Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Time to cut ties with Malibu? 3rd and last 'Bu

ChainSetter

25 minutes ago, granddaddy55 said:

Malibu (maybe did but why not earlier) and the dealer did not step up.  They were embarrassed into it by a good sub contractor who was willing to lose business to be honest to the ultimate customer the boat owner .  He was working for dealer and not you so he put his business relationship at risk (not exactly since he may be best in area and each area doesn’t necessarily have more than 1 or 2 good fiberglass operations) snd you stated that dealer basically lied to you and hoped you didn’t read the work orders.

Or the sub didn't bother to correctly identify the root of the issue in the beginning and just did a patch job.

It's easy to throw stones.

24 minutes ago, 23LSVOwner said:

Or the sub didn't bother to correctly identify the root of the issue in the beginning and just did a patch job.

It's easy to throw stones.

Ok, assuming correct then why didn’t dealership stress the reason for the damage to the glass guy, glass guys believe in reinforcements to structure to glass over, that’s what they DO or they replace the support like the stringers and glass over them. Why if informed would this glass guy who obviously knew how to  correctly fix it the first time not put in the reinforcement .  To me this proves what I’m saying that dealer did not step up (in fact lied to purchaser that boat had a glass structural problem snd didn’t inform glass guy of reason for cracks) and Malibu obviously knew they had this problem or they never would have paid for it or said reinforcement was missing just on this boat but HULK’s  and IXFE’s post proves that notion wrong

so again why didn’t Malibu step up and admit problem, WHY?  to avoid having to do this to everyone’s boat

love my trouble free Axis after initial small bugs worked out but that doesn’t excuse putting up the “NO FRONT”, to avoid the cost of making it right.  Both Malibu and dealer did that 

why is it we expect the consumer to live with his stupidity but the dealer and manufacturer get the benefit of the doubt in all areas on them.  Customer doesn’t get that benefit of the doubt 

Edited by granddaddy55
5 minutes ago, granddaddy55 said:

Ok, assuming correct then why didn’t dealership stress the reason for the damage to the glass guy, glass guys believe in reinforcements to structure to glass over, that’s what they DO or they replace the support like the stringers and glass over them. Why if informed would this glass guy who obviously knew how to  correctly fix it the first time not put in the reinforcement .  To me this proves what I’m saying that dealer did not step up (in fact lied to purchaser that boat had a glass structural problem snd didn’t inform glass guy of reason for cracks) and Malibu obviously knew they had this problem or they never would have paid for it or said reinforcement was missing just on this boat but HULK’s  and IXFE’s post proves that notion wrong

so again why didn’t Malibu step up and admit problem, WHY?  to avoid having to do this to everyone’s boat

love my trouble free Axis after initial small bugs worked out but that doesn’t excuse putting up the “NO FRONT”, to avoid the cost of making it right.  Both Malibu and dealer did that 

You are assuming a lot. I'm not going to argue with you.

1 minute ago, 23LSVOwner said:

You are assuming a lot. I'm not going to argue with you.

You just did!  And there aren’t any assumptions , the post from owner about problem and resolution of problem and all in between by others and him prove what I’m saying , I’m just reading what’s in the thread and treating those postings as fact as I have no reason to doubt the poster or those who contributed to thread about the structural issue.  Don’t see you posting that what they are saying is untrue. 

Just now, granddaddy55 said:

You just did!  And there aren’t any assumptions , the post from owner about problem and resolution of problem and all in between by others and him prove what I’m saying , I’m just reading what’s in the thread and treating those postings as fact as I have no reason to doubt the poster or those who contributed to thread about the structural issue.  Don’t see you posting that what they are saying is untrue. 

There are always 3 sides to every story.

It seems like some live just to bash the manufacturer. This is with every brand.

Take that however you would like.

• Like 3
10 hours ago, Shillboat said:

Follow up on the follow up -  I spoke directly with the fiberglass guy the dealer uses.  He had not been made aware of how the crack originated without pulling anything or that I was concerned about a factory defect.  He came back out to asses the boat and discovered the fiberglass to be too thin (less than 1/4 inch) and some of the extra support was not lined up with the tower.  After he and the dealership spoke to Malibu, Malibu agreed to pay for the structural repair.  They adden a 1" thick 6' long piece of hardwood under the deck and fiberglassed around it. He also added fiberglass to the side wall for more support.   Feels solid now.   Very happy that Malibu owned their mistake and hopeful for the upcoming season. 

This sounds like they got a new employee (or vacation replacement) on the station that lays up the deck fiberglass.  Perhaps someone that had worked on boats without towers so was not accustomed to reinforcing that section.  In the auto business there would have been a thickness (or number of layers) spec for that but in boats perhaps they just depended on the employee's experience.  Perhaps you could share the build date so that anyone else who had a boat with approximately the same build date can check their tower area deck thickness.

On 3/8/2018 at 8:34 AM, minnmarker said:

This sounds like they got a new employee (or vacation replacement) on the station that lays up the deck fiberglass.  Perhaps someone that had worked on boats without towers so was not accustomed to reinforcing that section.  In the auto business there would have been a thickness (or number of layers) spec for that but in boats perhaps they just depended on the employee's experience.  Perhaps you could share the build date so that anyone else who had a boat with approximately the same build date can check their tower area deck thickness.

Do you know where I can find the Build Date?

Glad it's fixed.. I've been concerned on both my boats that it will crack at some point, I try to take it easy in chop, and def wouldn't do a double up in my boat. In general it must be ok across the board but with the huge tower weight and off balance I don't see how or why it's not beefed up a lot more., another issue on bus is that the seats are hung from the top deck in the back of the seat.. few large folks with weight towards rear of seats and the top deck will flex even more in chop.. this may also have beeen part of the issue to some degree.. 

I'm in no way bashing or complaining.. it's just something that has baffled me when you feel the weight and the forces on the tower and then you look at the fiberglass you wonder how it can hold it up but on the other hand fiberglass is some pretty tough stuff.. my only hope is that they go to 8 one piece top deck that can support the top wall on the inside as well all the way down to the floor and make the boat a lot stronger rather than just curling the top over and down and hanging things from it.. 

Edited by The Hulk
11 hours ago, Shillboat said:

Do you know where I can find the Build Date?

Call Malibu with your hull number and ask. They obviously know about your issue.

17 hours ago, minnmarker said:

Call Malibu with your hull number and ask. They obviously know about your issue.

The last four of the vin will tell you a lot.

4th from last (the letter) is the month built

A = Jan D = Apr G = Jul J = Oct
B = Feb E = May H = Aug K = Nov
C = Mar F = Jun I = Sep L = Dec

3rd from last is the year built

(7 = 2017; 8 = 2018)

2nd and last are the model year of the boat.

18 is 2018

16 hours ago, ChainSetter said:

My issues still haven't all been resolved. Malibu has tried to stand behind it to a point (with a ton of pressure from me...countless hours).  The local dealer is starting to cooperate but it hasn't been easy. Malibu sent new skins for my seats that separated and those are being put in this off season. 4 tore in 1 year of use at the seams.

I gave up on most of the small stuff i.e. tower paint flaking everywhere, screen freezes, interior gel issues. 

The biggest issue at the moment is that I do have almost 30 stress cracks around the rub rail (no impacts or scratches anywhere on the rail) Malibu says the rub rail screws weren't  counter sunk properly or the black gel was sprayed too thick.  There is also one 12" crack by the vdrive lockers.  Mailbu says they will fix it but who knows how long that will take in the shop not to mention what it's gonna look like eventually. Utter disaster this boat. 

What you see here is one dissatisfied owner hearing what others are experiencing and being more emboldened to complain in public.  Or he came 1st and then other poster. Who cares!

What would this site be without these negatives right next to the positives.  I feel real good about my pawn.  But if I would have spent rook or castle money or better yet bishop , king or the top queen I’d be dissatisfied.  It’s good you bishop king and queens have had other experiences.  Look at Hulk, he knows his anchor point is more than sub standard and very few love their boat as much as he does.

if I had a 25lsv that I felt I shouldn’t do double ups (not that I do them) , I’d be pissed and dissatisfied.  

As someone said the other day, the other sites are boring and lack activity.  

This site and the brand stand up well to the negatives.  

BUUUUUUUT, Having to beg, cajole, argue, convince, repeatedly politely ask to get satisfaction and with the advise from the satisfied customers how we’re supposed to use Honey and not vinegar to EVENTUALLY get satisfaction is total *******

Edited by Ronnie
Edited for profanity
ahopkins22LSV
9 minutes ago, carguy79ta said:

@ChainSetter dump it.  hopefully your dealer can have it fixed up to sell shortly.  then you can get into a different boat in time for the season to start. 

Sounds like his dealer is a significant part, if not all of his frustration. If (and I’m only shot if because it’s the internet and I haven’t seen the issues in person) his issues are as described, malibu would be stepping up to the plate imo. I’ve seen them step up for much more and much less. My point is I doubt he can just dump it that easily and I’d assume the dealer isn’t willing to wheel and deal on it for his troubles. I say this because he stated in his latest post that the dealer is “starting to corporate”. 

Edited by ahopkinsTXi
  • Like 2

This sounds like the experience I had with Tige and now I’m back with Malibu. All brands have issues it all comes down to dealer in my opinion. I said I’d never have another Tige but a new dealer has them here now and I feel like they will be a lot better for service. I was between Malibu and Tige this time but ended up going with the Malibu because I love there boats and the dealer is top notch. I feel like you invest in a dealer not a brand.

• Like 2
3 hours ago, DarkSide said:

Shawn, you know way more than me, but wouldn't there be some protection under magnuson-moss?  Just curious.  

Chainsetter, hopefully you get things resolved soon. 

I don’t think Shawn is saying he’s truly SOL (ie Malibu doesn’t have to honor the warranty). I think he’s only referring the OP’s claim that he’s going to go for protection (ie buy back) under the lemon law, which doesn’t apply to boats in Illinois. 

19 minutes ago, 23LSVOwner said:

OP, does this possibly have something to do with your gel cracks?

I am not sure this type of impact would cause 30 plus spider cracks around the rub rail.  My 2007 had probably 10 or more cracks all around screw holes in the rub rail, window and the stainless vents.  All fixed under warranty. 

Edited by Malibuzer
41 minutes ago, IXFE said:

And there it is... Nice find @23LSVOwner

Better hope Malibu doesn’t find that thread. 

Didn’t he say it was like 30 cracks all around the rubrail and a huge one in the back corner of a rear locker?

I mean, I could see that being the smoking gun if he had said “I have spider cracks around my tower bases”, or “cracks above the rubrail below the tower mounts”

48 minutes ago, IXFE said:

I dunno. I can barely keep everything in my own life straight much less this dude’s. I just know I’ve never seen even a single spider crack on any of my boats (not all Bu’s and not all quick flips). I’m not saying it can’t happen, it just seems like something is missing from the story. 

Then a post surfaces about HITTING A BRIDGE!!  That’s not exactly a normal, every day occurrence. I get it, accidents happen. But then a few months later the same guy who hits the bridge is experiencing spider cracks. It’s not hard for a reasonable person to think these two things might be linked. Hitting a bridge with the tower probably causes all kinds of stress to the boat. Kinda like a car accident; sometimes the damage isn’t immediately visible. At a minimum it smells kinda funny. No?

Spider cracks are not the norm on any modern wakeboat. Somehow an event or a series of events took place, whether before or after OP took deliver, that caused this result (have we seen pics yet?). I can totally picture a warranty guy at Malibu, even with the best of intentions, thinking the bridge collision might have contributed if not set the events in motions. That’s all I’m really saying here. 

That said, I do know what it feels like to be “over” a boat. The OP clearly feels that way. Suggest he gets it fixed then move on and make a new decision.

I have had spider cracks on all three of my Malibu's.  All on screw holes.  I have also seen the entire side of a Mastercraft cracked.  SO bad that they shipped the boat back to the factory and they fixed it.  Whole new hull.  Also an MB had terrible cracking and it was repaired.  It happens on all manufacturers.  Anyone who says they haven't seen a spider crack on a boat isn't looking to hard.