Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

V-drive with Best ski wake

Jbru4

8 hours ago, Crad said:

I tried the cross-over route a couple times.  I'd suggest becoming a two boat family.  Keep the response, you know and I assume love it.  Buy a V-drive.  Once you have two boats, you won't go back.  Lets say your response is worth 15K-maybe 20K.  Buy a couple year old V-drive that has depreciated some, maybe a 2015 23 LSV.  Heck if you were thinking of a 100K GS20, there is plenty of NEW 2016 leftovers and 2017 isn't shaping up to be a great year in boat sales.  Just check the web, lots of inventory.  2018 are loading on truck NOW. 

Second this.

We came out of a 2002 23 lsv, it was pretty dang good for a large v drive. Preferred it to our friends moomba outback.  We then bought a 2011 vtx, and then a 2005 response lxi for better slalom wake. We will be a 2 boat family from now on. We have 4 kids, so our crowd gets bigger in the boat each summer, so currently looking to upgrade the VTX for a 25. I would suggest keeping the one you have now, and adding a second boat.

I have a 2016 vtx and a mate with a 2012 sport 200.  His boat is so much better to ski behind, softer wake and smaller.  That said his boat feel small all over compared to the vtx.  

Bummer about the gs as I was thinking of looking that direction also. Love my 07 Vlx diamond. With the added gates it does everything well but it is getting up there in hours. I'd like to see a side by side  Vlx and gs22. 3 sport boat is a must. 

• 4 years later...
On 8/28/2017 at 3:50 PM, UWSkier said:

So if you want to see some wakes from the older ski-V, here you go.  Not the best skiing, but gives you an idea.  This is with four people in the boat and 1/2 tank of fuel.

30 MPH, 15 off, 5'9" skinny female who can run the course at this speed/length.

https://goo.gl/photos/1QZruDwLuhLvvqEb8

34 MPH, 22 off, 6'3" skinny 63 year old who doesn't really hold his edge enough through the wakes.  This is the worst possible length on most boats, this one included.  Really need to hold your edge.

https://goo.gl/photos/teMrzZk3kNd5YHr26

34 MPH, 28 off, 6'5" fat guy (me).

https://goo.gl/photos/G7W2wD2RgJnWhxzv5

34 MPH, 32 off, same fat guy who apparently forgot how to make an on-side turn there at the end.

https://goo.gl/photos/D21DHRvztTHUExpv6

I've never noticed the starboard chine spray when skiing unless it's a strong strong headwind, but it's there in the video.  Think it's mostly due to 3 pax on the port side and only driver on starboard.

Bumping an old thread, would a 2002 21' LSV be pretty much identical to your boat? I found one for sale and if the ski wake looks like this I might be a buyer

56 minutes ago, asp13 said:

Bumping an old thread, would a 2002 21' LSV be pretty much identical to your boat? I found one for sale and if the ski wake looks like this I might be a buyer

Yep!

16 minutes ago, asp13 said:

Thank you sir! also, not all the videos appear, do you still have them?

Yeah, that album went away a while ago.  I still have those videos around somewhere though.

• Like 1

To tag on to this one quickly. I can without a doubt say that the 2002-2004 LSV (and a few others that are older like the 2001 Sunsetter VLX) is noticeably better for slalom vs the early year VTX (I had a 2013 VTX, and now have a 2004 LSV 21).  Working on tweaking the surf wave on the LSV. The VTX surfed really well with PNPs and a bit more lead up front (150 lbs) in addition to the bow tank. 

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
On 5/10/2022 at 5:11 PM, rakr said:

To tag on to this one quickly. I can without a doubt say that the 2002-2004 LSV (and a few others that are older like the 2001 Sunsetter VLX) is noticeably better for slalom vs the early year VTX (I had a 2013 VTX, and now have a 2004 LSV 21).  Working on tweaking the surf wave on the LSV. The VTX surfed really well with PNPs and a bit more lead up front (150 lbs) in addition to the bow tank. 

Out of curiosity, what line length and boat speed were you skiing both of those boats. My parents had a 96 Sunsetter VLX so wake hull version, and now I have the DD version of the VTX so somehow I've managed to ski similar but not exactly the popular cross over boats

@dfarhood 34 mph and 28 off, I don't believe there is a big difference in the wake whether it was from the rear of center pylon. I tried 22 which is pretty much right at the rooster tail, 32 was flatter, but a little too short for me. I also found that on my '13 VTX the wedge dragged. I adjusted it to the point where another 1 mm up and it would blow the fuse, it still dragged a little. I took the wedge off and it was kind of sad how much better the ski wake was. I tried different props, more weight in the bow, and the only thing that made a significant difference was removing the wedge.

My 04 Sunscape is noticeably better than than my VTX was without the wedge, the manual wedge doesn't seem to make a difference whether it is stowed or removed, so it will stay on.

I would have loved to have the FXI, but the boss didn't want the DD layout.

• 1 month later...
On 5/10/2022 at 7:11 PM, rakr said:

What length rope do you need to wakesurf behind this boat (assuming you have a tower)?  Kids are looking to surf behind our 2002 Sunscape 21 LSV with tower.

4 hours ago, Dmoney24 said:

What length rope do you need to wakesurf behind this boat (assuming you have a tower)?  Kids are looking to surf behind our 2002 Sunscape 21 LSV with tower.

we are just now trying this out with our kids too on an '04 Sunscape. I just tied a knot to shorten the rope but I am curious what the correct length is as well. I assume just a few feet right?

@Dmoney24 and @Tfitch03 I believe that @williemon is correct. I had a triangle handle rope, and stopped using that for several reasons. One being I watched a teammate in college put her arm through a handle jumping. it was terrible. I just bought one of these: https://tantrumtowropes.com/product/t-bar-wakesurf-handle/.

When I surf (although it has almost been exclusively foiling now...) I usually end up taking in 4-6' of rope to find the sweet spot. That spot will be different for almost every boat depending on weight, crew etc, as well as rider. I have 1100s in the rear, full ski locker bag, bow bag under the seats, and another 350 on top of the bow seats. wedge down. No tower. I feel like i still need more weight up front.

1 hour ago, rakr said:

@Dmoney24 and @Tfitch03 I believe that @williemon is correct. I had a triangle handle rope, and stopped using that for several reasons. One being I watched a teammate in college put her arm through a handle jumping. it was terrible. I just bought one of these: https://tantrumtowropes.com/product/t-bar-wakesurf-handle/.

When I surf (although it has almost been exclusively foiling now...) I usually end up taking in 4-6' of rope to find the sweet spot. That spot will be different for almost every boat depending on weight, crew etc, as well as rider. I have 1100s in the rear, full ski locker bag, bow bag under the seats, and another 350 on top of the bow seats. wedge down. No tower. I feel like i still need more weight up front.

Thanks!