in Quebec, I know something about bad road conditions. For holes, the tandem is way smoother because the trailer is dupported on 3 other wheels, it is almost as thought the hole is not there. However, for bumps, you get twicw the bump. Worst is those rubber speed bumps that seem to just fit perfectly between the axles... Mad.gif

• 3 weeks later...

I pulled a single axle with a 2000 pound boat for about 10 years. no brakes.

next buy will be a tandem with brakes for sure.

Why -

I was lucky and never had a blowout on the highway or on the way to the ramp.

And, it was too much weight to try and stop, even with a Suburban 4 x 4 pulling it.

I had one major mishap - a semi trailer clipped me going around a double lane turn (luckit it was at a stop light and we were only going 5 mph). that ripped my tire apart, damaged the rim, and tore up my fender. with a tandem, i would have still lost the tire, but probably no other damage.

Regarding brakes, at least in Indiana it is not an option. Anything over 2000 pounds has to have them.

I tow the boat regularly, dont live on water. Its only 5 miles to boat ramp, but take annual trips to Shasta (from PDX), hit up Billy Chinook a few times a year, and occasionally spend the weekend at a new lake. All in all, a decent amount of towing. I cant imagine going any other route than the Tandem w/spare, unless $ was too tight. (but if $ is THAT tight, its risky purchasing a boat let alone a trailer). I've had a blowout, (on a tire that was less than 8 mo old) luckily it was close to home. I was shocked by how sketchy it was limping home on 3 tires. I think its just not worth the risk to purchase a single axle.

Also as a side note: I work construction (lots of subs pull trailers everyday) and seen the aftermath of what happens to single axle trailers when they have a blowout on the highway. Luckily they just had building materials inside & NOT MY BOAT!! .....ps. they were nice trailers too

• 3 weeks later...
I've had both single and tandem axle trailers. My current trailer is an SMP tandem with brakes on both axles. I appear to be in the minority - I would recommend a single in many applications.

The tandem tracks straighter down the freeway, especially in crosswinds, and I do appreciate that when going for long hauls to Norris or Cumberland. But the added costs of a tandem vs single I think are overkill on most boats in the 20-21 ft range. When you get up to the bigger VLX/Wakesetters, a tandem is a must-have. But for boats like my Echelon LX (I just weighed the whole thing and it totalled 3,460 lbs boat/motor/trailer with full fuel) I think a single is better. Tandem does make for a nicer looking rig, however - they look good! :-)

With a tandem, you have twice the tires to replace every few years. Same goes for brake maintenance and repairs. And the smaller 20 footers will fit nicely in most garages - except you CANNOT pivot a tandem trailer by hand. That is the biggest downfall in my mind to a tandem trailer. If you keep proper inflation on the tires, keep them out of the sun or at least protected with something like 303, grease the bearings several times a year, and use actual trailer tires vs. some cheap automotive tire, you are not going to have a blowout unless you hit something.

Anyone want to trade an SMP tandem for an SMP or Boatmate single for an Echelon LX? :-) I could get her in my garage with a single axle pivot!

-- Mike

TANDEM IS THE ONLY WAY TO GO. THAT BEING SAID I DIDN'T GET A CHOICE WHEN WE BOUGHT ARE 99 SUNSETTER LXI USED AND IT CAME WITH A SINGLE AXLE ELETE. THE ONLY GOOD THING I CAN SAY IS ITS A 6000LB AXLE WITH BRAKES. THE TRAILER SUCKS. WE LIVE ABOUT 15 MINUTES FROM THE LAKE SO, DO WE NEED A TANDEM IN MY OPINION YES. THE BEARINGS AND SEALS ARE PACKED AND NEW SEALS EVERY SPRING. ONLY GOODYEAR MARATHON TRAILER TIRES FOR ME AND EVERY LIGHT BETTER BE WORKING OR IT DOESN'T LEAVE THE DRIVEWAY. THERE'S NOTHING WORSE THAN AN EXPENSIVE BOAT SETTING ON A CHEAP TRAILER ON THE SIDE OF THE ROAD BROKEN DOWN FOR WHAT EVER REASON. I FOR ONE WOULD RATHER SPEND THE EXTRA ON THAT TRAILER SO THAT I HAVE A GOOD DAY ON THE WATER AND NOT A BAD DAY ON THE SIDE OF THE ROAD. THE NEXT TRAILER THAT GOES UNDER ARE LXI WILL BE AN EXTREME, YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR. . ONE OTHER THING, I SEE WAY TO MANY PEOPLE WITH A BIGGER BOAT THAN THERE TOW VEHICLE CAN HANDLE. MAKE SURE YOUR RIG CAN HANLDE WHAT YOUR ASKING IT TO DO

• 2 weeks later...
I've had both single and tandem axle trailers. My current trailer is an SMP tandem with brakes on both axles. I appear to be in the minority - I would recommend a single in many applications.

The tandem tracks straighter down the freeway, especially in crosswinds, and I do appreciate that when going for long hauls to Norris or Cumberland. But the added costs of a tandem vs single I think are overkill on most boats in the 20-21 ft range. When you get up to the bigger VLX/Wakesetters, a tandem is a must-have. But for boats like my Echelon LX (I just weighed the whole thing and it totalled 3,460 lbs boat/motor/trailer with full fuel) I think a single is better. Tandem does make for a nicer looking rig, however - they look good! :-)

With a tandem, you have twice the tires to replace every few years. Same goes for brake maintenance and repairs. And the smaller 20 footers will fit nicely in most garages - except you CANNOT pivot a tandem trailer by hand. That is the biggest downfall in my mind to a tandem trailer. If you keep proper inflation on the tires, keep them out of the sun or at least protected with something like 303, grease the bearings several times a year, and use actual trailer tires vs. some cheap automotive tire, you are not going to have a blowout unless you hit something.

Anyone want to trade an SMP tandem for an SMP or Boatmate single for an Echelon LX? :-) I could get her in my garage with a single axle pivot!

-- Mike

TANDEM IS THE ONLY WAY TO GO. THAT BEING SAID I DIDN'T GET A CHOICE WHEN WE BOUGHT ARE 99 SUNSETTER LXI USED AND IT CAME WITH A SINGLE AXLE ELETE. THE ONLY GOOD THING I CAN SAY IS ITS A 6000LB AXLE WITH BRAKES. THE TRAILER SUCKS. WE LIVE ABOUT 15 MINUTES FROM THE LAKE SO, DO WE NEED A TANDEM IN MY OPINION YES. THE BEARINGS AND SEALS ARE PACKED AND NEW SEALS EVERY SPRING. ONLY GOODYEAR MARATHON TRAILER TIRES FOR ME AND EVERY LIGHT BETTER BE WORKING OR IT DOESN'T LEAVE THE DRIVEWAY. THERE'S NOTHING WORSE THAN AN EXPENSIVE BOAT SETTING ON A CHEAP TRAILER ON THE SIDE OF THE ROAD BROKEN DOWN FOR WHAT EVER REASON. I FOR ONE WOULD RATHER SPEND THE EXTRA ON THAT TRAILER SO THAT I HAVE A GOOD DAY ON THE WATER AND NOT A BAD DAY ON THE SIDE OF THE ROAD. THE NEXT TRAILER THAT GOES UNDER ARE LXI WILL BE AN EXTREME, YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR. . ONE OTHER THING, I SEE WAY TO MANY PEOPLE WITH A BIGGER BOAT THAN THERE TOW VEHICLE CAN HANDLE. MAKE SURE YOUR RIG CAN HANLDE WHAT YOUR ASKING IT TO DO

Alright we understand... no need to yell sarge...

• 2 months later...

-- Mike

Alright we understand... no need to yell sarge...

That hurts my eyes.

i have towed a 20ft i/o with a single axle behind my Montero as well as my 21ft 'bu and the difference was night and day. The montero has a 5000lb tow limit and both boats with trailers are probably close to that. While towing the s/a the truck would get squirrely pretty easily. With the d/a the towing feels very solid and stable.

i may be interested in chasing a trailer swap.

anyone know how well these hulls compare?

mike says his 2650 pound 1997 Echelon LX (sv23 hull) is on a smp tandem trailer.

my '04 response weighs 2450 lbs; is on a SV23 Diamond.

will mikes echelon set on my boatmate ok?

how about my response on the smp?

thanks for the help.

(if this is hijacking the thread, holler and i will start something new. if i'm correct the op has not chirped in a while.)

I tow the boat regularly, dont live on water. Its only 5 miles to boat ramp, but take annual trips to Shasta (from PDX), hit up Billy Chinook a few times a year, and occasionally spend the weekend at a new lake. All in all, a decent amount of towing. I cant imagine going any other route than the Tandem w/spare, unless $ was too tight. (but if $ is THAT tight, its risky purchasing a boat let alone a trailer). I've had a blowout, (on a tire that was less than 8 mo old) luckily it was close to home. I was shocked by how sketchy it was limping home on 3 tires. I think its just not worth the risk to purchase a single axle.

Also as a side note: I work construction (lots of subs pull trailers everyday) and seen the aftermath of what happens to single axle trailers when they have a blowout on the highway. Luckily they just had building materials inside & NOT MY BOAT!! .....ps. they were nice trailers too

A trick I use on my tandem trailers If you ever blow a tire on a tandem all you need is a rachet strap. You wrap the strap around the axle hook it to the top of the trailer racket it up, take the weight off the blown tire, ROLL ON!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by Boat Rocks

A trick I use on my tandem trailers If you ever blow a tire on a tandem all you need is a rachet strap. You wrap the strap around the axle hook it to the top of the trailer racket it up, take the weight off the blown tire, ROLL ON!!!!!!!!!!!

Or you could just take it off till you get were you can fix it. I wouldn't run long on just 1 though.

• 1 month later...

The boat before my Malibu had a single axle at 2,300 lbs. Over 4 years I had broke a spring on the trailer 2 times one at 55 mph and the second time at 35 mph. Both times I almost lost control and the boat almost went off the trailer the second time. The second time I had my wife and two little ones in the Durango. Shortly after that we were looking at Malibu's with tandem axles. It is worth the extra money for a tandem trailer.

• 3 months later...

Single axle trailers should be left for watercraft (I have two singles). For a BU (or any large/heavy boat), at the very least....go tandem axle WITH electric brakes. These BU's are not lightweight boats, and you need as much towing stability AND braking ability as possible.

Also, avoid "connected" leaf spring, tandem axle trailers (those with a "teeter totter" in the middle). Just "spring" (LOL!) a little more for a trailer with Dexter Axles (or similar).

Dexter type axles have a built in suspension (rubber biscuit) as well as shock absorption abilities....to say nothing of the far more stable "trailing link" suspension design (like a short motorcycle swingarm). There is nothing better.

On top of those pluses, there is no "teeter totter" central link between two leaf spring units (multiple Dexter Axles operate independently). With a shared central teeter between leafs, a flat tire can EASILY drive the remaining good tire up into the wheelwell....possibly burning out that tire too (if not stopped in time).

At the very least, make absolutely sure any leaf spring equipped trailer does not have that shared central link, and each is mounted individually...OR...if yours already has a shared link, that neither tire can contact the inside of the fender well should the other go flat (while the trailer is fully loaded). Smaller tires can sometimes help solve this problem.

If your trailer does have that teetering central link, and although it would stiffen the suspension, you may be better off by immobilizing/reducing it's teetering travel mechanically (if either tire can contact the fender well)...or go the smaller tire route noted above.

Of course, you can always opt for the ultimate in trailering stability as I did for my 247 LSV...with triple Dexter Axles and SIX "electric over hydraulic" disc brakes. Four brakes would indeed have been sufficient (on only two axles)...and six was indeed overkill, but at the time, they were no extra charge (for whatever reason)...and I wasn't gonna complain! No one flat on either side (or both) will cause any major towing problems....allowing me to travel any reasonable distance to a repair shop. But I also have a spare built into a swing-down release frame under the nose of my BU (just in front of the forward axle). Only thing I could have added is an additional spare on the other side (it would have easily accommodated two). These are 17" wheels in this "stock" photo....mine are 20's (same color/year boat and trailer tho).

Malibu247LSV.jpg

Edited by rustie

I'm with rustie. Nothing better available than electric over hydraulic on at least tandem for any malibu. Torsion axles have superior control and trailing link independent is ideal.

Coming back from Florida yesterday and saw and older SkiRay on a trailer on the side of the road. It looked like the lugnuts came off the driver side wheel on their single axle trailer. The driver was holding the wheel that fell off in a ditch way off the road with a sad look on his face. The trailer was wrecked on the left side. All the tubing was bent and the fender was mangled. Anyone who saw this sight would have been a believer in the dual axle trailer. There were already several people stopped to help him so we went on.

By the way, check your lug nuts before you head out to the lake or highway!

• 1 month later...

Labor Day Monday we drove back about 3 hours on 65N from Kentucky.

Saw three trailers with blowouts on the way. All were single axle.

Really glad i have a tandem.

Also had to make a few quick stops due to sudden rainstorms and a few accidents.

Really glad i had trailer brakes. They are hydraulic only, discs on all 4 wheels, but the set up is just right.

i think i actually stop a little faster with the trailer than without it.