Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Monsoon II Oil Pan Replacement Project

1 hour ago, justgary said:

Boz -

It's a good time to change the exhaust hoses and fuel lines if you haven't done that recently.  

Did you get the transmission off?

- Just Gary

My fuel lines, and exhaust hoses were replaced in 2012.  I replaced pretty much everything when I redid the interior.   I guess I didn't get all of the bolts off the transmission,  none of the information is very clear on which bolts hold the transmission on to the engine.   I wasted most of my time with the oil pan.   Hopefully I will have time in a couple weeks to try again on the damper plate replacement.  The original really doesn't give me much concern, it just seemed like a good idea to replace with the upgraded plate while the engine is out of the boat.   I replaced the strut bushings with the newer plastic ones and will need to align the engine when I put it back in.

any suggestions are welcome.

I pulled the oil pump and it showed no visible signs of wear. The original pump had a plastic collar connecting the pump with the metal drive shaft that connects to the bottom of the distributor. I replaced the plastic connect with a melling oil pump drive shaft with a metal collar attached to it.  I considered replacing the oil pump but went back with the original.

B3F79756-A648-40A2-B931-31409A3EC630.jpeg

5198B7F8-306D-4F38-94A4-B24ED0DD7419.jpeg

MEL-IS-55E_xl.jpg

Edited by Bozboat
  • 3 weeks later...

Background:  original oil pan rusted around the brass drain plug.  Second Oil pan, the 7 quart Indmar/Moroso did not fit due to the raw water intake pipe being to close to the drain pan.   Third oil pan fits engine and boat, but had a metric drain plug.  My original drain plug with the hose attachment would not fit. 

Update:   I ordered the metric drain plug hose adapter.  Turns out it is too small.  Apparently, oil pans are made with random sized drain plugs.

I guess I will take the original drain plug hose adapter, the fancy banjo drain plug hose adapter and the latest metric drain plug adapter and go to the parts store and see if I can find an oil pan with a drain plug hole that matches one of my three choices.   

239A72BB-3022-4573-ABDA-3C8129526C7D.jpeg

61CCC873-B1AE-41F3-AD85-93923A9BCD5E.jpeg

574F891E-7E8D-4577-850C-4ED31DC2A155.jpeg

Edited by Bozboat

@Bozboat:  Perhaps a couple of options:  1.  Call Merc and ask them what size fitting or plug so that maybe you can  2.  drill and tap a standard drain plug to fit the metric hose banjo fitting.

Scroll down to the bolt part:  https://www.adaptall.com/products/downloads/Adaptall-BANJO-booklet.pdf

Supply source:  https://www.anplumbing.com/adapters/banjos-bolts.html

30 minutes ago, Woodski said:

@Bozboat:  Perhaps a couple of options:  1.  Call Merc and ask them what size fitting or plug so that maybe you can  2.  drill and tap a standard drain plug to fit the metric hose banjo fitting.

Scroll down to the bolt part:  https://www.adaptall.com/products/downloads/Adaptall-BANJO-booklet.pdf

Supply source:  https://www.anplumbing.com/adapters/banjos-bolts.html

that's great information.  Thank you.