Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Remove Stain from Vinyl

My mother-in-law came to visit this past weekend.  She bought a pair of cheap board shorts off Amazon and didn't prewash them before wearing them on the boat.  The black dye in the shorts transferred to the vinyl all over the boat.  I now have a bunch of purple smudges on the vinyl that Boat Bling Vinyl Sauce won't pull out.  We have tried a few other soft cleaners as well.  Short of the Magic Eraser, I'm out of ideas.  I REALLY don't want to use the eraser.  Looking to the brain trust for other ways to pull out a stubborn stain from dye transferred.  Thanks in advance.

1 minute ago, robbennett said:

From what it sounds like that dye probably is in there pretty deep. Really not sure how that would come out without using something harsh. 

I came here for good news....you aren't helping.  In all honesty, that is what I am expecting to hear; however, I REALLY don't want to.  My wife was ready to hit it with the eraser this weekend.  I talked her out of it for a little while.  I'm hoping the sun can fade them out so they aren't as noticeable, if we can't clean them off.

Jeremy, I heard that non-amonia windex works well and it isn't too harsh on the vinyl. Follow up with some condition sauce or 303 protectant.

I had sharpie marker get on my damn seat on saturday. I had written "Vinyl Sauce" on a blank spray bottle and filled it with Viny Sauce. Next thing I know, I set the bottle down and it's smudged on one of my damn seats. How ironic is that? Brandon told me to try windex with no amonia in it.

Magic eraser isn't the end of the world either, just go easy and condition after.

Edited by boardjnky4
  • 4 weeks later...

Might try some baking soda and water. Work it in with a toothbrush, its taken some stains out of some vinyl stuff around the house. Just be careful with it, its abrasive. 

Don't worry, just keep hitting it with your normal cleaner and let the sun work it out. Don't use anything too harsh.  I have found that the zcare cleaner (bakes sells it) has a little more bite than other cleaners I have used but it's still recommended by vinyl manufacturers.  

I had a vest get left on a seat of covered boat and a purple hyperlite logo was burned into my seat.  Regular cleaning and sun got rid of it in a few weeks.  If you get impatient and use some harsh the vinyl will stain easier in the future. 

On tougher stains I have used Totally Awesome from the dollar store.  This stuff is pretty harsh though so make sure you use a vinyl protectant after.  What that doesn't get the sun will get over time.  Just let it bake.