Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

LED Swim (Transom) Lights

fever5

I thought lights where first offered in the "07" model year? I would of ordered them on our "05" if they where offered or in "06" when I had the wedge plate changed to SS to match the foil.

I mounted ours by the swim platform brackets to avoid the wedge and they've work out great there.

Great minds think alike Biggrin.gif

That looks great! The water shots in your other post make the lights seem very bright , even in murky water.

I ordered my lights from Malibu(the 09 model) and thats where I am going to put them as well.

Plus you can always add another set of lights on the other side of the swim platform bracket, like the boat Bakes did.

NICE!! Rockon.gif

Does anyone know off hand what the lumen output of the 6 and the 9 light malibu led's? I have not been able to find this info. Thanks

Dave

Wow, you have no idea how much digging i had to do to figure this one out!!

Each LED on Malibu's lights are 120 lumens each, i added this info to our site too.

6 Light 720 lumens

9 Light 1080 lumens

hope this helps!!

-Paul

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
jeffmx

Did you have to pull your rear trunk floor panels to get to wires when mounting them outside the exhaust tunnel?

Nope... The wires come out just above the floor, just inside the engine compartment.

Neighbor sent me a new site for underwater lights Coastal Night Lights.

DAAAAAMMMMNNNN those are ugly...

They are not the most pretty, that's for sure... It looks like they put out half way decent light though.

-Paul

They would be pretty trick with a row of them around a dock. Good for bringing the boat onto the lift in the dark also, just get a radio controlled switch.

I've been looking for a less expensive way to do this on my Vride too. I'm having a hard time choking on $600, much less $1200. There are a ton of submersible LED pond lights available, but not very many 12volt, and even less surface mount.

Anyone have a descent submersible LED for a reasonable price?

Wow that seems like alot of $$$$ , do you think this could be a group buy?

Shawn

• 3 weeks later...

I want to put LED's on my 08 vlx. Is there a post or thread out there that has step by step installation instructions on how to do this. I am mechanically inclined and I like boat projects. I just find myself in the dark (pardon the pun) when it comes to figuring out where to run the wiring and power from. Also is it better to put them on the transom or the swim deck? Are there any easy instructions?

I've been looking for a less expensive way to do this on my Vride too. I'm having a hard time choking on $600, much less $1200. There are a ton of submersible LED pond lights available, but not very many 12volt, and even less surface mount.

Anyone have a descent submersible LED for a reasonable price?

Wow that seems like alot of $$$$ , do you think this could be a group buy?

Shawn

Wow, diggin up some old threads, eh.

Check out My Boat Gallery in my signature. There are a few pics of the finished project.

The previous owner of my boat had strung a wire around the entire boat with over a dozen LEDs all around the interior & used one of the stock AUX switches in the dash. I ended up going with the stock Malibu LEDs, which cost me a little over $300 for the pair. Seems like I remember their rated at like 720 lumens per fixture, which is pretty high compared to others. I drilled 3 holes in the transom for each fixture, 2 for screws, and a 3rd for the wire, which runs inside to the LED wire the rest are on. All holes are filled with silicone.

I don't recall the total wattage but even with all those LEDs, it never even came close to maxing out the limit of the wire. They draw such low wattage I run them for hours with little or no effect on the battery.

Edited by Bill_AirJunky
  • 2 weeks later...
martinarcher
I fabricated a DIY swim platform light and it works great. Total cost was around $25. I used a 12v halogen 50w mini bulb with prong connectors (Home Depot), and used standard issue pvc pipe couplings to fabricate a housing. Mounted it in the center of my teak platform and it makes for a very nice glowing light to swim off of at night. I did not want to cut through my transom to run power, so I removed the brass drain plug from my transom (never used it anyway), went to the plumbing supply store and found a brass fitting that threaded into the the old hole- then I ran my wiring through the open hole, and bought some killer polymer glue to permantly seal the hole. I recall posting some pics some time ago and will see if I can find them. While not as slick as an LED lighting installation, it works great and the 50 watt bulb puts out plenty of light. I do have to be carefull to use only 1 battery to run the stereo and the stern light at night.....that 50 watt bulb and the stereo running runs a battery down in a couple of hours Yahoo.gif

I found it - - http://www.themalibucrew.com/forums/index....24&hl=light

About half way down is the picture of my light under the transom. I have a more detailed description of the fab job, too.

The pics are gone. Got any pics of the install and details of your fab job?

• 2 weeks later...
Here are my pics of my White and Blue 08 VLX with white and Blue L.E.D's

http://photobucket.com/austin_wakesurfer

Very good job i get tons of compliments!

Underwater L.E.D's coming next!

Austin,

Pictures are awesome!

Questions:

1. Blue WS-420 bracket/cover. Did installer fabricate or where did you procure one?

2. My boat does not have rear stereo controls. Is yours an extra Mux or JBL remote? Do you know if this an just be plugged in to open remote plug?

3. How are all LEDs wired ? To an unused MUX switch or seperate circut with it's own switch?

Thanks,

Pete

• 2 weeks later...

so what is the state of the art in swim lights? I saw the WW thread - and it looks like they have done nothing but talk about where the lights come from.

so what is the state of the art in swim lights? I saw the WW thread - and it looks like they have done nothing but talk about where the lights come from.

Here is my 2 cents after reading and comparing 3 mid-priced swim lights. No actual experience, (and that is why it would be so nice if the guys at WW would actually post their results and opinions without waiting on publishing photos which are very subjective). A lot of this comes down to "specsmanship". The current state of lumen measurment reminds me of stereos 30+ years ago. There is no current industry standard that mfgs. must adhere to in detailing the measurment of their light output. This is coupled with the mounting, spacing, reflector, no reflector, etc. Then you consider that most are assembled in China and many mfgs or distributors will tell you/publish whatever makes their product appear highly rated.

That being said my analysis is restricted to Malibu OEM, Hong Kong import of Bullet 8000, and H20 lights. Not in depth - only MHO overview.

The pros and cons of the following appear to be:

Malibu OEM - Pros: Sold by www.Bakesonline.com who are great supporters of "the Crew" and provide excellent customer service and Malibu warranty. Published lumen output of 1080 = a cost of $0.158 per lumen using Crew Supporter discount (the current price per lumen winner) and no freight charges (over $100). Small design with flat back surface mount for easy install (small holes in hull).

Con: Only available in white

H2O lights 15 LED - Sold by http://h2olights.com/content/view/1/33/ Pros: White and Blue. Published lumen output (15 White LED model) of 1350. Blue LED only 270 lumens. Either color $289 = $0.214 per lumen White - $1.07 per lumen Blue. Smartsense circut to turn off lights after 3 hrs or low voltage shutdown, or overheat sensor. Flat surface mount design for easy install (small holes in hull).

Con: No instructs on web site on how or where to order? Freight? Some good comments on WW posts, but no hard details. Address is PO Box and corporate e-mail account is g-mail!

Bulletlines 8000 www.bulletlines.com & Hong Kong Group Buy - Pros: White & Blue Published lumen output ranges from 660 - 720 (Hong Kong distributor web site) and Bullet website claims 750 lumens. WW Group Buy of direct Hong Kong import $195 = $0.27 per lumen (720) - Bulletlines $270 = $0.375 per lumen. Larger size (Pro or Con?) with big reflectors may increase light output. Good review of apparent quality from WW. "Im pretty impressed with this light the thing weighs like 2 lbs and and feels like a nice piece of equipment. It looks very well made. The power draw is 1.13 Amp's Very Very low for how bright this light looks. It has a external power regulator and inline fuse."

Cons: Unknown freight cost (to be split by GB participants), who do you send back to for warranty issue? Does it matter? Or purchase from Bulletlines at higher price.

Back of light not flat http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/message...html?1239753762 appears to require larger hole. Requires power regulator box (supplied with unit).

Pete Rockon.gif

• 4 weeks later...

Here is my 2 cents after reading and comparing 3 mid-priced swim lights. No actual experience, (and that is why it would be so nice if the guys at WW would actually post their results and opinions without waiting on publishing photos which are very subjective). A lot of this comes down to "specsmanship". The current state of lumen measurment reminds me of stereos 30+ years ago. There is no current industry standard that mfgs. must adhere to in detailing the measurment of their light output. This is coupled with the mounting, spacing, reflector, no reflector, etc. Then you consider that most are assembled in China and many mfgs or distributors will tell you/publish whatever makes their product appear highly rated.

That being said my analysis is restricted to Malibu OEM, Hong Kong import of Bullet 8000, and H20 lights. Not in depth - only MHO overview.

The pros and cons of the following appear to be:

Malibu OEM - Pros: Sold by www.Bakesonline.com who are great supporters of "the Crew" and provide excellent customer service and Malibu warranty. Published lumen output of 1080 = a cost of $0.158 per lumen using Crew Supporter discount (the current price per lumen winner) and no freight charges (over $100). Small design with flat back surface mount for easy install (small holes in hull).

Con: Only available in white

H2O lights 15 LED - Sold by http://h2olights.com/content/view/1/33/ Pros: White and Blue. Published lumen output (15 White LED model) of 1350. Blue LED only 270 lumens. Either color $289 = $0.214 per lumen White - $1.07 per lumen Blue. Smartsense circut to turn off lights after 3 hrs or low voltage shutdown, or overheat sensor. Flat surface mount design for easy install (small holes in hull).

Con: No instructs on web site on how or where to order? Freight? Some good comments on WW posts, but no hard details. Update: can purchase direct at 888-745-6777 or [email protected] - Dealers can purchase from Gemeco Marine 843-210-7000

Bulletlines 8000 www.bulletlines.com & Hong Kong Group Buy - Pros: White & Blue Published lumen output ranges from 660 - 720 (Hong Kong distributor web site) and Bullet website claims 750 lumens. WW Group Buy of direct Hong Kong import $195 = $0.27 per lumen (720) - Bulletlines $270 = $0.375 per lumen. Larger size (Pro or Con?) with big reflectors may increase light output. Good review of apparent quality from WW. "Im pretty impressed with this light the thing weighs like 2 lbs and and feels like a nice piece of equipment. It looks very well made. The power draw is 1.13 Amp's Very Very low for how bright this light looks. It has a external power regulator and inline fuse."

Cons: Unknown freight cost (to be split by GB participants), who do you send back to for warranty issue? Does it matter? Or purchase from Bulletlines at higher price.

Back of light not flat http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/message...html?1239753762 appears to require larger hole. Requires power regulator box (supplied with unit).

NICE PICTURES POSTED by swissboy on 6/2/09 of Abyss 1215's!

Pete Rockon.gif

Results of long awaited underwater light testing are at WW Clap.gif . Unfortunately Malibu OEM not included in test, but VERY informative.

http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/message...html?1244010787

Pete

Edited by scanr
  • 3 weeks later...

Has anyone seen the marine brass LED's at aqualeds.com These things look pretty sweet. 3000 Lumens at 329 = about 10.9 cents / lumen using Pete's formula. They look like they are made pretty well. Aqualeds20004.JPG

Joe

Has anyone seen the marine brass LED's at aqualeds.com These things look pretty sweet. 3000 Lumens at 329 = about 10.9 cents / lumen using Pete's formula. They look like they are made pretty well. Aqualeds20004.JPG

Joe

Holy crap your alive. I thought you dropped off the face of the earth.

Joe

Long story..... Still kickin... Clap.gif Doing great!!! what do you think of those lights? I know nothing about them, thinking about installing some though....

Joe

Joe

Long story..... Still kickin... Clap.gif Doing great!!! what do you think of those lights? I know nothing about them, thinking about installing some though....

Joe

Glad to hear it. I think those lights look a little questionable. If you compare the malibu led's to these the led's look very different. These look like ordinary led's that go into light pods, not the underwater led's that other manufactureres are using. As far as the price they look pretty hard to beat, especially since they are made in the USA. The brass housing kinda throws off the looks of them but hey they are under water though. Plus the fact you can get them in colors is nice to. The white led's are the only ones that are going to put out 1500 lumes each, the colored ones will not put out that ammount of lumens.