Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

max speed

BamaBuCrew

What is a max top speed for a 23 foot malibu wakesetter with a 400hp? 450hp?

Also, how do you guys rate the fuel mileage compared to other comp ski boats. I saw the 55 gal capacity! Whew! A weekends worth?

Thanks,

Soon2bNaBU2

My 05 23 LSV w/ HH 383 did about 47-48mph with the Acme 537, GPS verified. Burn rate was about 5.5gph on average. If you stay out of the throttle you could get about a weekends worth of riding on one tank.

I heard the 8.1L will run close to 50 mph in the 23 LSV. Burn rate will probably be close to 6 gph which is about what I get on the 247 using a OJ 475 and or Acme 537.

I've only been in one 2006 247 with the big block over the 4th of july this year, and I am with tgaugh on this. After a surfer quits and we go to turn around there is a certain RPM that there is a deafening constant tone that screams the big blocks power. I wasnt really paying attention most of the time but every time we were around 1500-1700 rpm loaded for surfing, that big block tone was definitely evident. When we were loaded we had the front middle and left ballast full with three additional sacs and about 10 people in the boat. Man the wake was amazing, but she was thirsty and you could tell it was a big block.

I've got a 2004 23' wakesetter LSV with the 8.1 liter 425 hp engine and the stock prop and she does 49 mph on the speedo and on the gps with the tach reading 5000 rpm. The top end does not start to drop off until I have more than 7 people in the boat. She is a pig on gas at about 5.5 gal/hr, but so what, its a boat and they all use a lot of gas. A long day with a lot of people in the boat and the 55 gallon tank gets real small. I usually only burn about 25 gallons per trip so it is not that bad and I am not buying the fuel on the water.

The engine runs very smooth and has an amazing amount of torque, something most people don't mention as they are only worried about HP. I have about 225 hours on the engine and the only issue I have had is a blown alternator which I had rebuilt for $90 and upgraded to 140 amps. The engine is also amazingly quiet.

Here is a pic of the GPS and Tach. It was a pretty crappy day on the delta on Sunday due to the wind. I had 4 people in the boat and the engine easily reved out (the engine cuts out) at 5450 rpm. This was 48.3 mph at about a 45 degree angle into the wind and the only one of 4 pics that I took that is not blurry from the bouncing. A little moe pitch in the prop and it would easily go over 50. The wife thought I was nuts.

-Dave

post-3887-1186466665_thumb.jpg

Edited by winddawg

Were you following a 20MPH current (GPS indicates ground speed, not water displacement) or it your speedometer 20mph off? :unsure:

I've got a 2004 23' wakesetter LSV with the 8.1 liter 425 hp engine and the stock prop and she does 49 mph on the speedo and on the gps with the tach reading 5000 rpm. The top end does not start to drop off until I have more than 7 people in the boat. She is a pig on gas at about 5.5 gal/hr, but so what, its a boat and they all use a lot of gas. A long day with a lot of people in the boat and the 55 gallon tank gets real small. I usually only burn about 25 gallons per trip so it is not that bad and I am not buying the fuel on the water.

The engine runs very smooth and has an amazing amount of torque, something most people don't mention as they are only worried about HP. I have about 225 hours on the engine and the only issue I have had is a blown alternator which I had rebuilt for $90 and upgraded to 140 amps. The engine is also amazingly quiet.

Here is a pic of the GPS and Tach. It was a pretty crappy day on the delta on Sunday due to the wind. I had 4 people in the boat and the engine easily reved out (the engine cuts out) at 5450 rpm. This was 48.3 mph at about a 45 degree angle into the wind and the only one of 4 pics that I took that is not blurry from the bouncing. A little moe pitch in the prop and it would easily go over 50. The wife thought I was nuts.

-Dave

Notworthy.gif Looks like you got one of the fast ones!!

-Dave

PhotoCHOP! HA!

Looks legit. She's a quick one, bet that engine is loud as hell! LMAO!

-Dave

PhotoCHOP! HA!

50mph is what the factory told me on th e23 LSV w/ 8.1L, see he is close. LOUD? My 8.1L with down turns is more quiet than my old HH383 was. Why do you guys think it is loud?

-Dave

PhotoCHOP! HA!

50mph is what the factory told me on th e23 LSV w/ 8.1L, see he is close. LOUD? My 8.1L with down turns is more quiet than my old HH383 was. Why do you guys think it is loud?

I know, your boat is really quiet in the cabin. I do know that tgaugh's earlier comments were regarding behind the boat, so maybe that's what they're talking about. Still, your Bullets don't get drowned out by the 8.1L so I honestly don't know where they're coming from on that. Dontknow.gif

-Dave

Two more runs this past weekend with 4 people in the boat:

post-3887-1187192392_thumb.jpg

post-3887-1187192403_thumb.jpg

You know you can adjust the speedo......

I tried in the past and have not been able to keep it calibrated. The GPS and Perfect Pass are always within +/- 1 mph and the "main speedo" just will not stay accurate for longer than a day so I gave up. Any suggestion(s) as to what I am doing wrong or what might be wrong with the device?

Thanks,

-Dave

I tried in the past and have not been able to keep it calibrated. The GPS and Perfect Pass are always within +/- 1 mph and the "main speedo" just will not stay accurate for longer than a day so I gave up. Any suggestion(s) as to what I am doing wrong or what might be wrong with the device?

Thanks,

-Dave

Thats weird on my 04 and 05 LSV my speedometer was more accurate than my PP at over 40mph and ran exactly the same speed as my GPS. Might want to have the dealer check it next time you take it in for service, etc.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks,

-Dave

Thats weird on my 04 and 05 LSV my speedometer was more accurate than my PP at over 40mph and ran exactly the same speed as my GPS. Might want to have the dealer check it next time you take it in for service, etc.

Hi Stewart,

Well I had the speedo checked out last week and the adjustment switch on the dash was bad. The switch was changed out and when I used the boat this weekend it worked perfectly.

-Dave

Hi Stewart,

Well I had the speedo checked out last week and the adjustment switch on the dash was bad. The switch was changed out and when I used the boat this weekend it worked perfectly.

-Dave

Cool.