Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

WakeSetter “Agressive” Throttle Option

TexasTexas95

So, as many of us know that with the newer Raptor motors we’ve got an Agressive Throttle option as a choice in our Settings screen. For those who didn’t know this, go play with it and try it out. It’s very different from the stock throttle feel. 

I don’t use it for any other reason than goofing around on the boat. Even the “docking mode” has a purpose which I never use anyway but I understand it’s purpose at least. 

I thought for sure this was a question google had all the right answers for, but she didn’t....Neither did Youtube. 

Can anyone tell me why we have this as an option? 

Let me know what it is for if you know, or if you use it for any specific application, I’m dying to know.

Interesting, I know that since I usually drive my old boat w/ a mechanical throttle the modern drive by wire throttles feel weird to me.  I sometimes over rev and have to quickly pull back because the feel and engagement points are so different.  I've never heard of the other modes. 

It’s probsbly like sport mode like a car except it’s you that have a more “aggressive” control/feel instead of the ECM, so maybe it overrides that digital feel and makes it more analog feel

15 minutes ago, Gavin17 said:

So I'm guessing docking mode opens the throttle slower. Making it less sensitive?

Yes Sir. From memory it might limit engine RPM as well. Haven't used it in forever.

Edited by 23LSVOwner
20 hours ago, agarabaghi said:

does it help at all in getting on plane at wakeboard speeds heavily weight? 

Since it ramps it open faster I would think so. Not sure of exactly how much it would help though.

SO...In conclusion, aside from the possibility of the setting allowing the boat to plane out quicker whenever weighted heavily, it has no real use or explanation I missed in the manual? 

Just now, TexasTexas95 said:

SO...In conclusion, aside from the possibility of the setting allowing the boat to plane out quicker whenever weighted heavily, it has no real use or explanation I missed in the manual? 

Maybe that and getting  "big boy" up on the board faster.

:biggrin:

Why would it get the boat on plane any quicker? Or get larger riders up faster? At the end of the day, full throttle is full throttle. This just changes the sensitivity in-between.

Edited by boardjnky4
  • Like 2

i can tell you that changing the PP settings on the older PP would get the boat on plane a lot faster. you could change how high the engine reved a wot through the PP screen im wondering if its the same?

Just picked up my boat a couple of weeks ago. My dealer told me it is so people that are driving the boat can get a person out of the water quickly.  He explained it as an inexperience person who might not use enough gas to get someone out of the water.  I guess it takes the play out of the throttle and that a majority of people will never use it.

19 hours ago, boardjnky4 said:

Why would it get the boat on plane any quicker? Or get larger riders up faster? At the end of the day, full throttle is full throttle. This just changes the sensitivity in-between.

When you go WOT on the stick it doesn't immediately go WOT on the throttle body. There is a ramp rate for it. It isn't like the old mechanical cable days.

Edited by 23LSVOwner
51 minutes ago, pauley71 said:

That doesn't make any sense.  The boat will just cavitate more .. I don't know that you could get out of the water "quicker".

Right. Any perceived improvement in "momentum" from the throttle ramping up fast, is probably not even a measurable difference in time to plane out. A stiff tail wind is probably more effective.

As the instructor for The University of Texas Wakeboard and Wakesurf rec sports program ( among tons of other private clients every year) I’ll say that a soft pull out of the water for beginners is much better at getting beginners up vs. yanking the rope out of their hands. That’s coming straight from a driver/instructors perspective. If the rider is anything better than a novice, they already know how to get up and a super slow pull or an aggressive pull wont matter because they simply know how to “get up”. That’s why i feel like an aggressive yank out of the water for inexperienced drivers is dumb or possibly even unsafe at best. I guess I’m just searching for a legitimate reason for the aggressive throttle option. 

• Like 1
5 hours ago, TexasTexas95 said:

I guess I’m just searching for a legitimate reason for the aggressive throttle option. 

Maybe aggressive is for pulling up slalom skiers, and non-aggressive is for wakeboarders.

29 minutes ago, tvano said:

has nothing to do with how fast the boat will jump to plane but rather it's just a driver feel issue.

some pro drivers prefer more throttle actuation across less range at the control.

That makes sense