Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

How To: Rebuild your starter

Great write up. You lost me at the disassembly though. I think i'd just get a new GM 5.7 starter at Autozone for $100 and call it a day. Looks pretty easy to swap out in your pics. I'm just to lazy to go through all that trouble taking it apart, soaking it in cleaner, lubing and re-assembling. I'd probably make it worse...If I ever did decide to rebuild one, I know where to go for step by step pics.

I would make one change to your write up. "Clean using your favorite solvent". There is a coating on the windings and some solvents can dissolve it causing a short if the starter is put into use. Ask me how I know this ?. Only the windings needs this precaution.

Otherwise great write up.

• Like 2

Nice write-up! Just curios, as was mentioned, what symptoms would make you decide to pull your starter and rebuild it versus buying a new one? Maybe check the planetary gears out first inside and just do a rebuild unless they are messed up?

My starter locked up maybe 8 years ago. I wanted to get back on the water and not wait to get one shipped in, so I pulled it, cleaned it out, used some naval jelly on some rust spots, put it back together and it is still working to this day. Cost was $0 because I already had the stuff on hand. Great write-up. I just winged it.

The number one reason that starters quit is that the brushes wear down and the loose carbon packs the commutator grooves. On a boat, the second reason is probably rust between the magnets and the armature.

In my case, it's a 1999 starter. The battery apparently just died from one start to the next. No sense changing the battery if the starter was partly to blame. No sense changing the starter if it doesn't have anything wrong.

And it makes sense to me to save money where I can. If I take it apart and discover something broken, I can always put it back together and go buy a new one.

• 6 years later...

@justgary Thank you for writing this up. Just did this last night after you linked it in another topic yesterday. My starter is occasionally sluggish and I've ruled out battery and connections. It did it pretty bad this week a few times on the water, almost wouldn't start...and then other times less than an hour later it cranked liked normal.

When I got in there it was the same story as yours - rust on the armature and slight carbon on the commutator. Also I noticed small surface cracks in the insulation on the windings of the armature. Nothing that looked deep enough to cause a short though. Could this be my problem?

BTW a deep well socket works for reseating the brushes if you don't have a PVC coupling.

9 hours ago, drh said:

@justgary Thank you for writing this up. Just did this last night after you linked it in another topic yesterday. My starter is occasionally sluggish and I've ruled out battery and connections. It did it pretty bad this week a few times on the water, almost wouldn't start...and then other times less than an hour later it cranked liked normal.

When I got in there it was the same story as yours - rust on the armature and slight carbon on the commutator. Also I noticed small surface cracks in the insulation on the windings of the armature. Nothing that looked deep enough to cause a short though. Could this be my problem?

BTW a deep well socket works for reseating the brushes if you don't have a PVC coupling.

I don't think small cracks are going to make any difference.  If the wires short together, you'll probably know.  The big thing is getting the gaps in the commutator clean and deep enough.

Good call on the deep well socket.

Does yours work better now?

@justgary Initial test when I put it back in the boat was good...seemed strong and fast. It was an intermittent problem so I guess time will tell if it's better.

It was interesting that when I bench tested it before reinstalling the starter would not disengage - just kept spinning. I had to energize only the solenoid a few times to get it retracting correctly. Then it worked fine. I didn't remove the solenoid or anything on the drive end of the starter so not sure what went wrong there.

5 hours ago, drh said:

@justgary Initial test when I put it back in the boat was good...seemed strong and fast. It was an intermittent problem so I guess time will tell if it's better.

It was interesting that when I bench tested it before reinstalling the starter would not disengage - just kept spinning. I had to energize only the solenoid a few times to get it retracting correctly. Then it worked fine. I didn't remove the solenoid or anything on the drive end of the starter so not sure what went wrong there.

The ring gear should help kick the bendix out when the motor starts.  Perhaps the solenoid spring is a little weak, or maybe a bit of oil would help.  If it works OK, leave it alone.

• 1 month later...

Circling back to this, one month after the rebuild my intermittent slow start problem is gone. Boat starts faster than ever, consistently. This project is worth tackling - even if you only get to step 8 which is as far as I went.