Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Looking to Upgrade Our T22

BlknYlwT22

@Anderson24 did you have to modify anything for your z5 to fit on your boat? Apparently they stopped making the bimini for Axis in ‘15 and are claiming due to some differences in the tower the Bimini does not fit Axis any year after. 

2 hours ago, BlknYlwT22 said:

@Anderson24 did you have to modify anything for your z5 to fit on your boat? Apparently they stopped making the bimini for Axis in ‘15 and are claiming due to some differences in the tower the Bimini does not fit Axis any year after. 

Nope. In fact the 18’s are still shipping with the holes predrilled for the z5 Bimini (at least mine did). Installed it in about 3 minutes with the help of another person. It fit on my 15 perfect, and fits on the 18 perfect as well. 

• Like 2
  • 3 weeks later...

As the price of this build continues to inflate, I am beginning to wonder if there are any other options I should be considering. I may be exiled for asking but what is everyone's thoughts when comparing the Axis to Moomba or Supreme? I have even thought about looking at used '15 22 VLXs. There happens to be one that has caught my eye. 

Edited by BlknYlwT22
23 hours ago, That Guy said:

I went from a 15 T22 to a 17 Craz, no regrets.  And it’s for sale too! On onlyinboards for $63k obo...

Why are you selling so quickly?

9 minutes ago, BlknYlwT22 said:

Why are you selling so quickly?

s*** happens...wife got sick, was in and out of the hospital for 3 months and can’t work now. It’s been a long year and owning a boat isn’t a priority anymore. 

On 12/7/2017 at 10:49 PM, That Guy said:

s*** happens...wife got sick, was in and out of the hospital for 3 months and can’t work now. It’s been a long year and owning a boat isn’t a priority anymore. 

Very sorry to hear! Boats can always be replaced if the opportunity ever presents itself again. 

My wife and I did check out the Supreme S226 and S238 over the weekend. Nice boats! Like anything, there are things I like about Supreme and things I would miss about Axis. The true test is how the boat performs but is obviously hard to do that in the dead of winter. At this point I am being patient and not trying to rush. The Axis rebate ends next week but I am sure there will be another around the boat show. At this rate, just may hold off until next winter to order. That would give me all year to do some shopping.

Edited by BlknYlwT22
  • 2 weeks later...
On 12/11/2017 at 6:50 PM, BlknYlwT22 said:

My wife and I did check out the Supreme S226 and S238 over the weekend. Nice boats! Like anything, there are things I like about Supreme and things I would miss about Axis. The true test is how the boat performs but is obviously hard to do that in the dead of winter. At this point I am being patient and not trying to rush. The Axis rebate ends next week but I am sure there will be another around the boat show. At this rate, just may hold off until next winter to order. That would give me all year to do some shopping.

Surfed a 2016 238 st surfest in April and it was no doubt the worst performer regular or goofy

my wife quit her turn after 5 minutes and said no thsnks snd got back in the boat 

I know I have been all over the place on this one but I think I may have found a 2015 Malibu 22VLX that I am really interested in. I have posed a few questions below.

• Is there anything I should be leery of with that year? I know that is the first year of that hull as well as was the first year for the power wedge and dash (I think).
  • Would I regret going with the '15 22VLX over the '18 T22?
  • What is the bow ballast bag set up? Do you have to put it on top of the cushions or is this the first year the sacks are under the seats?

I would post pictures of the boat but I am always gun shy to do so. Planning to go look at it next Thursday. 

Am I the only one that dies inside a little bit when someone is trying to make a decision between Axis and Malibu? 

To me it just screams "I have no idea what I want" 

Admittedly my wife and I are the opposite extreme and will debate and over analyze any purchase over $20.

16 hours ago, BlknYlwT22 said:

I know I have been all over the place on this one but I think I may have found a 2015 Malibu 22VLX that I am really interested in. I have posed a few questions below.

• Is there anything I should be leery of with that year? I know that is the first year of that hull as well as was the first year for the power wedge and dash (I think).
  • Would I regret going with the '15 22VLX over the '18 T22?
  • What is the bow ballast bag set up? Do you have to put it on top of the cushions or is this the first year the sacks are under the seats?

I would post pictures of the boat but I am always gun shy to do so. Planning to go look at it next Thursday. 

I've looked at the '15 VLX's too, and really like that boat.  One thing I like is that it still has the GM block.  I don't know if you do your own oil changes and etc, but the GM ones are way cheaper to service at my dealer, and the Raptors sound like they're going to be 3 years and done?  The bow tank is built in on these, so you won't have room for a bow sack under seats, only on top of the cushions if you want to go that route.  15 was the first year of PW2.  I think the only "known" issues are potentially the dash that year as it was the first year of the new dash, but if you have the software updates or it isn't finicky I'd assume you'll be fine.  Love the look of the 22 VLX!  Good luck!

18 hours ago, vanamp said:

Am I the only one that dies inside a little bit when someone is trying to make a decision between Axis and Malibu? 

Admittedly my wife and I are the opposite extreme and will debate and over analyze any purchase over $20.

I guess I don't quite follow when I am comparing a used Malibu to a new Axis. Both are the roughly the same price. I have always preferred the look of Malibu over Axis but can't justify the difference in cost when new. 

What I really want is a '18 23 LSV...feeling generous this Christmas?

18 hours ago, vanamp said:

I think it is often a valid argument - certainly the styling and comforts of a used Bu with potentially unknown history vs new Axis with warranty is going to be a debate with many, especially now Axis has PW2.  I love Bu but most likely would go new Axis in that situation, especially now with 5 year warranties.

And I think plenty of us were on the hunt for a new Axis and then eventually justified the premium to go new Bu after being in both.  We have constantly seen on here that buyers are rarely able to stick to initial budgets (especially if fellow Crew members have a say).  

1 hour ago, BlknYlwT22 said:

I guess I don't quite follow when I am comparing a used Malibu to a new Axis. Both are the roughly the same price. I have always preferred the look of Malibu over Axis but can't justify the difference in cost when new. 

What I really want is a '18 23 LSV...feeling generous this Christmas?

To me it would be like trying to decide between a 2015 Porsche Cayenne and a 2018 Honda CRV.  

If my T22 shows up this spring with a Malibu command center I'd send it back.  I want a simple low maintenance boat.  The boat is just a tool to allow us to surf. I am actually really bummed that they went away from the standard (easy to find online and replace) rocker switches to the new setup. 

I just feel like the first step in boat shopping should be to decide if you want a budget boat or a luxury boat.  It's hard to get the best deal when comparing two dissimilar products.  

• Like 2
23 minutes ago, vanamp said:

To me it would be like trying to decide between a 2015 Porsche Cayenne and a 2018 Honda CRV.  

If my T22 shows up this spring with a Malibu command center I'd send it back.  I want a simple low maintenance boat.  The boat is just a tool to allow us to surf. I am actually really bummed that they went away from the standard (easy to find online and replace) rocker switches to the new setup. 

I just feel like the first step in boat shopping should be to decide if you want a budget boat or a luxury boat.  It's hard to get the best deal when comparing two dissimilar products.  

Agreed with the simplicity of Axis. I’m also sad they went away from the rocker switches. My dealer told me the rough cost of replacing one of the “squish pads” and I was shocked. I don’t remember the price he told me but I remember my jaw dropping while sitting in the A24 and squishing the buttons cause it felt cool. 

The simplicity is the reason we are going with a new Axis in the first place(no touch screens). We can’t afford a new Malibu so we have to “settle” with a new Axis. If we can decide on what we want... 

If you don’t mind having a somewhat bare bones boat(if you can call it bare bones) but with the newest technology then go with the Axis. 

If you want the Malibu bells and whistles and you want the Malibu name on the side then get the little older Malibu! Not to mention the other things that are nicer on the Malibu.

I believe both will be great boats. I would take either, that’s for sure! 

36 minutes ago, vanamp said:

I am actually really bummed that they went away from the standard (easy to find online and replace) rocker switches to the new setup. 

I was also disappointed. I liked the toggles on my '14.

• Like 3

Sorry, but the lines are starting to get blurred between axis and Malibu. Go check a few options on a new a24 and get it up to the high 80s low 90s and tell me you wouldn’t look at a Malibu for a “little” more. Or, since we are talking t22, not that much of a price jump to get a 21vlx or mlx.  The car reference is completely irrelevant, but since you went there. It would be comparing a Honda crv to an Acura rdx. I don’t think you can call a 70-80k axis a “budget boat”. 

1 hour ago, Pnwrider said:

Sorry, but the lines are starting to get blurred between axis and Malibu. Go check a few options on a new a24 and get it up to the high 80s low 90s and tell me you wouldn’t look at a Malibu for a “little” more. Or, since we are talking t22, not that much of a price jump to get a 21vlx or mlx.  The car reference is completely irrelevant, but since you went there. It would be comparing a Honda crv to an Acura rdx. I don’t think you can call a 70-80k axis a “budget boat”. 

"a little more" 

If you don't value the bells and whistles then paying for the bells and whistles is just burning money.

If burning through a budget without worrying about getting a good value in return is an option.... Well then why even look at Axis it should be Malibu all the way. 

My argument is simply figure out what features you value then find a boat that offers those features.  The best deal will be to hunt for a boat that offers all of the features you value and nothing more.  This may not be 100% possible so there will be some compromise. 

Like I said,  I'm obviously at the other end of the spectrum here. I drive a Hyundai elantra,  my tow rig is an '04 Ram 1500 and I'm buying an Axis.  I don't value the bells and whistles so I don't pay for them. 

25 minutes ago, vanamp said:

"a little more" 

If you don't value the bells and whistles then paying for the bells and whistles is just burning money.

If burning through a budget without worrying about getting a good value in return is an option.... Well then why even look at Axis it should be Malibu all the way. 

My argument is simply figure out what features you value then find a boat that offers those features.  The best deal will be to hunt for a boat that offers all of the features you value and nothing more.  This may not be 100% possible so there will be some compromise. 

Like I said,  I'm obviously at the other end of the spectrum here. I drive a Hyundai elantra,  my tow rig is an '04 Ram 1500 and I'm buying an Axis.  I don't value the bells and whistles so I don't pay for them. 

You have your own perceived value. Yours is not the same as op or mine, so to come in here and say you cringe when someone compares axis to Malibu is laughable. Maybe value to me is having a newer tow vehicle, so I have peace of mind when I haul my 100k toy and my family 6 hours on vacation. End of the day, do what works for you. OP (who used to own a Malibu) asked about a used Malibu vs a new axis on a (gasp) Malibu forum. Put your pitch fork down. 

1 hour ago, Pnwrider said:

You have your own perceived value. Yours is not the same as op or mine, so to come in here and say you cringe when someone compares axis to Malibu is laughable. Maybe value to me is having a newer tow vehicle, so I have peace of mind when I haul my 100k toy and my family 6 hours on vacation. End of the day, do what works for you. OP (who used to own a Malibu) asked about a used Malibu vs a new axis on a (gasp) Malibu forum. Put your pitch fork down. 

You keep missing my point.  I'm not saying anyone should put the same value on things as me.  What I'm Saying is when I see people try to compare two very different products it might be a clue they should  step back and think more about what their own precieved value of things actually is. 

This will lead to better questions about touchscreens vs switches. Pros and cons of wrap around windshield, hull differences ...etc.  More Specific topics that will actually help people get into their perfect boat. 

The axis most are comparing to Malibu are not truly “budget boats”.  By the time you add just sp2 or sp3 (my 14 year) and/or a Power wedge  and surf band( recent luxury/tech.) it’s not truly a budget boat just because it doesn’t have a maliview, 

love thise options but couldn’t afford even sp2 when I bought mine, still haven’t added it to my pre wired 14 tower cause boat maintenance and expenses and a very recent huge principle payment on a very small loan boat loan, though I snd wife want it bad(rather go snowboarding in my overall budget )

budget is really not possible in 22 ft or higher boats cause no one is going to buy one lightly appointed because of the Malibu comparison they are making 

in case any of you have never seen lightly appointed, see you at Lske Norris and I’ll show you one

Edited by granddaddy55

i love all this chat about "i want a simple boat that I can maintain...." who exactly is going to do their own work or try and replace parts on an axis / malibu that is covered bow to stern by a 5yr warranty.