Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Zebra Mussels

YZThump

Nice, I got the same inspection @ the keys except they didn't even ask to remove the plug.

You probably spent more than $35 in fuel going to Meeks Bay and back. Whistling.gif Including all those fun curves and narrow ridgeline road!!!

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• WakeGirl

• Malibudude

• Chia

• NvBoarder

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Nice, I got the same inspection @ the keys except they didn't even ask to remove the plug.

You probably spent more than $35 in fuel going to Meeks Bay and back. Whistling.gif Including all those fun curves and narrow ridgeline road!!!

Probably - though offset by less boat fuel ;) Wasn't happy with the situation there at the keys - sure seemed like a bad set-up

I went up to Meeks Bay about 2 weeks ago with a friends boat and they didn't ask a thing about the boat or where it had been. We came back on 80 and did not get stopped at the boarder.

Troy I was at the Keys beach on Sat and seen that ramp and how small of a turn around it had. I was thinking how hard it would be to launch/load the boat. Very small area.

I went up to Meeks Bay about 2 weeks ago with a friends boat and they didn't ask a thing about the boat or where it had been. We came back on 80 and did not get stopped at the boarder.

Troy I was at the Keys beach on Sat and seen that ramp and how small of a turn around it had. I was thinking how hard it would be to launch/load the boat. Very small area.

Greg, did you happen to see a really nice diesel pusher and a 2-story trailer at meeks bay?

Was not looking around much because I was forced to watch the semi pro Ladies play all day. I did pic up some pointer when watching hand signals before the serve.

You weren't watching the signals!! Whistling.gif

Yea the inspections are a joke and by now they are already in Lake Tahoe, the reason they want the plugs pulled is so that the water will come out of the bilge while traveling home and then if it is dry for acouple days the mussels that might be in your bilge will die off. The problem, for me at least, no matter if I pull one or all of my plugs, when I get home after an outing I still have standing water in the bilge. Dontknow.gif The only way to get all the water out is to dry it up with a towel or something and the ballast well forget it, it's just not possible. But hea, the mussels are suppose to make the lake clearer which is what everyone complains about up there so they can't be that bad. Crazy.gif

Drop a little bleach in your bilge for the drive home & that will take care of it.

Will help the muscle situation, but not the next inspection. My boat is quite wet.. made me laugh after knowing we were going to be inspected, I parked the boat on a very steep hill (boat hasn't been in the water since WOW) and water ran out from under the ski locker sack, and into that bilge area - I figured I'd be screwed for the inspection...

Drop a little bleach in your bilge for the drive home & that will take care of it.

Will help the muscle situation, but not the next inspection. My boat is quite wet.. made me laugh after knowing we were going to be inspected, I parked the boat on a very steep hill (boat hasn't been in the water since WOW) and water ran out from under the ski locker sack, and into that bilge area - I figured I'd be screwed for the inspection...

Through some dri-eze in the ski locker...

I forgot, Troy doesn't believe in tightening his packing. He thinks of it as a self-cleaning bilge. :lol:

Maybe because he's still trying to figure out the left handed johnson wrench..... Biggrin.gif

Pretty much :) I just need to get around to getting the right wrench. Last couple times I tried, didn't have the right wrench, and then realized I wasn't positive which was the lock nut, and which directions the threads were... since I hadn't adjusted it before.

other than the muscle thing, and having the risk of someone not letting me onto a lake because there is some mosture left up in my ski-locker... the water dosn't bug me much... like additional ballast :)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

I love bringing old topics to the top....:lol:

So a couple of weeks ago we crossed the OR/CA border on Hwy. 97 at Dorris. They were stopping everyone, including passenger vehicles, at the ag inspection station. This is something that they haven't done in over 10 years at this particular border crossing. I'm not sure what's up with that, it's not like CA suddenly has additional funds for that sort of thing. Anyway, they were stopping everyone over the ag inspection & since we had the boat with us, they asked about where the boat has been & when it had been there. They specifically mentioned the mussels & said that they are now plentiful in Lake Mead (not surprising, but that's really bad news). What's interesting about this is that this is going from Oregon into California, not the other way around. There were no stops coming home, so there are (as of yet) no attempts being made to keep them out of the NW at that particular crossing.

Here is another one for everyone that plans on going to Lake Tahoe this year. I heard on the news that starting June 1, 2009 there will be inspections on all boats for the mussels. They say there going to be inspecting before you launch and when you return from being out on the water. Which if you have ever been to a boat ramp at Tahoe before I am not sure how they plan to do that, there isn't even a place to dry your boat after you pull it out of the water, unless you want to drive up the road a mile or two. So this could be interesting, oh yea and the cost for the inspections are going to be from $10.00 - $80.00, not including launch fees. Hope they except credit cards and don't expect me to pay at the end of the day. Dontknow.gif

Guys are you surprised? Its gov't run and therefore destined to screw everything up. Are the mussels so bad in Tahoe, after all they are worried about the lakes turbidity.....

Let's face it inspections are worthless, as they can't inspect everything i.e. inside the engine or ballast tanks.

The only thing that surprises me is that they're inspecting vehicles from Oregon going into Cali, but not the other way around. That doesn't make sense since they haven't reached the NW yet, but being that it's government running the show you're right about the fact that making sense isn't ever part of the protocol.

I'm thinking that if what Nv says actually plays out that way, it could keep a lot of people off of Tahoe this season.

The only thing that surprises me is that they're inspecting vehicles from Oregon going into Cali, but not the other way around. That doesn't make sense since they haven't reached the NW yet, but being that it's government running the show you're right about the fact that making sense isn't ever part of the protocol.

I'm thinking that if what Nv says actually plays out that way, it could keep a lot of people off of Tahoe this season.

Agreed, I was planning on taking my parents and my sister up there in June when they come out to visit but now I don't know. I don't want to drive up there and then get told I can't launch for some BS reason.

Agreed, I was planning on taking my parents and my sister up there in June when they come out to visit but now I don't know. I don't want to drive up there and then get told I can't launch for some BS reason.

Darn you'll just have to hit Bullards, I know it's tough..... :)