Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

LED Swim (Transom) Lights

fever5

I've been looking for a less expensive way to do this on my Vride too. I'm having a hard time choking on $600, much less $1200. There are a ton of submersible LED pond lights available, but not very many 12volt, and even less surface mount.

Anyone have a descent submersible LED for a reasonable price?

It was rex marine or something but I did see leds cheap - under or at 100.

Possibly at $100 each. There are two.

Looking at the Abyss website, their spendy. In excess of $600 per pair.

I still don't have mine mounted. I'll be damned if it didn't snow again on Friday night. But I have tested them & rest assured... their BRIGHT!

Unless you found a killer deal, you better double that price on the stock lights Cervelo. Or only install one light.

Also, I looked at several of the LED setups bolted to the swimstep. None of them were nearly bright enough to really light up the water very well. The pics on the Earmark website look great on land. It would be cool to see them on the water too.

Edited by Bill_AirJunky
Unless you found a killer deal, you better double that price on the stock lights Cervelo. Or only install one light.

Also, I looked at several of the LED setups bolted to the swimstep. None of them were nearly bright enough to really light up the water very well. The pics on the Earmark website look great on land. It would be cool to see them on the water too.

was just going by what onamission said he got his OEM lights for, did i mis-remember the price from the previous page? Dontknow.gif

I have been looking at adding some LED under the platform as well and think I am going to order mine from www.oznium.com They have under water floods for 15 each- not sure how bright they will be but figure I can put 4 under there for 60 bucks and see. Also going to add some to the cup holders and interior - hopefully get it all done by spring time.

I have been looking at adding some LED under the platform as well and think I am going to order mine from www.oznium.com They have under water floods for 15 each- not sure how bright they will be but figure I can put 4 under there for 60 bucks and see. Also going to add some to the cup holders and interior - hopefully get it all done by spring time.

you have to be careful when buying LED's. I installed 10 or more 6 light LED pods under the swim platform of my former ssvlx and you had to open the wedge door and look real close on a dark night to see if they were on. It was like, "do you wanna see my cool underwater lights, here, look closely, see that cool yellow glow?" it was somewhat embarrassing.

I did get them for a good price though.

I talked to Mo-Blubu about his LED tower spool/anchor light the other day & he mentioned that he's working on a transom light too. Sounds like he's got a handle on the lights themselves. But I'm not sure he's ramped up far enough to handle any big demand for the completed lights.

Cervelo, I think Onamission has the 2007 transom lights. In fact, I believe I recall reading that he's picked up a set of the 2008s & has his 2007s for sale. My dealer has told me that the newer lights are 5 times brighter than the old ones.

We shall soon see.

All of the Swim lights I have seen from Malibu have been LED. Now docking light are another thing, they used to be halogen but are now LED too. 2 light pods and 2 SS covers for under $100 from the dealer without install. I mounted mine a little lower and to the side of the exhaust tips, they do light up the prop wash pretty good.
I've gotten a number of PM's about the underwater LED light that I got form Malibu last spring, so to stop some of the confusion about what they look heres a quick picture of them. Sorry for the bad picture bad but its cold outside and I could only move the boat away from the wall of the garage about a foot.

th_100_3498.jpg

was just going by what onamission said he got his OEM lights for, did i mis-remember the price from the previous page? Dontknow.gif

That was 07 prices on 07 lights, which work fairly well for lighting up the water around the back of the boat.

Also - what are the advantages of under platform vs. transom mounting?

Good question. A couple thoughs of my own here. The obvious with them on the platform is if you take it off often (like I do every time in and out of my garage), you'll have to deal with an electrical plug too. That may not be a big deal, but I'm wondering what kind of plug it will be that is good being in water all the time. As for light quality, won't you get a lot of reflection being above the water line? You'll get a cool looking glow, but if you want to actually see in the water, I would think you'd want it below the water line. Guess it all depends on what you are after.

I'll tell you guys what, if you figure out what would be some of the best LED lights for inside and under the swim deck. I'll figure out a way to do a group buy.

You basically have 2 ways to go with the lights.

1. Mounting the light to the swim platform. I don't think this system will light up the water for swimming, just reflect off. From what I have seen this will give you more of the glow effect that you see on cars. You do have more color options and it does look good. You also need to deal with the wires and or plug issue for power.

2. Mounting them to the transom. Light are under the water and do light up nice for swimming. You need to be looking at the boat from above to see the lights. My 07' light up about a 8'-10' area.

Now with either system the brighter the more $'s and brighter is better. Thumbup.gif

Malibu 07' about $60 each

Malibu 08' about $130each

Abyss are $220 to $390 each

Is there a physical difference in the '07 and '08 leds? I have an '08 but purchased in '07. Just curious which ones I got???

IMG_2661.JPG

07, have 3 LED's and about 2 1/2" long. The 08's have 6 LED's and about 4" long.

vette-ski, See your thinking the same way I'm on the lights. Biggrin.gif

I am planning on mounting to the platform- since I have a teak platform should be an easy mount. I am also planning on useing one of the swim platform brackets as the positive terminal( connection inside the boat) and the other as the negative so the platform will come on/off as normal no extra connections. Getting to the bracket from the inside may be tough- but hopefully will only have to happen once. And if I want to relocate them to the transom at some point later I should be able to.

Is there a physical difference in the '07 and '08 leds? I have an '08 but purchased in '07. Just curious which ones I got???

One of the guys at Malibu told me the 07 LEDs were phased out in like July of 07. So anything built after that should have the newer LEDs.

I am planning on mounting to the platform- since I have a teak platform should be an easy mount. I am also planning on useing one of the swim platform brackets as the positive terminal( connection inside the boat) and the other as the negative so the platform will come on/off as normal no extra connections. Getting to the bracket from the inside may be tough- but hopefully will only have to happen once. And if I want to relocate them to the transom at some point later I should be able to.

If this set-up works as planned, could post some instructions on how you wired the + and - through the transom mounts?

Sounds like a cool project.

www.perko.com

I don't know if this is off interest but they have some pretty neat LED interior lighting, and also they have what looks to be a solid underwater transom light.

underwaterlight.jpg

Edited by Dave K
  • 1 month later...

It seems like underwater LEDs are starting to catch on for smaller boats. Both OceanLED and Abyss (http://www.abysslite.com) now have smaller lights which are more economical, although still about $300 each. Abyss also added some more powerful lights to their collection S-1515.