Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

wakeboard pre-season work out

hyperlitenerd

Have you been riding a bike, this is a good time to start? I just changed my workout at the gym to much more reps and cardio, high intense bike riding. Increase the resistance and just go as long as you can until your legs can't take it anymore, last year going into this year was my first time I could really focus on training for the summer since 2000. Season ends around Oct. for me. Lift hard, heavy for strength and more mass until around this time (March), change up workouts to much more reps and less sets focusing on burning more fat and getting your heart beat up. April until season starts, focus on upper/lower back and Quads, any workout for your lower and upper back will work the biceps and forearms

Makes me feel bad for sitting here with my bag of little pink frosted animal cookies and a large pepsi. Thanks for that, Tony. Tease2.gif

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• hyperlitenerd

• MalibuNation

• 68Slalom

• spaznoook

Have you been riding a bike, this is a good time to start? I just changed my workout at the gym to much more reps and cardio, high intense bike riding. Increase the resistance and just go as long as you can until your legs can't take it anymore, last year going into this year was my first time I could really focus on training for the summer since 2000. Season ends around Oct. for me. Lift hard, heavy for strength and more mass until around this time (March), change up workouts to much more reps and less sets focusing on burning more fat and getting your heart beat up. April until season starts, focus on upper/lower back and Quads, any workout for your lower and upper back will work the biceps and forearms

I've been thinking about ridding a bike, but since I've out grown my old one, the thought of actully having to buy one is slowing me down.

Not sure how long ago it was you bought one, but I have had the same size for almost 15 years now :) and only gained 15lbs since high school, not because of riding but just trying not to let myself get out of hand if you know what I mean. So you better get on one some way or another Whistling.gif

Yeah well I'm one of the younger people on the crew(22), since I got the bike I've grown more than a foot, So I don't really fit it. Yeah I'm trying to get on top of my self while I'm still young so that I won't have to go on some tv show to lose 200 pounds.

I've been thinking about ridding a bike, but since I've out grown my old one, the thought of actully having to buy one is slowing me down.

Not sure how long ago it was you bought one, but I have had the same size for almost 15 years now :) and only gained 15lbs since high school, not because of riding but just trying not to let myself get out of hand if you know what I mean. So you better get on one some way or another Whistling.gif

Yeah well I'm one of the younger people on the crew(22), since I got the bike I've grown more than a foot, So I don't really fit it. Yeah I'm trying to get on top of my self while I'm still young so that I won't have to go on some tv show to lose 200 pounds.

What are you calling us old people Whistling.gif well I do have bad knee's that is why biking is my only option. I think it's time to buy a new bike or start running, you shouldn't have to worry about growing another foot if you decide to buy another bike. Good Luck with your training Thumbup.gif

What are you calling us old people Whistling.gif well I do have bad knee's that is why biking is my only option. I think it's time to buy a new bike or start running, you shouldn't have to worry about growing another foot if you decide to buy another bike. Good Luck with your training Thumbup.gif

well other than me and JSP everyone else bought their own boats. We mooch off of Dad.

I think I only have another inch or two left to grow, so I should out grow anything any time soon. I have the beginnings of bad knees just from my youth. So time to train up to protect them. Thanks for all the advice!

well other than me and JSP everyone else bought their own boats. We mooch off of Dad.

I think I only have another inch or two left to grow, so I should out grow anything any time soon. I have the beginnings of bad knees just from my youth. So time to train up to protect them. Thanks for all the advice!

I hope you meant "shouldn't" and trust me, when you start getting closer to 40 you'll know what I mean. The only way to stay in shape is to start working at it now and keep it up, no other way Thumbup.gif it's way to hard to start late even though it can be done, but painful.

You have a much better start than me because my parents never had a boat, I had to hang with my friends but it was worth it because I appreciate it more now than if I would have been around it all my life.

I started taking Hydroxycut Hardcore. It makes my heart feel like its going to jump out of my chest, but other than that it doesn't do nuthing. Next week I'll have to start phase 2, which is either start running every other day or stop buying an 18 pack of Naty Ice every other day..... tough choice, maybe I'll run to the store to pick-up the beer and then walk home!!!!! Thumbup.gif

But to get in ski shape I find that the best thing for your upper body is simply pull ups, push ups, and abs. Then lunges and sprints for your legs with some plymetrics if you're really serious. Just do them all in a big superset taking everything to exhaustion. 6 weeks of that and you'll be good.

Next week I'll have to start phase 2, which is either start running every other day or stop buying an 18 pack of Naty Ice every other day..... tough choice, maybe I'll run to the store to pick-up the beer and then walk home!!!!! Thumbup.gif

Thumbup.gif

Makes me feel bad for sitting here with my bag of little pink frosted animal cookies and a large pepsi. Thanks for that, Tony.

Oh Shannoook...I thought you were converting over from being a slacker wakeboarder to a skier. Fingerwag.gif Frosted animal cookies and Pepsi are slacker foods...put them down and walk away. Slalom skiing is much more physically demanding the wakeboarding. I know that you've set a really low goal for yourself this year (to exceed M-dude) but some training is in order. :lol:

Makes me feel bad for sitting here with my bag of little pink frosted animal cookies and a large pepsi. Thanks for that, Tony.

Oh Shannoook...I thought you were converting over from being a slacker wakeboarder to a skier. Fingerwag.gif Frosted animal cookies and Pepsi are slacker foods...put them down and walk away. Slalom skiing is much more physically demanding the wakeboarding. I know that you've set a really low goal for yourself this year (to exceed M-dude) but some training is in order. :lol:

Yea, but how exactly does one train for beating the likes of M-Dude? Dontknow.gif

My personal workouts include the following:

Stair jumping - two footed and one footed. I jump from the base up either 1, 2, 3, 4, or 5 stairs. I can get 4 stairs on one foot but its tough. This builds explosive power and balance.

One footed balancing. I close my eyes, stand one on leg with my knee bent at about a 135 degree bend (since 45 would be your butt touching your leg). If you can make it two mins straight without touching down your a monster! This builds balance, and stabilizing muscles in your knees and ankles.

I also do a lot of back extensions, crunches, obliques, and rowing. I have a rowing setup at my house that has a rowing similar to a tower pull height. I also like to add my "spin trainer". This essentially a lazy susan that I stand on while doing rows, I think Mike Schwenne invented this.

I work on fast hands by taking a handle thats attached to about 10lbs of metal on a bungee, I swing that thing as fast as I can both directions passing the handle.

And of course, trampoline work for the aerial awareness.

Hello everyone,

This year I'm making no excuses for my self, and I want to start working out at home to better my wakeboarding this season. What am I looking for are workouts or exercises that I can do at home.

As of right now I am doing push ups, pull ups, situps, and wall sits. After my first time out this season, my legs and core seemed to do ok. What my weak point was my arms for pulling the handle in on ts cut ins. If you have any good idea's or plans, it would be greatly appreciated.

Have you every seen that device that is made specifically for building water skiing muscles? I’ve got it bookmarked on one of my bazillion PCs and have pics of it somewhere but can’t find it now. It’s a device that sits on the floor and it has an incline (let’s say 45 degrees) that you can increase or decrease the angle.

It kind of looks like this __\

It also has a ski rope and you grab the ski rope and with your feet you hop on this incline and lean back (holding on to the rope) and gives your grip/hands a good workout, along with your forearms, shoulders. They were selling for a couple hundred bucks and I wanted one, but instead jerry rigged something similar. It might have been made by a Malibu owner and I remember someone had one and gave it away and all the new owner had to do was pay for the shipping. Ring any bells?

If anyone is interested I can show you how I made mine for free.

That sound like something my dad's friend had back in the day when they were serious skiers. I would love to see the design!

Here’s my setup and please ignore my messy basement. Also after I thought about my post it actually wasn’t free, but real cheap compared to the device I saw for sale … seemed like it was $200-$400 bucks.

I put this hillbilly thing together in my basement. I needed something that could handle my petite 240 lbs. Went to a saw mill and had them cut a board that was 3” thick and as wide as the inside of my pallet and I had to gage how tall to have this wood cut. Wood cost me under 20 bucks. Then I got 2 heavy duty U Bolts and, big washer, nuts and attached the wood to one of many poles in the center of my basement. Even wrapped the U Bolts with a section of old garden hose so it wasn’t metal again metal.

I do data and telecommunications work so I get a lot of pallets and the one I got wasn’t your normal pallet, it was small and sturdy as it had something heavy on it. I even reinforced it. I set the pallet on top of this custom cut wood and it fit snug on the wood and the pallet leans against the pole. The pallet is resting in this position and not attached in any other way.

Then I got some heavy duty plastic covered metal cable wrapped it around the pole and then over the pallet … this is my ski rope. I suppose you could also attach it to the pallet. Took some conduit and ran some garden hose inside of it (this is my ski handle) and then ran the cable though the garden hose … garden hose helps the plastic covering from being cut. Put duct tape on the conduit as I didn’t want it to rust … but since I’m wearing an old pair of dress gloves I suppose I could now remove the hideous duct tape. I put some pink (dirty now) packing foam where my feet go to lessen the force on my joints … carpet would do to. I can hear you all laughing now.

I hop on – lean back and the fun begins … I actually bounce a little to simulate waves and I find I can last a bit longer, I think the resting my muscles for a couple of nano-seconds and giving my hands a break lets me last longer.

Someday if I have an old ski rope I might replace what I have now … then again I like the idea of the strong metal cable.

If you think about it hanging from the monkey bars or a chin up bar would be great for your grip.

post-371-1204132250_thumb.jpg

OK I think I get the idea behind it. You pull your self forward using the handle? Do you stand all the way up?[/quote]

I think that would be too scary Tongue.gif

All joking aside, I have thought about doing something like that but the only tree I have is in the front yard and I don't want to look like a dork out front. I guess I could set up a pole in the backyard :unsure:

Edited by 68Slalom

I'm just trying to get a visual idea of how this should work. Should I be sitting on the ground, feet on the board, and pull to one hip?

I'm just trying to get a visual idea of how this should work. Should I be sitting on the ground, feet on the board, and pull to one hip?

My first pic I'm sitting on the ground taking a side picture of my invention - just so you can get a view how it's put together. It forms a right triangle.

I'll have some of my imaginary friends come over this weekend and take some pics of me on it.

I'm so happy 'cause today

I've found my friends, they're in my head

I'm so ugly, that's OK

'Cause so are you, broke our mirrors

Sunday mornin' is every day

For all I care and I'm not scared

Light my candles in a daze

'Cause I've found God

• 2 weeks later...
MalibuNation
Oh, just get out behind the boat.

That's the best workout - and the most fun.

Yahoo.gif

I wish I could push myself lifting weights like I push myself skiing ... skiing is so fun ... do have a little problem right now, solid 10" of ice on the lake.

Edited by jchooper

Yahoo.gif

I wish I could push myself lifting weights like I push myself skiing ... skiing is so fun ... do have a little problem right now, solid 10" of ice on the lake.

I have the same problem sometimes, but once I get there and get started it feels great and you actually have more energy by working out. I know it sounds weird but I get this hyper rush during the middle of training, sleep better at night, and wake up more clear headed. That is really good for me because I have way too many things going on in my life and need all the help I can get Whistling.gif

So really the hardest part is just driving there, getting out of your car, walking into the gym, looking around and if your lucky you'll find some really cute girls that will get you to hang around a little while before you realize you actually have to do something (LOL).

I started taking Hydroxycut Hardcore. It makes my heart feel like its going to jump out of my chest, but other than that it doesn't do nuthing. Next week I'll have to start phase 2, which is either start running every other day or stop buying an 18 pack of Naty Ice every other day..... tough choice, maybe I'll run to the store to pick-up the beer and then walk home!!!!! Thumbup.gif

But to get in ski shape I find that the best thing for your upper body is simply pull ups, push ups, and abs. Then lunges and sprints for your legs with some plymetrics if you're really serious. Just do them all in a big superset taking everything to exhaustion. 6 weeks of that and you'll be good.

I am just finishing up my first and last bottle of Hydroxycut Hardcore. Other than making me feel like I am constantly coming down with a cold I don't think it is doing anything.

Try doing your pull ups by hanging some old towels over your rafters and griping on to them, or hang some gymnastic rings. Another killer is one legged squats off of a chair. Stand up straight on a chair on one leg with the other leg dangling off the side. Put your arms straight out in front of you (like a zombie or a mummy). With your dangling leg make it so you toes are slightly pointed up, so that your heel is slightly lower. Now keep your arms out, your back straight and lower your butt until your heel hits the ground. Then power back into your starting position. Once you get the form down you a can start holding weights in your out stretched arms. (if you can not do one complete rep, do half the motion)

MalibuNation

Yahoo.gif

I have the same problem sometimes, but once I get there and get started it feels great and you actually have more energy by working out. I know it sounds weird but I get this hyper rush during the middle of training, sleep better at night, and wake up more clear headed. That is really good for me because I have way too many things going on in my life and need all the help I can get Whistling.gif

So really the hardest part is just driving there, getting out of your car, walking into the gym, looking around and if your lucky you'll find some really cute girls that will get you to hang around a little while before you realize you actually have to do something (LOL).

I always had more energy after running ... it was just putting on the shoes and sock and convince myself I really wanted to go. Felt better too.