TwoMargaritasPlease

LS3 Overheating

TwoMargaritasPlease

At about 500 hours my engine started getting warm, 180-190. Never happened before.

I replaced the impeller, no improvement. In fact, it hit 225 a couple times and shut down.

Replaced thermostat, seemed to solve the problem.

While surfing, I kept getting above 200 again. Bow is up, engine pushing hard. Noticed excessive water in the bilge, enough to get picked up by pulleys and splash entire engine. Bilge pump not keeping up. Found a leaking PnP, replaced bag, still getting water. Found a small leak in the ballast plumbing, a loose vent. So far, this seems to fix the issue but I will continue to test.

Any thoughts on what is causing this? Why is my engine overheating when under load and wet? 

drh

Maybe the belt that drives the circulation pump is slipping because it's wet? Try checking tension to make sure it's tight.

TwoMargaritasPlease

I considered that possibility. Then I realized the impeller is on the end of the crankshaft. It will be spinning even if you removed the belt.

drh
Posted (edited)

Correct but the circulation pump is what moves the water through your engine and is belt driven. It's the large pulley top and center.

Edited by drh

TwoMargaritasPlease

Dang, the one under the air cleaner? I thought that was a big idler. It's amazing I could get so old without knowing that. 

The belt is tight and I questioned whether it could slip. But I suppose it's possible. Thanks.