Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Piggy back system reviews

timelinex

Update. I used gobble system with 2 Y with my wake maker 600 sacs. It worked great! It filled hard tanks all the way full. While it filled hard tanks some water did go to sac but sac wasn't even 1/4 full by time hard tanks were full. Once hard tanks were full sacs started to fill and I didn't have to hit the button again or anything. No air lock. Sac filled nice and full. 

My wave has never looked better. 22 mxz with 600 sacs and a 500 sac in bow. Delta surf tab and wedge slammed at 12 Mph throws large wave. It planes pretty good with my stock prop too 

7 hours ago, gobble said:

I've probably filled and drained mine 30+ times now and adding those Y's has solved the problem. It works perfect every time.

Did you use hose clamps? Mine leak a little. Maybe I can wrench em down harder with flat head. 

Update from my project (2012 VLX):

I installed the stock wakemakers configuration on my starboard locker yesterday.  When I filled it up at the dock, I had the exact same issue (hard tank not filling).  Interestingly, I took the boat out anyway and as I started moving it must've broken the airlock with all the sloshing and the hard tank filled right up.  Although not ideal, that wouldn't be a big deal form me if it works consistently.  I'll install the port locker and take a few more test runs and let people know how that works.

Also, for those who are looking at doing it, I highly recommend this video:  

I completely agree with the need for the hole saw.  I don't know how you could install it without this guys approach.  I did find that a heat gun was the only way to work with the hoses/barbs though.  

I have a new problem. I'll fill the Sumo sacs full, like ballooning full, then will watch the water slowly drain from the vent line until the sacs are sort of full. I'd guess I lose at least 50 pounds of water out each vent line.

Is this normal where you have a vented sac? If so I might scrap the vents and install plugs in those holes, being careful not to overfill.

1 hour ago, gobble said:

I have a new problem. I'll fill the Sumo sacs full, like ballooning full, then will watch the water slowly drain from the vent line until the sacs are sort of full. I'd guess I lose at least 50 pounds of water out each vent line.

Is this normal where you have a vented sac? If so I might scrap the vents and install plugs in those holes, being careful not to overfill.

The pressure is going to want to go somewhere especially when you start driving and all the water gets slammmed to the back.  When they are full try plugging the vent with your finger and see if the water finds its way out through the drain  (that's what mine does).   If water comes out the drain then you will just have to live with it. If it holds the pressure and you really need that extra 50 lbs then plug the vent.  I forget to turn my pumps off too often to ever run without a vent.  Im not sure if pumps have enough power to burst a bag but would never like to find out. 

I've tried the vent line on both the front and back, same issue. I probably should have bought larger bags I guess. My old boat had no vent lines and I could always fill the 750's pretty full.

On August 17, 2016 at 11:00 AM, pedel said:

Update from my project (2012 VLX):

I installed the stock wakemakers configuration on my starboard locker yesterday.  When I filled it up at the dock, I had the exact same issue (hard tank not filling).  Interestingly, I took the boat out anyway and as I started moving it must've broken the airlock with all the sloshing and the hard tank filled right up.  Although not ideal, that wouldn't be a big deal form me if it works consistently.  I'll install the port locker and take a few more test runs and let people know how that works.

Also, for those who are looking at doing it, I highly recommend this video:  

I completely agree with the need for the hole saw.  I don't know how you could install it without this guys approach.  I did find that a heat gun was the only way to work with the hoses/barbs though.  

Yeah but he is using a fram oil filter 2:12

Final update on the project.  Both sides are installed and it is ALMOST a great system.  I definitely have issues with the hard tanks filling.  They eventually fill, but it just means I have to wait.  When the bags start draining out the vent I stop the pumps.  When I see on the screen that the hard tanks are full, I run them again to top off the bags.  It just is a bit more of a hassle, and leaves the first surfer or 2 with potentially less ballast.

If they can just fix this last issue it will be amazing.

I almost tried Gobble's Y solution....but I have the 800s so before I work on it again I'd want to know that it works.  Can't wait for WM to deliver a solution. 

I've had zero problems draining...that is fast and easy.  I really wouldn't bother with thinking about separate drain pumps. 

Hey pedel- the y's will work. WM got back to me on my issues with the system (exact same as yours) and said they have y's on a handful of boats now with no fill or drain issues. They sent me two y's, two caps, and some clamps.  I'd go that route if I were you. I changed mine over to that and no issues since. I have 1100lb bags too.  Easy!

Edited by mburk
  • Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

I've continued to have the problem with the hard tanks not filling.  Wakemakers just let me know that they were shipping the 'wye' fix for me.  I told them I have the 800's.  They said they've been testing it to make sure it works.  I'll update after I get them installed.

Final update...Wakemakers send me the 'wyes' and I finally installed them today.  It absolutely fixes the hard tank fill problem.  Thanks so much for the feedback and ideas on this.  Next up...FAE.

Follow up question....I have a couple of leftover 'wyes' and hose.  I'm considering adding a wye to allow the vent/overflow to connect to both of the outlets at the top of the bag (since I now have one free).  The bags fill so tight that I can't really tell if there's air in the side of the bag that isn't overflowing water.  Any thoughts?  Good/bad idea?

21 hours ago, pedel said:

Follow up question....I have a couple of leftover 'wyes' and hose.  I'm considering adding a wye to allow the vent/overflow to connect to both of the outlets at the top of the bag (since I now have one free).  The bags fill so tight that I can't really tell if there's air in the side of the bag that isn't overflowing water.  Any thoughts?  Good/bad idea?

I wouldn't think adding a second vent line would make a difference and in my opinion the less hoses back there the better. A question though, you say the bags "fill so tight", is that true say 10 minutes after filling? I can fill mine full and the water eventually drains to where I'd call them limp. I bet I lose 100 pounds of water on each side subsequent to filling them full.

I'm 99% sure I do. I need to take the time to troubleshoot it as I'm not even sure the water is draining from the vent vs. the drain line. My old boat, with separate bag and tank drain pumps, stayed full. Something is definitely going on.

• 2 weeks later...

I've been following this thread as I've been wanting to add to my stock ballast and toiling over reversible pumps vs a piggyback system.  My 2005 VLX stock ballast has 3/4" lines and 800gph pumps.  Does anyone with a similar setup have a decent ballpark of how long it takes to fill piggyback 250 hard tank plus a bag (750 - 900 or so)?  I'm assuming it'll be about double the time it takes to fill the stock 500 mid hard tank.

On a semi-related note, I haven't been able to find much on Wakemakers' 910lb rear LBS bags that they're now packaging with the piggyback system for my boat.  I'm considering those or the 850 sumo max bags (probably would get a package with the bow sac and use the pump for that).  Any fit comparisons or glowing recommendations for the Wakemakers bags? Thanks!!!

3 hours ago, Big_Moose_Wakesetter said:

I've been following this thread as I've been wanting to add to my stock ballast and toiling over reversible pumps vs a piggyback system.  My 2005 VLX stock ballast has 3/4" lines and 800gph pumps.  Does anyone with a similar setup have a decent ballpark of how long it takes to fill piggyback 250 hard tank plus a bag (750 - 900 or so)?  I'm assuming it'll be about double the time it takes to fill the stock 500 mid hard tank.

On a semi-related note, I haven't been able to find much on Wakemakers' 910lb rear LBS bags that they're now packaging with the piggyback system for my boat.  I'm considering those or the 850 sumo max bags (probably would get a package with the bow sac and use the pump for that).  Any fit comparisons or glowing recommendations for the Wakemakers bags? Thanks!!!

I just pulled my rear MLS hard tanks in my 04 and replaced with 1100s.  I knew they wouldn't fill completely but they do fill the compartment (which is the goal, right?)  I got my head so twisted up reading on here about reversible pumps being so much better than aerator pumps but in the end decided Step 1 was just installing the bags and using all factory lines and pumps.  I did add 1-way valves to my fill and vent lines to prevent any siphoning and to try and help create suction on the drain cycle.

Everything works fine but my fill times are SLOOOOW.  20+ minutes for a fill.  Since they drain significantly faster, I'm attributing this to the one way valves that I used.  I ordered the WakeMakers valves to put on my fill lines to hopefully eliminate the restrictions.  I'm never in much of a hurry but 20+ minutes is painful.  I'm expecting this to get cut to 10-12 with the new valves and that seems completely acceptable to me.  I did not order the tankbuster kits -- I assembled my own lines using Home Depot and Lowes parts.  I saved money (in my head) but had to make at least 5 trips to the store.  

Gobble. Instead of using just a Y can we use a Y with a directional valve so we could just fill up hard tank without filling bag at all for wakeboarding? Or will it not vent ? 

It wouldn't be a vent problem, but it would make the system much more of a hassle.  And, you don't really need to do it with the Y set up.  You can just set a preset for only the tanks to fill (for example, I'd set it to 90%).  Because unlike the standard WM set up which pumps everything through the top of the bag, this pumps into both the bag and tank.  But, it really doesn't start filling the bag until the hard tank is full.  If you set it to anything under 100% it will probably fill just the hard tank fine.  Any bit that gets into the bags will drain back into the hard tank anyway when the pumps stop running.  

I would definitely try it that way first unless you primarily run just the tanks.