Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Joined the soulcraft family today

isellacuras

I heard the channel island AM1 is a great fin but I'm wondering if it's worth the money to upgrade from the stock fins. You all riding in quad fin configuration?  Site says that's the "stock" configuration. 

On 8/10/2017 at 7:39 PM, jb 156 said:

I ride it as a twin, I like the board to feel loose. He shipped it with the rastas and two nubster fins for the rear fin boxes.

Also I paid a premium for the upgraded fins pretty sure the stock fins are either f4's or f3's

On 8/10/2017 at 6:39 PM, jb 156 said:

I ride it as a twin, I like the board to feel loose. He shipped it with the rastas and two nubster fins for the rear fin boxes.

Rastas are your best bet if you like looser and quick edge to edge.........but please update If you find better set up.

The am1s will be tighter but faster than the Rasta WCTs. The WCT is shorter but has a lot of surface area for a small fin. It breaks free very easily and has decent speed. 

3 hours ago, wakemitch said:

The am1s will be tighter but faster than the Rasta WCTs. The WCT is shorter but has a lot of surface area for a small fin. It breaks free very easily and has decent speed. 

Thanks Wakemitch, your input is always appreciated. Knowing my size and the board ordered, do you have a recommendation for me for a first set of fins?  My guess is I will want a fast fin moreso than one that breaks free easily (that's what the captain is for, for now, which I LOVE by the way). I hope to throw some 3's into my trick bag and I'm sooooooooooo close but this being a surfboard, I believe my primary focus at first will be shredding and trying to pop some little airs. I also hope to be able to lengthen my wave a little. I have a nice long wave for my smaller riders and I'm hoping to be able to ride that wave as opposed to the tall, steep, short wave I have had to ride in the past. Pretty sure there are different sizes of fins too. I didn't do a lot of research but I did look up the AM1's on google. Looks like there's quite a few options (i.e.: control, honeycomb, thermotech...) I am at a loss when I try to research.  If I ride in a 4 fin configuration, will all 4 fins be the same size? Should I start as a 4 fin or 2?  I think I saw a 5 fin set for sale somewhere.  Is something like that worth looking into to use just the 4 fins? I planned to talk to Jeff about fins when the board is done but as much as I can learn prior to delivery, the better.  

The SC1 is basically the Futures WCT fin template. If your looking to
>> play around I would suggest the F4 Black Stix, JJF Fin, and the Dave
>> Rasta fins.

That's straight from Jeff when I asked him about fin choice awhile ago. I wasn't able to get a chance to try any this season but next season I think I will sign up for finatic and try a bunch to see how they work.

16 minutes ago, nohlan4 said:

The SC1 is basically the Futures WCT fin template. If your looking to
>> play around I would suggest the F4 Black Stix, JJF Fin, and the Dave
>> Rasta fins.

That's straight from Jeff when I asked him about fin choice awhile ago. I wasn't able to get a chance to try any this season but next season I think I will sign up for finatic and try a bunch to see how they work.

Medium size?

35 minutes ago, isellacuras said:

Medium size?

I believe so yup. You would have to look at the total surface area of the fin and how you ride to really determine what will work good for you though.

As a bigger guy, you will like the speed of the AM1. The different materials determine response. A stiffer fin will be snappier and project you forward faster/more abruptly when you pump. 

I recommend TMF 1s in the back. A full quad set up like what ocean surfers use is too much for behind the boat. 

You will generally buy fins as a thruster set (3 fins) but you only use the side two. These are made for ocean surfboards which generally are thrusters. 

Here are the 3 sets I brought surfing last year after talking with Jeff and obsessive hours of online research.

The Blackstix material has the most give/flex for speed generation and I was also advised to look at the AM1s.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00OQEEZGQ/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The WCTs were highly recommended and are Honeycomb which has less flex than the Blackstix but more flex than the Thermotechs below.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007WVY3LC/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

These are the stiffest AM1s and much cheaper.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00SLRIARO/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

For the Nubsters I picked up the Von Sols from Chaos Surf Co.

http://chaossurfco.com/wakesurffins/von-sol-nubster-fins

So after researching I think I am going to try to get two sets of fins. One pair to keep the board tight and fast and the other set to ride loose. My goal is to get two sets that are dynamically different. This will hopefully allow me to see what I really like in a fin. I'd hate to spend a bunch of money on multiple fin sets only to find that they ride so similar that someone with my skill set can't tell the difference. My plan is to start with the AM1 and TMF 1 nubs. Undecided on the second set. 

• 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, isellacuras said:

Waiting for a surfboard is like a kid waiting on Christmas. This has been the longest two weeks EVER. 

Yeah mine came in last week. And weather has kept me off the water last weekend. And not looking good this weekend either with tropical storm Harvey coming in. 🤦🏻‍♂️ I think having it and not getting to put it in the water may be worse. At have to take it on the pool 😂😂😂

• Like 3

Ha, yall kill me! I got my voodoo in February, and literally logged my first real session on it last week!! I rode it back in April when the water was around 60, and was just too cold. Tried again with my wife pulling me, and it was her first pulling sesh of the summer, so she nearly ripped my arm off, and I only made a few runs.

3 hours ago, spikew919 said:

Yeah mine came in last week. And weather has kept me off the water last weekend. And not looking good this weekend either with tropical storm Harvey coming in. 🤦🏻‍♂️ I think having it and not getting to put it in the water may be worse. At have to take it on the pool 😂😂😂

How long did yours take?  I think I remember him saying 3-4 weeks but can't recall. Don't want to be that guy and call to ask how much longer. 

9 minutes ago, isellacuras said:

How long did yours take?  I think I remember him saying 3-4 weeks but can't recall. Don't want to be that guy and call to ask how much longer. 

Took 3 and a half weeks and that included the week ship time. 

IMG_3903.jpg

• Like 2
16 minutes ago, isellacuras said:

I am at 5 weeks tomorrow. Still has not shipped. I think he originally told me 3-5 weeks. This is with custom graphics.