Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

New guy question

RedOwl

I have bought both of my Malibus new. Have I had buyers remorse? Only when the lake is frozen over, I think the remorse is more frustration that I can't go to the lake. Buying new vs used, don't be afraid of used. Very few people are going to buy something for 50-70k new and treat it horribly. I read a post the other day. When looking at used boats if it is at a persons home, look at their garage. If it is clean then they take care of stuff. With that said I need to go reorganize my garage. Surprised.gif

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• auto

• RedOwl

• Longjohn

• djkoma1

LOL.

I can't imagine life without a boat. And trust me, I NEVER thought I'd say that. I lived most of my life scared of water and unable to swim. I married into the Malibu family and in the last several years have become so accustomed to the life, that it's usually me that's out there scrubbing the boat, washing the carpet, etc.

Why are you washing the carpet? Is it from all those Cheetoes? Tease2.gif

I think everyone has all ready given you enough reasons... but here are mine.

Our first 'bu was a used one; we learned all could with it (a couple of scratches and dings) and made some great friends and brought our family together.

Then we bought out second Malibu when we came back to NorCal. Our family has had the best time on the water with these folks, weather it was a day trip or a long weekend. All our best friends have been found hanging with the "crew".

Welcome.gif

Edited by woody

Not too different from a couple others, but I look at it this way:

$400 a month for fun. I'm buying fun. When I buy gas, I'm putting more fun in the boat. You only live once and while you're here, you better make the most of it. A lot of people my age have their fun in a bar room or doing other things, I have my fun on the lake. If I had a family of my own, I'd be giving the family a great reason to spend time together, which is something not many families do together and enjoy. Watersports are one thing that all different types of people can do together, and enjoy.

PS: Don't let your dealer know just how infactuated you are with Malibus if you are buying new, let them think you're heavily considering other brands.

Not sure if this was covered b/c some of the posts were too long, but if this is your first boat, you may want to consider used a little more because chances are you'll have a couple learning experiences.

I'm on like my 5th boat & can fully appreciate spending quality time with family & friends on the lake.

But I'm STILL not up to spending that kind of coin on ANY boat. I don't have $55k invested in my boat & ATVs combined, and we get to enjoy the toys year round.

If you can afford it, go for it. If your having buyers remorse before you even bought it, then maybe it's time to reevalute the decision. Scale it back to $30k or $40, do you still have buyers remorse? Do you enjoy it any less?

I sure don't.

$10 says that new boat prices start to drop in the next year or two as houses & the economy continue to drop.

A lot of folks here have mentioned the wisdom (and low risk) of buying used. I totally agree.

Let me add some possible negative comments about buying NEW. Yes, sure you get to order all the bells and whistles you want.... but there have been a lot of threads re folks with new boats having to deal with niggly little problems..... that any avid boat owner will have "got fixed for you" in the first 2 years of life. Buying new I suspct you will go nuts deciding about which options to add and which to ignore. Then there's the colors.... and the wait. Yes, you could buy off the lot..... but I suspect you run the risk of small things needing dealer attention in the first summer. Buy a 2 year babied boat, and EVERYTHING will be dialed in for you. Lastly, not many people nail it bang on re ALL the right choices their first time in a boat. You may get it right, or at least close..... but if you laid down $50K+ and then find you'd like a DD vs a DD, or longer or shorter or whatever.... you're not likely going to want to lose out on the first year or 2 depreciation. Also, that first whack into the dock with a brand spanking new boat is VERY painful. Spend a bit less, and well..... the first dockside ding is a bit less painful.... regardless of who was driving.

I too vote for buying something 2 ~ 5 years old, babied to death..... and not only will you still be very happy, you'll be saving a lot of $$$.

Regardless..... just do it. You can drive yourself nuts trying to find the "best" solution. Just make a decision, and be marinely mobile in the next 4 months. New or used.... just get on with it. You'll never regret it. Welcome aboard.

And yes, we'll all help you find ways to spend MORE money.

I agree, go with a used boat which is a few years old. Don't swing for the fences with a new 08. That's just crazy for a new boat owner (IMHO) Whistling.gif . You can easily get a very nice older sunsetter or wakesetter for 15-30K, well equipped....it's amazing how many 06 or 07 boats you see for sale with 20 hours and a MUST SELL in the ad. They obviously bit off more than they could chew and didn't have the time or resources to even break in the boat.

being from madison, there are plenty of low hour, very nice condition ski/wake boats in minnesota, wisconsin and michigan.

just remember, anyone can go to the dealer and order a new one, it takes real 'soul' to find that perfect used one. lots of dealers are taking trades right now (boat shows, etc.) so you should be seeing nice stuff rolling in. Clap.gif

Edited by Arctic Slalom

Everyone knows that a New boat is Sweet, but with the quality of Malibu boats getting a used one that has been Well cared for will serve you and your family the same or in some cases better than new. Thats because lots of prople put lots of cool stuff on it like amps, speakers, tops, led's etc that would cost you a lot more if you had to add it yourself. Trust me the 15 to 20K you save goes a long way on avoiding remorse and more than offsets any possible repairs that you may need, however it is probable that you will only need maint. like a new one would. I found a 1998 SS VLX that was owned by an electrical engineer, the perfect type of guy to maintain a boat, and to date I've had repairs totaling ... hmmm, lemme see, uh ... that would be zero!

Wow.

That's all I can say.

Wow.

Thank you for your quick AND qualified responses.

You've made some great points about used vs. new that we will definitely take to heart.

Now we just have to decide what we're looking for.

If anyone has any good shopping tips/suggestions on where to look/etc I'm eager to learn.

Thanks to everyone. I'm looking forward to becoming a member of this community.

I had to keep under a budget, so I bought an older boat. I new it needed some work but I am able to do that. Even with what I put into my '95, I have still spent under 20k to get it into the shape I wanted it in. It is, for the most part, a turn key outing. It alway starts, runs great, performs as it should, and we have a great time on it. Everybody is correct, don't be afraid of buying a "pre-owned" Malibu. Mine was "used" but it is still a great boat.

Look at it, ride in it, drive it, buy it, and enjoy it. I have!

Again, all terrific responses.

We will probably look into buying something used now that it's gotten so much support.

Just out of curiosity, does anyone out there have strong opinions about buying new? Seems like most of you are leaning towards used.

Like I said, just curious what arguments would/can be made for new boats, seeing as how there are thousands of them sold every year.

We will probably look into buying something used now that it's gotten so much support.

Just out of curiosity, does anyone out there have strong opinions about buying new? Seems like most of you are leaning towards used.

Like I said, just curious what arguments would/can be made for new boats, seeing as how there are thousands of them sold every year.

We've bought used for 20+ years, so don't let my new boat throw you off! Thumbup.gif

We've always bought new and I, for one would not buy a used boat. Not everyone keeps their boat up the way I would and there are those out there that would lie about potential problems that they have "fixed". If you really want new, than buy new. That said, when I bought my first Malibu in 1995, it wasn't their top of the line boat. In fact, I bought a Tantrum, which was a very bare bones direct drive skiboat that came at a very attractive price. We loved that boat and it gave us many happy days at the lake. When our finances allowed, we upgraded over the years. I certainly agree with not buying something that you can't afford. We have never had any regrets or buyers remorse. Every time the kids ask when we can go boating again, it reminds me what a great purchase it was.

If you decide to go used, you can go through a local dealer to help make sure the boat is in good condition. They can also help you transfer the warranty (if applicable) at the time you purchase so that you will be covered.

Good Luck!

so here's my $.02.

I've owned 8 boats of all different shapes, sizes and types in the last 15 years. Prior to that, my dad always bought used and my family owned probably 15-20 boats before me. Of the 8 boats with my name on the title, 2 of them (including my current 07 VTX) were brand spankin' new. I've taken the used and new routes multiple times and from now on i will always buy:

BRAND SPANKIN NEW!!!!

I do buy into the fact that you can save a ton of cash by buying used, especially if you take your time, purchase at the right time of year and find that buyer that is even more particular than yourself about his stuff. Having said that, of the boats i've owned, I've never once questioned myself as to whether or not the new boat would run when I got to the lake. On the other hand, I've been the guy at the dock on more than a few occasions with the used boat engine box up and a steaming flip flop wearin' family waiting on me to either give me an earful or get the boat running. Not to say that all used boats provide problems, just that my problems have always been in used boats.

My time is very valuable to me. How valuable? Valuable enough that I will pay more every month to ensure that my ride is going to provide us with a lots of no hassle fun. Now I'm sure that there will be a follow-up to this message to discuss that break downs can occur with any boat and that's true, but it's less likely with a brand new boat. And, if there's a breakdown, I know every minute of this boats running history. No guesswork, no shoddy shade tree auto mechanic quick fixes. And the boat will be repaired under warranty. Repairs can be very costly. If you are not mechanically inclined, you are at the mercy of your mechanic plain and simple. Marine repairs are never inexpensive. I think it is absolutely essential to know your mechanical abilities before making the new/used decision.

Finally, I'm for buying a boat, period. New, used whatever. It's the most fun you can have with your family. And for all of the used buyers out there. Don't knock us new boat dummies too much because it's monetary morons like me that are providing the well kept, quality used boats for you guys.

have fun,

Malibusteve

New vs Used…

I think the decision between new and used is a tough one. I struggled with that same question this past fall. My decision to buy new was made much easier when Malibu came out with the 20 LSV / VTX. Used ‘07’s are tough to come by with the options that I wanted so I bought new. This will be my first new boat ever and I hope to keep it for at least 10 years. If you are new to boating you may want to ask someone to help you with looking for a good deal on a used boat. I am sure there is a Crew Member in the Madison area who would be happy to help you with a used boat search. If you want new, that is great. We all will be happy to help you spend your money on options to turn that $55k boat into a $70k boat!!!!

As far as justifying the price…

Boating may be the most expensive activity known to man. You have to decide what makes you happy and spend your time and money there. If it isn’t waterskiing and boating then you may want to re-consider or buy a much less expensive boat. I for one am happy every time I am in my boat. I am happy every time I see my boat (even in the garage). I am happy every time I use my boat. The only thing that makes me happier than spending $50 in gas for my boat is spending $100 in gas for my boat because it means that I used it more that day or week. All winter, I look forward to using my boat in the summer. I enjoy cleaning my boat. I enjoy changing the oil on my boat. If you don’t have that passion then it is just another toy that will take up space in your garage and rarely get used.

My two cents.

The first boat I ever bought was a 1991 used Prostar 190(sorry). I bought it because it was only$12500(used) and I wanted to make sure I would use it as much as I thought I would. A pilot owned it and took great care of it, I used it every weekend for two years and then sold it for $13000 because I wanted a bigger boat. Bought another used boat that I took care of and kept for three years, sold that boat for about 5k more than I paid for it. Then in 2005 bought a brand new Malibu, kept it two years and bought a brand new 07. Both ways I felt good about the transaction. I am very glad though that I bought a inexpensive used boat that first time. I am very anal about my boats and think no one takes better care of a boat, but guess what I found a used boat(Prostar 190) where the guy was actually more anal than me. You can find a great used boat that you can use for a year and if you see that you actually love going to the lake and you use the boat and take care of it, you can sell it and probably not lose any money. Then go buy that new boat or a nicer used one. With that all being said I don't have any fonder memories in the 60k boat as to the 13k boat(exempt that its a Malibu. LOL) and vice versus. You will either love going to the lake or you won't, would you rather try to get rid of a nice used 20k boat or a year old 60k boat?

Edited by malik

I have been to a lot of funerals, and I have never seen one casket full of cash or posessions. I am financially responsible, but buy a new boat every two years.

SImple therapy. Wakeboard Spring-Fall, duck hunt in the winter. If you don't have hobbies, might as well work for min wage, go home and stare at the walls.

Tally nothing wrong buying Bimmer as the first new car Biggrin.gif

Edited by auto
Hello everyone. As you can guess I'm new to the forum.

My wife and I have bene toying with the idea of buying a boat for about three years, and have had our hearts set on a Malibu for about half that time.

We know why you have all fallen in love with your boats over other brands, and now that we're hooked, I don't think we can look at anything else.

But like everything in life, there's a catch:

You get what you pay for - and because of that a good Malibu is $55,000 + (we're really interested in the Sunscape 23 or 247)

Neither she nor I are mechanically inclined, so we'd really rather avoid getting an older boat.

We can afford the new boat

BUT

How do you get yourself over the buyers remorse, knowing that you could pay off a quarter of your mortgage instead of buying a boat?

I'm sorry if this post sounds whiny. Believe me, I want more than anything to own a Malibu. This is just the last hurdle we need to get over.

Any suggestions, anecdotes, mild sedatives would be welcome...

Brian

I feel it's like going to the hardware store and buying the less expensive tool and hope it works just as well. We usually feel like we wish we would have purchased the good one to begin with.

We just traded in a boat we boat in 2004 because we wanted to save money. If we would have bought the right one at the time we would have saved $15K by not buying a 2008 model and trading the 2004.

You've got to remember - You're dead for a long time.

Not to rain on your parade, but I could not jusitfy the cost.

I am on the boating websites almost daily and truly do miss boating. I will be going to the boat show with the kids in the next couple of weeks and torment myself again, as I did last year. My friends laugh at me. My 5 year old keeps asking when we are going to buy a boat.

I traded an 1988 I/O for a Prostar I bought new in 92, and when I sold it I had tears, but it was the right thing to do. I needed to get completely out of debt and save a few $$$ for my first house. My next boat was a 04 Response LXi, what a great boat, again I had sellers remorse when she pulled out of the driveway. But for me, the cost was to much to justify.

I have a 2 hour drive each way to the lake. This limits the number of times we could get out on the lake. On summer weekends, as expected, the lake is a zoo and good water is tough to find. My goal was 50 hours per year, and when I did not reach this, well the boat had to go.

My wife and I both work, and my daughter has a job in the summer, this makes scheduling anything a pain. Add to this, my wife enjoys the few times she went out, but is not crazy about boating, and I feel like I'm twisting her arm to get her to go.

The expenses ... not just the cost of the boat, at least that is a one time cost. There is the cost of fuel, $50 for the truck per trip plus whatever I would use in the boat. And who knows what the price of gas will be this summer! The stoarge cost, personal property tax every year (I hated writing this check), the cost of shrink wrapping each winter, and the list goes on.

I live in a high cost of living area, with both, my wife and I working. We pay $250 / wk child care, next fall my daughter will be going to college and we're trying to save a little so we can eat when we retire, there is not a lot of fun money left in the pot. The costs vs time on the water do not add up.

I truly envy those of you where the whole family and friends are out using the boat regularly.

And I am on boattrader.com a couple times a week, trying to find a boat where I can justify the costs. Maybe after the daughter gets out of college, I will be joining you as a boat owner again, if not before. :unsure:

I hope all of you get to pile on the hours and have a great time out there on the water.

I hope this did not come across as being negative.

Andy

I guess if you go strictly by engine hours, it can be hard to justify. I've had years where, for one reason or another, I've only put 10 hours on the engine. However, that time doesn't include the time we just floated and let the kids swim or just relaxed. Even so, every hour we did spend on the lake was worth every penny to us.

My wife had no interest in boating at all before our first boat. She finally agreed to the purchase of our first boat but said she wasn't ever going in the water. 13 years later, she is a great boat driver, has learned to slalom and wakeboard, and loves going out as much as me. We've both said that we'll never be without a boat again.

When I am done with wakeboarding, I will probably sell my travel trailer at the same time, go into save mode for twin diesel Cruisers -40' Express up in Northern Michigan. I can't imagine not being on the water in some shape or fashion.

Not to rain on your parade, but I could not jusitfy the cost.

I am on the boating websites almost daily and truly do miss boating. I will be going to the boat show with the kids in the next couple of weeks and torment myself again, as I did last year. My friends laugh at me. My 5 year old keeps asking when we are going to buy a boat.

I traded an 1988 I/O for a Prostar I bought new in 92, and when I sold it I had tears, but it was the right thing to do. I needed to get completely out of debt and save a few $$$ for my first house. My next boat was a 04 Response LXi, what a great boat, again I had sellers remorse when she pulled out of the driveway. But for me, the cost was to much to justify.

I have a 2 hour drive each way to the lake. This limits the number of times we could get out on the lake. On summer weekends, as expected, the lake is a zoo and good water is tough to find. My goal was 50 hours per year, and when I did not reach this, well the boat had to go.

My wife and I both work, and my daughter has a job in the summer, this makes scheduling anything a pain. Add to this, my wife enjoys the few times she went out, but is not crazy about boating, and I feel like I'm twisting her arm to get her to go.

The expenses ... not just the cost of the boat, at least that is a one time cost. There is the cost of fuel, $50 for the truck per trip plus whatever I would use in the boat. And who knows what the price of gas will be this summer! The stoarge cost, personal property tax every year (I hated writing this check), the cost of shrink wrapping each winter, and the list goes on.

I live in a high cost of living area, with both, my wife and I working. We pay $250 / wk childcare, next fall my daughter will be going to college and we're trying to save a little so we can eat when we retire, there is not a lot of fun money left in the pot. The costs vs time on the water do not add up.

I truly envy those of you where the whole family and friends are out using the boat regularly.

And I am on boattrader.com a couple times a week, trying to find a boat where I can justify the costs. Maybe after the daughter gets out of college, I will be joining you as a boat owner again, if not before.

I hope all of you get to pile on the hours and have a great time out there on the water.

I hope this did not come across as being negative.

Andy

The greatest reason for selling the boat is the family has other priorities, and when one spouse isn’t all that crazy about it that simply compounds the issue. Without both being excited about going to the lake to ski/board is a death sentence for boat ownership. Cost is certainly a big factor as well believe me I own two boats at this time and as well have daycare to pay for. For us it’s a priority and we make other sacrifices to fuel our addiction for water sports. The time we’ve spent as a family and with friends just isn’t measurable by any scale.

Don't be a slave of your cottage and boat!!!!

A few years back, with a much smaller budget, I purchased the cottage and a new boat... going into debt. For the first few weeks, it was salvaltion... we were at the cottage every weekend lovin' it, I waS LITTERALLY LIVING FOR MY WEEKENDS!

The next two years, friends got kids, the g-friends got pregnant, it rained every weekend, even when it was sunny, it was windy and cold but since we were plunging so much money into the cottage and boat, we couldn't NOT GO! right?

WRONG, I was a slave from the cottage and everything turned sour!

I never regretted getting the cottage and the boat, but i did b**** a lot. Today, I just have a different philosophy: The expense is there and there is nothing I can do about it. I just enjoy the good times and we stay in the city whenever there is something to do like attending cool functions or when it's meant to rain or be cold and enjoy the company of family and friens even if not on the water!

In the end you appreciate the good days on the water much more!

Bottom line, buy your new toy, don't look back and don't base your entire life on it or you'll be disapointed!

My .02$ !!!

Andy, it sounds like you made the correct decision to sell your boat(s). The bottom line is, boating is not your families priorities, which caused buyers remorse. There is nothing wrong with having other priorities. I doubt you will have buyers remorse paying for your daughter to go to college. Boating will NEVER work if your spouce does not enjoy it too.

My wife and I think about being in our boat just about everyday. Last weekend it was 45 degrees and sunny here in Idaho. Very nice day compared to the fridgid cold temps as of late. We pulled the boat out and gave it a good wash and wax, but it didn't need it. Tunes were rollin', we talked about going to the lake in another month as we waxed, it was a great day!

..............don't base your entire life on it or you'll be disapointed!

Man, the last 10 yrs of my life would be a waste if that was true for us. Almost every vacation we've taken the last few years revolved around riding, getting together with friends & enjoying life. Wives, girl friends, & kids young & old come along with us all the time.

I wouldn't want to do it any other way.

Time really is the one thing you can't have back. You really won't remember paying off the mortgage early. You will remember all the fun you'd had on the boat.

Besides, you can always sell the boat (taking a relatively small $$ loss), and then pay off the mortgage with the money that remains.