Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

How do you prop your boat.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• D-GOOSE

• areamike

• bretski75

• AikonMGB

The kit isn't necessary but a prop puller is really nice to have.

What motor do you have? And can you describe the cavitation you are talking about. I had an issue that I thought was cavitation but it turned out the trans was slipping.

The kit isn't necessary but a prop puller is really nice to have.

What motor do you have? And can you describe the cavitation you are talking about. I had an issue that I thought was cavitation but it turned out the trans was slipping.

Monsoon 325. There's nothing in particular that I can feel that makes me think it's cavitation, just the damage on the prop. It certainly /looks/ like cavitation burn (see pics above; I know they are not very clear, but I don't have access to the boat at the moment, and I can't keep pestering they who do to keep taking pictures until I get one I like). The burn has been around for a long time, but up until recently, it was only "skin-deep", so to speak -- it was just a portion of the blades where it didn't look polished anymore. But this summer, all three blades have gotten quite a bit worse, and in particular the one blade shown in the first picture, which has noticeable pitting.

What sort of sounds or vibrations should I be listening/feeling for to pinpoint cavitation? The only experience I have is when driving an outboard and turning sharply, when engine revs jump up and power output goes down.

There's one other issue that we haven't really started looking into yet, which (I think) is unrelated -- very, very occasionally (I mean twice this summer), with the throttle midway down (say, ~3500 rpm), the engine revs suddenly dropped for no noticeable reason by about 500 rpm. Bringing the throttle back just a touch regains perfect control over the engine.

Aikon-

p.s. I just got in contact with the boat sitters; apparently the CVP prop is a 13 x 13 LH; if we wanted to keep more or less the same performance characteristics, what would that translate into? We've got a top-end that hovers around or just over 50mph, but we have never had complaint of the hole-shot.. maybe it's just because we've never experienced better? I know at least that when I'm wakeboarding, if my brother drops the hammer I can't hold on to the rope..

Edited by AikonMGB

The CVP SS 13 x13 was the prop Malibu installed on the Responses 98,99 & 00. Cant speak for Boarding but for Slalom, with five RLX 325hp's in our gang., three w/4 blade OJ & two w/Acme 525, the Acme is the hands down favorite. As for the burn marks on your CVP, from what I read up on them, I believe that it is basically due to the casting process when the prop was manufactured. There have been some catastropic failures (blades seperating from the hub) but my biggest reason for change was performance. The CNC manufactured props are super smooth. Go to acmemarine.com & read up on three blade ski boat props. You do need a puller to change props, but I'd just buy the puller as IMO, if you buy the kit, your'e just overpaying for a couple wrenches you might already have.

The OJ xmp's are solid too, definitely worth a look. I have the 330 and couldn't be happier.

Unfortuantely your going to lose a little on the top end. I think due to the material difference and the blades on that CVP are pretty small. You should still get 46 or 47 out of it and the gains elsewhere are very noticeable.

• 3 years later...

After reading about CVP prop failures on older Malibus I've decided to replace the prop on my '97 Sunsetter, 320hp EFI. Boat is in fresh water at 750' msl, used 80% cruising, 20% light towing, casual slalom, wakeboard, etc. Malibu recommends replacing with the ACME 425, a 13x13 3 blade, while the ACME folks recommend the 525, which is a 11.5 pitch, both cupped .080. My question is this: Does the cupping and new CNC manufacturing process make the 11.5 pitch equivalent to the 13 pitch CVP stainless prop that is currently on the boat or will I lose top end and be revving slightly higher while cruising the lake? Power out of the hole is not so important anymore, so I was thinking the 425 with a 13 pitch would be the better prop for how we use the boat. Thoughts?

KH