Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

How do you prop your boat.

Out of curiosity, with that level of power, how many long line footers have you pulled up? If multiple, did you hook all the lines to the pylon?

Last year a month before the motor blew we pulled up 4 long line footers all on the pylon. I have an extended pylon. I think it is 50 inches..not sure.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• D-GOOSE

• areamike

• bretski75

• AikonMGB

Mike, cool and thanks, the get ups are pretty wild, I was amazed at how hard you can hit each other, we did three successfully.

Yeah it looked like a 4 ring circus back there Crazy.gif . I wish I had video. I might have some video tucked away of a 3 man start, but it went much smoother than the 4 man.

Mike, cool and thanks, the get ups are pretty wild, I was amazed at how hard you can hit each other, we did three successfully.

Yeah it looked like a 4 ring circus back there Crazy.gif . I wish I had video. I might have some video tucked away of a 3 man start, but it went much smoother than the 4 man.

When pulling multiple barefooters on long line use the hooks on the back of the boat and the pylon. This keeps the footers apart on the start. I have pulled 4 with a little banging into each other. Sure is fun to grab the rope beside of you. This will scare the one beside of you to death. Clap.gif

When pulling multiple barefooters on long line use the hooks on the back of the boat and the pylon. This keeps the footers apart on the start. I have pulled 4 with a little banging into each other. Sure is fun to grab the rope beside of you. This will scare the one beside of you to death. Clap.gif

hahahaha! That is funny.

We had a problem where a couple ropes were shorter which added even more fun to the circus. Nothing like getting ran over by another footer, literally.

edited for spelling, which by the way is 99% of the time why I edit my posts...stupid keybaord

Edited by areamike
Copy_of_prop_index.xls

info attached.

Where is the updated version going to be stored for access?

SFD,

I added your info and updated the file to version v8 which you can find in post number 2 in this thread. We still need more data to make this file more useful to people so I hope that as the temp warms people start to send in more info.

Thx.

-Dave

D-Goose,

Sent you an email with prop info for Response classic with ACME 525 & 449 data (with and without SSP). Tried to save changes but did not seem to work.

Copy_of_prop_index.xls

info attached.

Where is the updated version going to be stored for access?

SFD,

I added your info and updated the file to version v8 which you can find in post number 2 in this thread. We still need more data to make this file more useful to people so I hope that as the temp warms people start to send in more info.

Thx.

-Dave

Here's my Info. I have 2 more props I am testing tomorrow.

Cpoy_of_Propeller_Info_v9.xls

D-Goose,

Sent you an email with prop info for Response classic with ACME 525 & 449 data (with and without SSP). Tried to save changes but did not seem to work.

Dan, did it make a difference with/without plate and what was the change in the wake? Dramatic or not noticeable? I'm interested in your findings since I have never ran my boat without it's Barefoot plate.

D-Goose,

Dan, did it make a difference with/without plate and what was the change in the wake? Dramatic or not noticeable? I'm interested in your findings since I have never ran my boat without it's Barefoot plate.

Depending on the bend (I tried 3/32 & 5/64), I lost about 2MPH and 75 - 225 RPM at WOT. And the difference in wake between a plate and no plate (or badly adjusted plate) is HUGE!

When I got my boat, I told myself that I would break it in (10 hours) without the plate and add it on afterwards so I could really see the differrence. On my first day, after 5 hours I beleive (where you can run the engine at 4000 RPM), I barefooted behind it without the SSP and wanted to CRY... Cry.gif There was cavitation (like a 4 inch groove or hole) in the middle of the wake that was almost enough to trip you while crossing. That night I even lost sleep over it, regreting my choice of boat... the next morning, I got out at 7AM to install the SSP. After that, I was releived to see that the cavitation was gone, although the wake was wider and more turbulent than my 99 Sportster... but that is another story...

I say if you like your wake... DON'T TOUCH IT!!!

I have pictures if you like, PM me your email and I can send them to you. they are in rough waters though and I am dragging a 60' line and handle, so there is a bit of spray. maybe it can still give you an idea? Dontknow.gif

Edited by 1FootDan

Dan I sent off your info to Dave. What is a SSP and plate? Are they the same thing and is it like a wake plate to bring the back of the boat up so less is in the water?

Dan I sent off your info to Dave. What is a SSP and plate? Are they the same thing and is it like a wake plate to bring the back of the boat up so less is in the water?

SSP is this: Scarpa Suppression Plate

f_boat_desc--2347_478.jpg

• 1 month later...

I have an Echelon with the Scorpion. I have an OJ 4 force that I had custom pitched that works great. I just don't remember what they did, I will have to dig in records. I get about 45MPH at 5100 rpm on top. I use it for more low end power and steady pull. I have the stock CVP 13 x 13 that I know I need to get rid of, but man does that thing make the boat move, just about 50 mph at 4800.

What would be a comparable prop to that stock one, to keep that kind of speed? I was thinking of sticking with the old style with the smaller blades for less drag but don't know what size.

This is just the backup so I am not looking to buy an new CNC prop.

Suggestions??

2003 WakeSetter 23 LSV 335 Monsoon

Acme 1235 14.50 14.25 .105 cup 4 1 1/8" LH

49 mph driver and 1 skinny passenger no ballast- and a killer holeshot and better surf and wakeboard pull than the original 537 - surf with 3k ballast plus wedge.

It came with the 537 that yields 50 mph - use as a very worthy spare.

Edited by Brad B

Can anyone tell what prop this is on my '98 Sunsetter LX? I know it is a 13X13, but nothing else. I just bought the boat, and am having a hard time maintaining mid 20's while Air Chairing. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Prop.jpg

Most likely its A Part #:acme425 Acme - Dia: 13, Cup: .080

Pitch: 13 Blades: 3 Shaft: 1 1/8 Rotation: LH

OR Part #:OJLN3002 OJ Props, Dia: 13

Pitch: 13 Blades: 3 Shaft: 1 1/8 Rotation: LH

I would think that your going to want to prop down a little bit with the ACME 515 or 525 to help hold speed a little better. You will loose some top end. FYI

• 2 weeks later...

My prop turned out to be a stainless CVP 13X13, and I replaced it with an OJ 330 (13X11.5, .090 cup).

I tried verifying before / after top speed via GPS, but the accessory plug wouldn't hold well enough while bouncing. I could only verify that both of my speedometers were right on the money at 25 MPH via GPS. Anyway, my indicated top speed with the CVP was 47 MPH at 4700 RPMs, and my top speed with the OJ 330 was 45 MPH at 5000 RPMs. Both of these were performed with no ballast, full fuel tank and 2 people in both directions within 1 hour of each other. My gut feeling is that this is a much better max RPM for my engine, since I think it is rated up to 5200.

Everything else that I read about the OJ was right on the money. Hole shot is better, the wake is cleaner, lower speeds are easier to hold ... I couldn't be happier with the new prop.

Edited by Gernby
  • 2 months later...

Does anyone have suggestions for what works well on 04 SS LXI Monsoon? Im mostly using it for skiing so ~30-32 MPH.

I just purchased boat and it has a 4 blade OJ and i think the engine RPMS run a little high. anyone know what teh MAX rpm should be?

Thanks

OJ XMP 13 x 12 or 13 x 11.5. I have the 13 x 11.5 and am turning just over 3100 RPM to ski @ 30.

My Max/WOT is with 325 Monsoon is just over 45 MPH @ 4850 RPM (or so).

Need to figure out what you currently have. Indmar manual specs 4800 - 5200 RPM as max for that engine (Page B-1/83).

With that recommended MAX WOT, most likely the 330 - 13 x 11.5. We'd need more info about current prop to determine how that would compare. My boat came with 4 blade 13x13 OJ Legend on it & I prefer the 13 x 11.5 XMP.

• 7 months later...

Well, not sure if you are still adding data. But I seem to be one of the few guys running 4 blade prop in your sheet. I have a 2001 Sunsetter LXI with MPI 5.7L 350. I just put the 4 bladed 1318LS-X1 cutter stainless prop on and RPMs jumped up to 5150 max with about 47mph....not confident mph is a good reading. I will take gps next time and see if I can get a reading. Boat sounded awesome though. I bought it in 2001 at the Detroit Boat show from Skiers Pier. It has been an awesome boat. This site has helped me do many things to keep it so sweet.

Judging from the Indmar manual, looks like WOT for this engine (MPI) should be 4800-5200. So I think it is a good fit?

• 4 months later...
Yep still taking data and hope others full up the the info so we can help others with finding the right prop for them.

I'm going to be doing a lot of reading on this and hopefully adding to it soon.. this summer we noticed some really bad pitting on our SS (so must be CVP, I guess?) prop on our 98 RLX (~600hrs). Don't have the diam/pitch on-hand, but here's a pic of the pitting -- we suspect cavitation.

mrlx98-prop1_s.jpg

mrlx98-prop2_s.jpg

AikonMGB ,

Definitely get rid of the CVP as there have been some fairly major failures. My opinion is its not worth the risk to keep running with it. Plus you will have some major gains with a new CNC prop, the only down side is you will lose a little top end. My Echelon ran a little over 50 with that CVP.

A new one will be much quieter, and smoother than the Stainless.

I use an OJ 330 which is a 13 X 11.5 and couldn't be happier. We use it for slalom and barefoot mostly. If you are looking for more low end for wakeboarding the 13 X 11 or even their 4 blade 410 is nice.

AikonMGB ,

Definitely get rid of the CVP as there have been some fairly major failures. My opinion is its not worth the risk to keep running with it. Plus you will have some major gains with a new CNC prop, the only down side is you will lose a little top end. My Echelon ran a little over 50 with that CVP.

A new one will be much quieter, and smoother than the Stainless.

I use an OJ 330 which is a 13 X 11.5 and couldn't be happier. We use it for slalom and barefoot mostly. If you are looking for more low end for wakeboarding the 13 X 11 or even their 4 blade 410 is nice.

Thanks for the input; we are definitely ridding ourselves of it as soon as possible, even more so after having browsed around these forums the past couple days =P We have a couple slalom skiers and a couple wakeboarders in our family, so it will be a bit of a trade-off game to see which way we go. I would say that the emphasis is probably on skiing, since the best skier is running the course, whereas the best wakeboarder is still trying to land a 360; we also don't have a wedge, and rarely have any real ballast other than people (though occasionally we manage to load it up to the limit).

Out of curiosity, where do you think this cavitation is coming from -- hole-shot, WOT, or tight turns?

-Aikon