Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Converting boat lift for PWC

Shodan01

I just got approved for a double slip (double decker) dock for my new boat.....Amazing how everything comes due at once, so I guess I need to contact my CFO (Wife) and see if she approves...lol

My question is this: The new dock has double slips, and both already have lifts in place (6600 lbs). I am considering modifying one lift for our jet ski's for now. I know I can put the bunks close together and get one ski on, but any ideas to put both skis on? I thought angled, but it wouldn't sit flush. I also thought about taking the bunks off, and putting in a platform that they could just sit on to raise up.

I can also do the sun ports etc, but just thought this would be nice under the dock while I don't have a second boat.

Ideas?

post-24771-0-02400100-1455150382_thumb.j

Narrow the bunks & place the jet skis end to end?

I thought about that. Since the ski's are 11 foot, I will have to see how the weight distribution would be (Thinking out loud). Id guess the bunks are 16-18 foot, so it would have to hang off some even if I faced front to back etc. I won't have this moved to my house for a few weeks so I guess I will find out more later.

I run two sets of bunks with the skis side-by-side. Only sucky part is that if you want to launch only one ski .. you have to hold the other one or it will float away. (pic is an internet grab, not mine but it looks identical)

Boat-House-Deluxe-Double-Jet-Ski-Lift.jp

Edited by pauley71

I run two sets of bunks with the skis side-by-side. Only sucky part is that if you want to launch only one ski .. you have to hold the other one or it will float away. (pic is an internet grab, not mine but it looks identical)

Boat-House-Deluxe-Double-Jet-Ski-Lift.jp

I do not have this set up, but I have seen it on the river we use. I have seen two skis side by side, and stacked front to back. To prevent both skis from floating when launching the trick is to have one set of the bunks higher (taller). This way one ski starts to float first and then you can launch that one. To launch the other, you put the lift down lower. Obviously, when stacked front to back, make the most rearward bunk shorter and the more forward bunk taller.

I like that too - My goal was to make it possible to pull the skis out easily, and then throw another boat in there as needed. Based on the height of the roof of the dock, I am having some work done to the lift to get my new 24MXZ out of the water, yet not through the roof. While there I might ask him to add another set of bunks.

My setup is like that. I only fit one jetski on without adding additional bunks. Bunks are 16ft long on mine. I only use it when we are putting it away at the end of the weekend. During the weekend when it is being used it is very much a hassel to put it back on the lift. It stays on the hydroport fri-sun.

Edited by chris4x4gill2

Use this set up (above)... but add PVC guides so its not a huge pain to load/unload them... i'm thinking two on the front and two on the sides... slip a rope over the steering column to the front two pvc pipes per ski....

As far as adding another boat... on the outside of the skis... place a taller bunk on each side.... but you'll need to beef up those brackets. Pull out the pvc, and voila...

Personally i'd set em up for the skis for now.... and cross bridge number two when you get there.

Edited by mwfillmore

Thanks for the info - I think it wouldn't be too hard to add a second set of bunks spaced enough apart. My skis are 4 foot across (per website) so they should fit. I am sure that raising the air tanks would be tricky with the skis floating around often.

I could just sell the lift and buy two sun ports for about the same cost lol.

SC

• 5 years later...

I was thinking about housing my jet in my boat lift temporarily until I can get something a bit more appropriate.  Currently, the width of the bunks are approximately 30 inches, is that to wide or just right for a jetski?

The google machine says the average width of a jetski is 45-50 inches. If you have an average ski... then sure! I bet you can barrow a tape measure from  @justgary, your Florida neighbor,  if you need one to measure your jetski.

10 hours ago, BlindSquirrel said:

The google machine says the average width of a jetski is 45-50 inches. If you have an average ski... then sure! I bet you can barrow a tape measure from  @justgary, your Florida neighbor,  if you need one to measure your jetski.

I generally keep one in my truck....