Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
SafeGate

Hole saw in fiberglass. Remote controller unit

Does anyone have experience using a hole saw for a 3" hole in fiberglass? I'd like to mount a remote controller for the radio in the back, and didn't know if I had to use a router to manually cut the hole or just use a hole saw. 

The hole saw I've got is multi-purpose, so I was thinking I could run it in reverse to cut the fiberglass, then chamfer out the edges manually. 

Also, is there any sourse of information you know of on how to run wiring in a boat properly? I'm sure I can run wire, but there must be a best practices document on securing and routing. 

Should work fine.

Years ago I removed the windshield on my Response to put speakers in. I used a hole saw to cut the dash. Surprisingly clean cut! I didn't even bother to start in reverse. I put a pilot hole in first though.

Edited by Chaabo

@SafeGate:  Assuming a good hole saw it will work.  I used a 4" version for exhaust tips, 2" for cup holder, etc.  Many techniques for achieving a nice cut, I recommend checking with experts or a good video.

Find some scrap fiberglass and practice first. It can be a touch thing.

1 person likes this

Run the saw backwards until you get through the gelcoat. If you don't it will try to grab when you get the blades on the gel and make for a crappy cut. Can also cause stress runners from tiny fractures it causes.

Make sure you lightly sand the top edge of the fiberglass after you make the cut around the hole.  Just the lip where the hole is.

Edited by JeffK

I put a couple layers of tape down first to help with cracking or spidering fiberglass. After wards sanded the edge.

Was pretty easy.  Make sure bit is sharp.

When peeling tape off make sure you peel towards the hole.

Thanks guys. should be fun.