Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

loan rates

Ifinallygota21v

52 minutes ago, KirkB said:

After a search, I see what you mean as far as screen issues.  Would suck to get out there for some fun and have the screen crap out and you can't fill tanks or ave the screen not registering the your commands.  Also started looking at Axis last night.  Had never considered them as an alternative but getting a brand new boat for what I was looking at paying for new is pretty appealing.  Not to mention everyone saying the build quality has improved so much.

A lot of people do like them don't get me wrong but for me I just want a well built boat with a great wake that works every time I use it. I think the Axis fits that bill and you can get a bigger boat for less cash! 

1 hour ago, KirkB said:

After a search, I see what you mean as far as screen issues.  Would suck to get out there for some fun and have the screen crap out and you can't fill tanks or ave the screen not registering the your commands.  Also started looking at Axis last night.  Had never considered them as an alternative but getting a brand new boat for what I was looking at paying for new is pretty appealing.  Not to mention everyone saying the build quality has improved so much.

Still a bid difference between an axis and Malibu after spending time last weekend crawling around an a24 and 25 lsv back to back. Keep in mind, people come here for issues/questions. You won't see threads for all the people who have had no issues with the touch screens, but know plenty have had problem free boats. 

• Like 2
32 minutes ago, Pnwrider said:

Still a bid difference between an axis and Malibu after spending time last weekend crawling around an a24 and 25 lsv back to back. Keep in mind, people come here for issues/questions. You won't see threads for all the people who have had no issues with the touch screens, but know plenty have had problem free boats. 

What he said ^^^.  Forums are full of issues (for all products and all brands).  I was reading on the Glock forum yesterday and it occurred to me that, just like this place, it was loaded with issues and complaints.  We're talking about GLOCK... the most efficient and reliable combat pistol on the planet!!  Even their forum isn't immune to the whining.  It's the nature of internet forums... 

As a counterpoint, consider my history with Malibu...  

2012 21 VLX

2013 21 VLX

2014 23 LSV

2015 23 LSV

2016 23 LSV

2017 25 LSV

Each boat with TWO screens.  That's 12 total Malibu screens and a grand total of ZERO hours missed on the water due to a screen issue.  

I'm not saying failures never happen.  Simply that there are tens of thousands of Malibu owners without screen issues that are underrepresented.  

• Like 3
4 minutes ago, IXFE said:

What he said ^^^.  Forums are full of issues (for all products and all brands).  I was reading on the Glock forum yesterday and it occurred to me that, just like this place, it was loaded with issues and complaints.  We're talking about GLOCK... the most efficient and reliable combat pistol on the planet!!  Even their forum isn't immune to the whining.  It's the nature of internet forums... 

As a counterpoint, consider my history with Malibu...  

2012 21 VLX

2013 21 VLX

2014 23 LSV

2015 23 LSV

2016 23 LSV

2017 25 LSV

Each boat with TWO screens.  That's 12 total Malibu screens and a grand total of ZERO hours missed on the water due to a screen issue.  

I'm not saying failures never happen.  Simply that there are tens of thousands of Malibu owners without screen issues that are underrepresented.  

As the saying goes... Piss off one person and he will till everyone. Make ten happy and you might get one good review.

On 2/12/2017 at 7:42 PM, jwl019 said:

USAA jumped up last month to 5.25% for 180 months, iirc it was 4.25% prior to the increase.

Well that might make me change my mind on a new purchase :( I got 3.99% from USAA on my current boat.

On 9/8/2017 at 8:11 AM, oldjeep said:

Not to mention that a lot of the screen issues are happening on boats that are more than 6 months old;)

Really???

Seems to me the majority of the bitching on this forum is about initial quality. 

• Like 3

Any other bad reviews on Essex?  I used them for my current loan and they're offering 3.99 right now.  Beats Good Sam's 4.89 by a good margin.  Can anyone vouch for Good Sam's loan process?  Such as how they fund everything?  My experience with Essex, not sure if this is normal as this is my first boat, but once I picked out what I wanted they wanted it inspected and a report was written on it.  Then they decided they didn't want to loan what I needed for the boat so I had to come up with more money down than what I was originally going to use.  On top of that they took forever to fund.  Luckily the seller was patient and wanted to get me in the boat so it all worked out but it was kinda stressful.  Was curious if this is typical.

I'm looking at boats out of state and if I need to go through all of that with other lenders as well I'm wondering if I should just stick to something closer.

1 hour ago, KirkB said:

Any other bad reviews on Essex?  I used them for my current loan and they're offering 3.99 right now.  Beats Good Sam's 4.89 by a good margin.  Can anyone vouch for Good Sam's loan process?  Such as how they fund everything?  My experience with Essex, not sure if this is normal as this is my first boat, but once I picked out what I wanted they wanted it inspected and a report was written on it.  Then they decided they didn't want to loan what I needed for the boat so I had to come up with more money down than what I was originally going to use.  On top of that they took forever to fund.  Luckily the seller was patient and wanted to get me in the boat so it all worked out but it was kinda stressful.  Was curious if this is typical.

I'm looking at boats out of state and if I need to go through all of that with other lenders as well I'm wondering if I should just stick to something closer.

I did mine through Trident funding & they required a 3rd party inspection as well.  Not sure when you bought but most don't like older boat loans & will make you put more down unless it's newer

4 hours ago, racer808 said:

I did mine through Trident funding & they required a 3rd party inspection as well.  Not sure when you bought but most don't like older boat loans & will make you put more down unless it's newer

I bought a 2007 VTX in 2014 so ya it was somewhat older.  They said they wanted to make sure they could recoup their money if I defaulted on the loan.

41 minutes ago, KirkB said:

I bought a 2007 VTX in 2014 so ya it was somewhat older.  They said they wanted to make sure they could recoup their money if I defaulted on the loan.

We gotta figure out where they sell these repos off.  All I hear from banks is how they end up selling for less than the loan amount.

45 minutes ago, racer808 said:

We gotta figure out where they sell these repos off.  All I hear from banks is how they end up selling for less than the loan amount.

Especially in this boat market.  How did Trident disperse funds?  I've heard of some people getting a check to make the purchase or only financing so much of the loan requiring more down payment.  I'm thinking my in state purchase was a pain, what kind of pain is it going to be if I'm looking out of state...Right now I'm looking at Good Sam although maybe Essex wouldn't be a bad play since I'm currently with them.

22 minutes ago, KirkB said:

Especially in this boat market.  How did Trident disperse funds?  I've heard of some people getting a check to make the purchase or only financing so much of the loan requiring more down payment.  I'm thinking my in state purchase was a pain, what kind of pain is it going to be if I'm looking out of state...Right now I'm looking at Good Sam although maybe Essex wouldn't be a bad play since I'm currently with them.

They wired it.  I went from Denver to Phoenix for my last two boats.  First was through my bank with a cashiers check & we met at one of the branches to verify funds & stuff.  Last one I mailed my deposit, had a cashiers check for my portion & they wired the rest.  It was actually very easy to deal with Trident.  The dealership made the process painful due to this stupid a** salesman that kept lying they didn't get the transfer cause he didn't want to drive to Gallup to meet me which was part of the deal, save me 8 hours both ways.  Then were some minor issues they never took care of but overall I loved the boat so what evs.  

I don't know how anyone can afford to fuel, maintain, and repair a boat if they have to make a boat payment or if they need a 20 year plan on it. I think I would have sold it the second summer if I had made payments on it all Winter without being able to use it.

But if I was going to finance part of it, I'd probably use a HELOC- low rate and deductible.

Don't have a house? You're buying a $100K toy before you get into a house? Really? Probably need to find a friend with a boat!

Can't enjoy the boat when you are old! Not everyone is ready to commit to living in the same location for long enough to buy a house at 25 either! 

11 hours ago, SomeYeahoo said:

I don't know how anyone can afford to fuel, maintain, and repair a boat if they have to make a boat payment or if they need a 20 year plan on it. I think I would have sold it the second summer if I had made payments on it all Winter without being able to use it.

But if I was going to finance part of it, I'd probably use a HELOC- low rate and deductible.

Don't have a house? You're buying a $100K toy before you get into a house? Really? Probably need to find a friend with a boat!

• Like 2