Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Ballast Recommendations - 06 23LSV

kylesullens

I'm adding ballast to my 23LSV Sunscape.  No factory ballast and prior owner did not add anything.  I'm looking to make the best surf wave possible with this boat, and to get a better wakeboard wake.

At recommendation from WakeMakers, i'm adding a 900lb bag in each locker and a 500 lb bag under the bow seats.  All will be hard-plumbed, each with it's own pump, switch, and timer.  I've got most of the components and will be starting the install this weekend.

Before I start drilling, want to ping the group to see if there are any other ballast configurations I should be considering.  I want it all hard plumbed and hidden.  Seating space is at a premium, and my OCD will not allow bags and pipes to be exposed.

Thanks for any input.

That is a good place to start but if you want to surf you will need more weight up front.  At least put a y fitting in for the front pump in case you would like to add the triangle bag down the road.  There are some good threads on how to do this cleanly.  I do not run without the bow bag unless we are 600 lbs of people or more and I have the factory center tank as well.  I isn't that you cannot surf without it but you asked about the best surf wave possible and with the 900s full you will have a lot of bow rise and a fairly short wave.  You didn't mention vents so you will want those if not in the plans.  Not sure what wakeshaper you were thinking about but the nauticurl gets good reviews.  I was really surprised how much weight it took to surf my boat but was happy when it was dialed in, you will be too. 

Yes each bag will have its own fill/ drain and it's own vent.

Is your suggestion that I'll need more than the planned 500lbs up front?  Here is the bag I'm planning to install

https://www.wakemakers.com/straight-line-sumo-open-bow-bag-500.html

I haven't installed it yet, but I'm skeptical that it will inflate fully in the unseat bow compartments. Hopefully I'm wrong. 

I also have the power wedge.  Does the nauticurl play well with the PW?

Thanks

Yes, I am pretty sure you will want more up front.  You can try it without extra up front but I wouldn't lock myself in where it would be too difficult to throw another plumbed sack on the seats.  I hope to order the nauticurl this winter with all the good reviews I have read. I am currently using the wicked wake surf.  The concept is similar and you can still dial the wake with the power wedge.  I prefer the wedge all the way down for a longer wave but I run it at 7/8 for my wife, she likes it a little steeper.  It is nice to have the adjustment of the power wedge. 

• 2 weeks later...

My recommendation is you skip the under seats bow bag and go directly to a triangle bow bag.  I was looking at those under the bow seats bag but I've been told they don't fill all the way and pop up the seats.  I went with the Sumo 650 bow triangle bag and would recommend it or the 900 FlyHigh bow bag.  I installed a separate reversible pump for the bow bag with a snap on fitting for quick removal and skipped the vent since I can see it filling/draining.  I can manually burp the air if needed by loosening the top plug.  Works fantastic!

• 2 months later...

I believe your 2006 shares the same hull as my 2004 (2004 was the first year of the redesign).  Here is a video of my wave with the following setup:

750 sac in each rear locker (above floor hard tanks removed).  

Front/mid MLS tank full (700 lbs which is a combo hard tank under the bow and walkway)

about 600 pounds of lead under the side seats, 50 in front of the drivers footwell, and 50 in the battery compartment

Wicked Wake Surf tab strapped onto the side of the swimstep.  This makes a huge difference.  

No wedge.

roughly 700 lbs of people in the boat. 

Balancing some more weight further forward definitely lengthens the surfable trough.  Otherwise it is just steep and short.  

Good luck!