Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2015 Wakesetter VLX Price

gahvey

Hello everyone - My wife and I are looking to upgrade our boat (currently a 2003 Wakesetter VLX) to something newer.  We are looking at 2013 and up but after riding in a new one this weekend we think we are going to start with 2015 and up.

My question is there is a very large price difference out there for used ones.  I have a couple of them linked below (with about a $15k) spread in price.  I know that alot of the difference in price is features, but I honestly don't see much of a difference in features between these boats, and I don't know if I can negotiate down.  i know I have heard you can take about 15-20% off the price of a new boat but does that also work for these used ones that are at the dealer?

Any advice you can provide would be appreciated
http://www.onlyinboards.com/2015-Malibu-Wakesetter-22-VLX-Ebony-Vapor-for-sale-Excelsior-Minnesota-54109.aspx
http://www.onlyinboards.com/2015-Malibu-Wakesetter-22-VLX-for-sale-Excelsior-Minnesota-54110.aspx
http://www.onlyinboards.com/2015-Malibu-22-VLX-for-sale-Elkton-Maryland-55042.aspx

Thanks,
Jeff

May be wrong, but one thing I noticed when we were buying a boat was the price difference between MN boats and others, especially at MN Inboard. Those guys are great, and people want to buy from them. With that being said, they can get a higher price tag out of their boats. Bought our LSV-G4, flake, LS3 in December. It was up in Michigan and we didn't want to travel that far for it (live in Des Moines). MN Inboard had a similar one in specs, and they were asking 10k more, and said they would get it easily, and the Michigan one we bought was a great deal. MN Inboard said they couldn't come down on their price which is understandable. Just a little personal story/opinion FWIW

16 hours ago, ponderosasurf said:

May be wrong, but one thing I noticed when we were buying a boat was the price difference between MN boats and others, especially at MN Inboard. Those guys are great, and people want to buy from them. With that being said, they can get a higher price tag out of their boats. Bought our LSV-G4, flake, LS3 in December. It was up in Michigan and we didn't want to travel that far for it (live in Des Moines). MN Inboard had a similar one in specs, and they were asking 10k more, and said they would get it easily, and the Michigan one we bought was a great deal. MN Inboard said they couldn't come down on their price which is understandable. Just a little personal story/opinion FWIW

I have had the same experience w/ MN prices.

Did you buy from a private party or a MI dealer?

They look pretty similar. 

The one for 88k as more speakers on the tower, metal flake, heater, CS bimini and special mat (that is what I can see from the picture). It seems that it worth the 1k price difference with the Vapor Blue.

But the best will be probably to ask for the built s***, in order to compare the full specs and have a better idea about the specs.

Then you have to think which specs and color combo make more sense for you (taking in consideration price of each boat), and you will have done 50% of the way on your next purchase. The next 50% is convinced your wife this is the good boat for you :whistle:

Good chase !

Depending upon how firm these prices are, it might be worth a look at a 2016 if your budget allows?  We started out looking at 2015s and found very little wiggle room on the listed prices.  Maybe because it was at the end of the 2015 season and there was no huge rush to dump the 2015 stock?  In the end we were able to order a 2016 pretty much loaded for a few grand more!

16 hours ago, RedOwl said:

I have had the same experience w/ MN prices.

Did you buy from a private party or a MI dealer?

We ended up buying from a MI dealer

1 hour ago, ahopkinsTXi said:

The Minnesota market is huge, one of if not the biggest in the market. Thus the higher prices. 

That doesn't make sense to me. In my mind if you are moving larger volumes, you should be able to have lower prices. I guess they sell at higher prices purely because they can. 

ahopkins22LSV
Just now, Sixer said:

That doesn't make sense to me. In my mind if you are moving larger volumes, you should be able to have lower prices. I guess they sell at higher prices purely because they can. 

I didn't say it made sense, just how it is haha

• Like 2
5 minutes ago, Sixer said:

4 minutes ago, ahopkinsTXi said:

I didn't say it made sense, just how it is haha

Viking math...

• Like 1
30 minutes ago, Sixer said:

It does make sense - higher demand for used boats mean higher prices.  As a seller if you can easily sell a used one for 10% under new then why would you sell it for 20% under new?

1 hour ago, ahopkinsTXi said:

The Minnesota market is huge, one of if not the biggest in the market. Thus the higher prices. 

I found this to be true when I was shopping for my RLXI.  I found a couple out there, but the prices were pretty steep.

18 minutes ago, oldjeep said:

It does make sense - higher demand for used boats mean higher prices.  As a seller if you can easily sell a used one for 10% under new then why would you sell it for 20% under new?

Agreed, I didn't think about used boat sales and prices in all of this. I just thought if you lowered the prices on new boat sales a bit  that the number of sales would significantly increase. 

New, no tower speakers or sub, but pretty much everything else. Look up Missouri River marine on boattrader. Talk to Dave Birkholz in Greatfalls if your interested.

Whoops! 86k!

47 minutes ago, surfdude said:

Also, Montana has no sales tax

Stop trying to twist my arm. My wife is already mad at me for something I did but don't remember doing...

Edited by RedOwl

I would STRONGLY recommend not going thru MN inboard or any dealership for that much. There are some good deals on used stuff out there right now if you look. I would try hitting up clist as MN market is huge and you can dodge taxes that way LEGALLY. 6% on a 50k+ boat gets to be a decent chunk of change!

MN Inboard caters to you the not lift a finger crowd, thus they can get away with high way robbery on boat sales. Additionally, if people are going to pay the high prices and your in the business of sales why not charge it! 

2 hours ago, surfdude said:

Also, Montana has no sales tax

That's all fine and good until you register the boat in MN.  When you register it, the state of MN charges you taxes on the boat purchase price.  And if you bought it in a state where the tax rate is lower, MN makes you pay the difference to be at the Minnesota tax rate.  Trust me, I've been there.

1 hour ago, Suggy said:

My family is getting a '15 VLX demo.  It's loaded (450 engine and G4) but has 240 hrs and paid $93k.  Is this a fair price?

Options play a big role.  450 motor and G4 can easily add $6-8K which the one I quoted, from my dealer, doesn't have.  This is why so many boats on the market are priced so far apart.  I think the one I listed under $80k is a screaming deal and yours may be as well.  If it has the options your family wants and at a price you think is fair, then only you can make that decision.  To me, $93k seems high.  Yes it is a one year old boat but it also has 240 hours

3 hours ago, TC_2006_VLX said:

I would STRONGLY recommend not going thru MN inboard or any dealership for that much. There are some good deals on used stuff out there right now if you look. I would try hitting up clist as MN market is huge and you can dodge taxes that way LEGALLY. 6% on a 50k+ boat gets to be a decent chunk of change!

MN Inboard caters to you the not lift a finger crowd, thus they can get away with high way robbery on boat sales. Additionally, if people are going to pay the high prices and your in the business of sales why not charge it! 

Don't agree with that.

1) MN Inboard prices are pretty in line with any other local boats you will find in the state - I'd venture to guess that 75% or better of the Malibus on the MN CL are posted by them anyways ;)

2) You only pay sales tax if MN Inboard owns the boat - a lot if not most of the newer used boats they have seem to be consignment.  No tax on consignment boats because you are buying from the actual owner

Edited by oldjeep