Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Time to cut ties with Malibu? 3rd and last 'Bu

ChainSetter

Has anyone had as many issues?  Do they ever get better?  I had an 02, 07, and now a 2015.  I bought it with 1 hour on the dash as a left over last Sept.  Assumed I knew what I was getting for 90K.  I had dash screens, gel coat spider cracks, wedge not working, tower paint flaking off, trailer LEDS out (got a 2016 Malibu trailer), rust beneath the lights they replaced, cover seams coming apart, gas struts, and now the vinyl is separating at the seams on 3 seats. It has 90 hours and has been in service less than half a season.  I can't imagine this thing will be in one piece in 5 or 6 years.  There are so many more issues they have never fixed.  Do people pay 90K for a boat and accept this?  Is this a lemon?

1 hour ago, ChainSetter said:

Is this a lemon?

Yep.  I have 5 watercraft with engines including a 2005 Malibu and you have more issues than I do.  Sorry Bro but you're the one in ??? that got the lemon.

Get as much fixed as you can on the warranty and move on...

• Like 1
1 hour ago, ChainSetter said:

Has anyone had as many issues?  Do they ever get better?  I had an 02, 07, and now a 2015.  I bought it with 1 hour on the dash as a left over last Sept.  Assumed I knew what I was getting for 90K.  I had dash screens, gel coat spider cracks, wedge not working, tower paint flaking off, trailer LEDS out (got a 2016 Malibu trailer), rust beneath the lights they replaced, cover seams coming apart, gas struts, and now the vinyl is separating at the seams on 3 seats. It has 90 hours and has been in service less than half a season.  I can't imagine this thing will be in one piece in 5 or 6 years.  There are so many more issues they have never fixed.  Do people pay 90K for a boat and accept this?  Is this a lemon?

Truely sorry about your issues! I think that some people just don't get the luck of the draw! I've owned 6 wakeboats, 5 of which were Malibus. Never have hade any issues,that couldn't be fixed in a day or two. I put close to a100 hrs a year on these boats. I have friends with Mastercrafts and other brands. They all have problems. It's a hand made product, so things always go wrong. Like people say, your dealer is the most important aspect of a boat purchase! Piss your dealer off, and you'll have a bad experience. Hell, I'd own a Mastercraft, if the dealer was closer and better.

My new 2016 VTX20 is more or less crap.  Amazing for $115k.  Soooooo many issues.  Talking with dealer now about how to handle, time for Malibu to get involved.

in first 45 hours.

fault center tank pump

faulty screen

faulty I/O card

stuck wedges

rear bilge pump bad

nav lights not working

center windscreen actually went under DS screen, 

both consel heater hoses are off

etc. etc

also have found at least 10-15 misc screws/washers/ caps in boat, under carpet, in and around seats, etc.  amazing!  Been to dealer min 7 times this summer.

my dealer if awesome however....saving grace for Malibu.

Edited by sy1616

Every manufacturer is going to have some issues.   The important thing is the severity, frequency, and how the dealer handles it.  I can relate as I was problem riddled as well.  

• Like 2

I had a lot of bumps in the road my first two years.  This season has been good, except for one seam that is failing in the upholstery, noticed it today.  I am at 325 hours.  My dealer has made the whole experience for me.  I'd buy another Malibu if I were in the market today, not because it is a Malibu, but because I would be buying from Tommy's.

My experience is their quality control is really poor and things should level out after the first year.  My M235 was a mess with issues for the first 20 hours and has been great since.  110 hours now.  I park near my 2014 Axis that is owned by someone else and looks like new and has had minimal issues since I helped fix most of them.  You have to work the bugs out and have a good dealer.  My buddy has 2016 G23 and had his boat down for 3 weeks for a blown engine.  Unfortunately most high tech wake boats have issues.  I made the mistake of upgrading every year assuming each boat was a lemon (A22, 23 Lsv, and now M235) work the bugs out for 2-3 years and if your still have a lemon then switch it up.  Just make sure you have a close reliable dealer (any brand) that can help you fix the problems.  

• Like 2

Honestly every boat has problems. I was at a surf comp this weekend and the taps system wasn't working on the brand new tige.    The brand new 23lsv on my lake was out for 2 weeks with electric problems. 

To me it's not the brand that matters it's the dealer.   My old local tige dealer who retired from the industry was amazing and the new one.... yeah not so much...    On the other hand, I would buy out of my area to get a good dealer. Or at least when buying tige or bu. 

I agree with giving it time and working kinks out.  I do 200 hours a year, and expect issues to be worked out by 100 hours.   If I am at 150 and it's still at the dealer every week.  Then there is a problem. 

It just baffles me to read these posts, as many of you know I usually sell my boats every two years with over 200 hours on them.  Every Malibu I have owned (2011,13,15,17) has had little to no issues, maybe 2-4 warranty claims on average over the two year period I own them.  My current 2017 LSV just hit 70 hours yesterday and it has been flawless other than 3 minor items I had taken care of at my 20 hr service.  We have been running it full tilt for surfing and wakeboarding.  As much as I cheer for this brand there is always room for improvement on QC, but wowza some of these posts.... just does not even come close to what I have experienced.  I am definitely not hand cuffed to this brand and would not be returning if I had as many problems as some people post on this forum.

To the OP I am sorry you have had so many issues, your best bet is to work with your dealer and get them resolved.  This is a good test for your dealer to see how they handle problems, they can also make or break the brand.

• Like 2

I can understand the frustration. Fman and I share the same dealer. They are fantastic and while he has had relatively minor issues with his last 3 boats, I on the other hand had some serious gremlins for the first 200+ hours. It was very frustrating but luckily for me my dealer handled it very well and I stayed positive and patient.  I have been somewhat problem free ever since. I did have two rear seat skins replaced just at the end of my warranty (filed the claim right at 3 years but didn't get the skins installed for another 6 months in the off season). The seats didn't match but that has to do with time and I understood that. Thing that's a bummer for me is the third seat in the rear is now doing the same thing. Hindsight I should have had all 3 replaced at the same time. The vinyl is something that really gets to me. My brother in law has a 93 Malibu with original vinyl and it is still intact. Getting a little tired now  but looks about like mine after 4 years. I'll admit, I have stopped being as anal as I was at the beginning of the my ownership. I still take care of it but I now alllow cheetoes and red wine if you like. I agree that they are not made like they used to be. I find it to be the same as with new cars. what makes them great (all the creature comforts and electronic gizmos) is also what makes them vulnerable. Whether you jump ship is your decision to make. No one can make that decision for you. You can stay patient and let them work out the bugs or you can jump ship and try out another brand and hope you have better luck. Good luck to you in whichever choice you make but be ready to deal with the consequences. 

• Like 2
21 hours ago, ChainSetter said:

I've tried to be patient... so many problems. Plus my local dealer didn't have a 2015 247 so I had to buy elsewhere and ship so getting warranty work is like pulling teeth. We have had so many repairs it's hard to think that replacement vinyl will be any better? Or tear when I'm just out of warranty. 

They identified an issue with the cutting process in the high traffic areas and corrected that. I suspect the new ones will be better unless you play trampoline on them.

My VLX is the first (and likely only) new boat we have ever bought.     We wanted new because we plan to keep it a long time, and I wanted to know how the boat was taken care of and maintained.    We just crossed 45 hours, and have had very few issues so far, none of which are sufficiently serious to get me to pull the boat off the water.   The most serious ones we have seen are: 1.  Coolant level drops over time.    It is is not a lot, but I have had to top it off several times so far.    2. Stereo drop outs at low volume.    I have the boat scheduled for the 50 hour service next week, they are going to diagnose, but the tech thinks it will be a warranty claim for a new black box.

While I want my "list" resolved, those plus a few other minor issues so far can be resolved at my convenience, and dont require me to make a special trip to the dealer.   I think that is a pretty good record, so I count myself fortunate so far.

• 2 months later...

I too have cracks in the gel coat around the tower.  I noticed there was a lot of flex in the fiberglass when I pulled down on the tower when I was shopping at the boat show and again right before I took delivery on my used 2014 with 49 hours.  The dealer denied repeatedly any fiberglass issues.  First rough water I babied the boat back to the marina.  When I got back - cracks around the tower.   Then I find out from reviewing the work orders from the dealer that the previous owner had the cracks repaired under warranty.   I have not discussed this yet with the dealer but will see them next wed.    

All summer long I have been dealing with engine codes revolving around fuel injection.   I also get a lot of powersurge messages with the surfgate.   This stuff is not rocket science.  We pay too much to not have these thing working better.  

• Like 1
9 hours ago, Shillboat said:

I too have cracks in the gel coat around the tower.  I noticed there was a lot of flex in the fiberglass when I pulled down on the tower when I was shopping at the boat show and again right before I took delivery on my used 2014 with 49 hours.  The dealer denied repeatedly any fiberglass issues.  First rough water I babied the boat back to the marina.  When I got back - cracks around the tower.   Then I find out from reviewing the work orders from the dealer that the previous owner had the cracks repaired under warranty.   I have not discussed this yet with the dealer but will see them next wed.   

Sounds like the dealers gel guy did a s***ty job. They should take it back to them and get it fixed right.

Seems to me all of the brands have a lot of issues and it comes down to the dealer & how the manufacturer supports the dealer.  For what these boats cost though you'd think the QC would be better.  

19 minutes ago, malibu2004 said:

Other than a massive blisters (jell coat) my 2004 VLX has been nothing but excellent. 

They dont make 'em like they used to. ;) The more bells and whistles that are added, the more components that are at risk to fail.

I think for the price that is paid for these boats, they should be darn near perfect. Maybe that's wishful thinking, but it's my opinion

• Like 3

Hand built/assembled boats. Goes back to the craftsmenship, the components, and/or both suck. Thankfully commercial aircraft aren't built like these boats. 

Edited by TexasA24
  • Like 2

First off I will never buy a brand new boat strictly because of the cost of these things. we are a skiing family and there is not enough of a noticeable difference between wakes at our level to justify a $100K Response. The boats I do buy are generally 10 years or older, this way I can pay cash and not have any debt over my head. of the boats that I have owned I tinker with them all and one thing I notice is the level of craftsmanship has definitely slide from late 90's. Left over nuts, bolts, washers, and stuff like this left behind panels, under seats and that sort of thing, electrical terminations or lack there of in some scenarios. I believe this all falls under the QC responsibilities, red flag it and have them fix it! But I also still struggle trying to figure out how these things can cost as much as they do..........maybe a bit naïve but........

3 hours ago, mackie12 said:

The boats I do buy are generally 10 years or older..........  Left over nuts, bolts, washers, and stuff like this left behind panels, under seats and that sort of thing, electrical terminations or lack there of in some scenarios. 

You're right.  Malibu's are junk these days.  Better stick to the late-90s models.

1 hour ago, Fffrank said:

You're right.  Malibu's are junk these days.  Better stick to the late-90s models.

I can't say they're junk, but after being on a few new ones there is nothing on them that justifies the cost.  I felt the MXZ was an Axis with a touch screen.