Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

New Interior for a 2000 Sportster LX

EdK

My winter project is to start replacing the whole interior of my boat.  I bought the boat about 2 years ago knowing that the interior needed to be replaced. The boat had spent a lot of time in the sun, so I need to replace the entire interior.  I don't have the resources to replace it all at once so my plan is to replace it over time.  I'm not sure where to start, any suggestions?

2 hours ago, EdK said:

My winter project is to start replacing the whole interior of my boat.  I bought the boat about 2 years ago knowing that the interior needed to be replaced. The boat had spent a lot of time in the sun, so I need to replace the entire interior.  I don't have the resources to replace it all at once so my plan is to replace it over time.  I'm not sure where to start, any suggestions?

How much time is "over time", and are you doing the work yourself?  I recommend doing it all at once to make sure it matches up well. If you do the tear out and install, and take the seat skins off to someone who can duplicate them with new material, you can save a LOT of money.  It's actually a simple job and fun to do.

• Like 1

I'm not sure how much I will do verses having someone do it for me.  The Plan is for me to take the old interior out to save on the labor.  Overtime means, it depends on the cost.  I have no idea what something like this will cost. 

• Like 1

I did some interior work on mine, and if you can swing it buy a pneumatic stapler.  I used an electric one and still had to hammer in the staples, it did not provide enough "oomph".

Is there a particular brand of  pneumatic stapler to get.  Pricing is all over the place. 

Edited by EdK
24 minutes ago, Michigan boarder said:

I've got that exact stapler and am starting this exact project myself.  All skins have been removed and are in transit.

EYQiWnq.jpg

8kfQR42.jpg

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, Ndawg12 said:

I've got that exact stapler and am starting this exact project myself.  All skins have been removed and are in transit.

EYQiWnq.jpg

Looks like the perfect time to go a step further and do a flooring project. Already halfway there!

13 hours ago, Woodski said:

Does she have a motive for having you spend 2x the time on projects, LOL. :whistle:

Complains about that too but on those 90 degrees days it better be clean and ready!!  No win situation when it comes to the boat. 

Might be beneficial to go ahead and pull the carpet and coat the floor even if you don't buy the flooring material. There's budget alternatives that seem to be really good for the price. I couldn't pull off spending well over $1000 on the Gator Step or Seadek so I'm cutting my own sheets for my boat. Way better value for the money. I'll make a post when I get started. 

• 2 weeks later...
6 minutes ago, EdK said:

I don't have an air compressor.  What type/size would I need for a job like this?

Any small compressor will work. I use a Kobalt compressor. The "pancake" compressors usually have good sales on them at the big box stores.

• 1 month later...

I am trying to find out what the dimensions are for the back seat of this boat are.  Does anyone know what they are or someone that does?

I can put you in touch with a guy in Knoxville TN who did mine, it was WAY cheaper than I would have ever guessed to make the skins and install the actual vinyl.  I know you're trying to spread the cost over time but for a couple different reasons I'd suggest either doing it all now or waiting and doing it all next season.  I had 28 different sections and the 247 has several large sections, I was amazed by his pricing.  PM me for more details in interested.

MeCoXOF.jpg

1 hour ago, Ndawg12 said:

I can put you in touch with a guy in Knoxville TN who did mine, it was WAY cheaper than I would have ever guessed to make the skins and install the actual vinyl.  I know you're trying to spread the cost over time but for a couple different reasons I'd suggest either doing it all now or waiting and doing it all next season.  I had 28 different sections and the 247 has several large sections, I was amazed by his pricing.  PM me for more details in interested.

MeCoXOF.jpg

That looks awesome. A bit of motivation for the next warm, dry day we get.

Do it once and get it over with. I redid my interior the first winter I had her and it was the best thing I could’ve done.

I do wish i’d done the floor, but I barely had time to do the interior. I also had a ton of other work that needed to be done that took up a lot of extra time and $$.