Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Who has the G4 tower?

ThinkinBu

The dxt brackets were designed for the older illusion cast towers. Probably not an ideal application for the G4. If you look at the bracket it just offsets the tower mounting location and speaker mounting location. Would work great installed vertically with tower mount above and speaker below. On G4 with bracket horizontal that is a fair amount of weight for the rev10 to be mounted offset when bouncing around during normal operating conditions. A similar bracket with an equal "wing" opposite the speaker mounting location (tower mount location centered) would probably be better to help distribute the load.

Do the Rev 10's only have lateral movement or can you also adjust up and down? Those speakers will be aiming down on the water when towing a rider and directed towards passengers ear drums in the back seat. I am sure there is an up and down adjustment, they just appear to be mounted level in the pic. Being 6'1", I am wondering how many times I would hit my head on the center speakers? Hopefully it would clear a taller person. Anyone my height tried walking under speakers on the G4?

They do look great, nice looking package up there.

Do the Rev 10's only have lateral movement or can you also adjust up and down? Those speakers will be aiming down on the water when towing a rider and directed towards passengers ear drums in the back seat. I am sure there is an up and down adjustment, they just appear to be mounted level in the pic. Being 6'1", I am wondering how many times I would hit my head on the center speakers? Hopefully it would clear a taller person. Anyone my height tried walking under speakers on the G4?

They do look great, nice looking package up there.

Trav, I can just barely walk under the Rev 8's mounted on my G4, but I'm only 5'10"... or should I say 5'11" with the afro!

20150111_153215_zpszvhgc9zu.jpg

lakers-flet.jpg

The G4 is growing on me, I am liking it much better than when first released. It would be a bummer to hit your head all the time on those speakers, I would have thought Malibu would have made it tall enough to accommodate at least someone 6' tall with out hitting there head on center pair of speakers. I guess the other option would be to just run one pair of speakers towards the outside and leave the center walkway under tower open.

The G4 is growing on me, I am liking it much better than when first released. It would be a bummer to hit your head all the time on those speakers, I would have thought Malibu would have made it tall enough to accommodate at least someone 6' tall with out hitting there head on center pair of speakers. I guess the other option would be to just run one pair of speakers towards the outside and leave the center walkway under tower open.

Well, the walkway is open. The speakers, even running four, are off to the sides.

15020203392_14ef03043b_b.jpg

Well, the walkway is open. The speakers, even running four, are off to the sides.

15020203392_14ef03043b_b.jpg

I am still calling those head bangers, if not walking, getting up out of a seat. At least at my height. Give me one full day on that boat and guarantee I hit my head at least once. It's no where near open as the G3 and the double mount. Looks cool, no doubt, just not real functional for taller people in the boat.

And the lack of adjustability up and down also needs to be addressed. Or maybe you can adjust up and down and I mistaken? They just look real tight against the tower. They will be aiming right towards the water when boat is on plane and right in people's ear drums sitting in the back seat. If you ever have experienced this it's no fun to be those people in the back seat with 4 speakers aiming directly at you.

They are basically in the same place as the speakers on the Alpha Z tower, so yeah people will hit their heads, but like you this tower has grown on me due tot he ability to easily wire it

They are basically in the same place as the speakers on the Alpha Z tower, so yeah people will hit their heads, but like you this tower has grown on me due tot he ability to easily wire it

Have you personally rewired one, CJAY?

I didn't think it was particularly easy.

Have you personally rewired one, CJAY?

I didn't think it was particularly easy.

No, but it looks better than blind feeding the G3. If it's no easier then I guess I'm back to square one not particularly liking the tower

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, tower is growing on me no doubt, and it is a first year production, they will fine tune these items and get it dialed in. I delt with hitting my head in my first boat (Supra), it was a major PIA all the time, I feel grateful to be under the G3 that I never have any head bonking incidents with. My oldest son who is also 6'1 appreciates it too! :) maybe I need to train my crew to work harder so I can just sit in the drivers seat all day!

I am still calling those head bangers, if not walking, getting up out of a seat. At least at my height. Give me one full day on that boat and guarantee I hit my head at least once. It's no where near open as the G3 and the double mount. Looks cool, no doubt, just not real functional for taller people in the boat.

And the lack of adjustability up and down also needs to be addressed. Or maybe you can adjust up and down and I mistaken? They just look real tight against the tower. They will be aiming right towards the water when boat is on plane and right in people's ear drums sitting in the back seat. If you ever have experienced this it's no fun to be those people in the back seat with 4 speakers aiming directly at you.

I agree, Travis. I was just addressing your comment about wishing they'd left the walk way open. They did, but I see your point about standing up from the seats.

The issue with making the tower any taller is that then it will never fold down and lock below the windshield... making it taller essentially makes it just like the G3... it would rest on the dash... and that defeats the whole purpose of the G4.

On the speaker placement... it's kind of funny how for years there have been complaints about the lower speaker locations on the Illusion and G3 towers. They blast your passengers is the usual complaint. To be clear that was a non issue for me too, but scores of people brought that up. Now there are complaints about putting them back up top. Malibu can't win! Is there a tower tall enough to hang Revs on and still have clearance for a 6'1" person and still fold below the windshield? Maybe, but I'm not sure who makes it.

Now, the point about aiming the speakers up a bit is valid. I'm not sure anybody has solved that on the G4 regardless of the mount they employ. My Rev 8's are bolted directly to the tower without a swivel mount mainly cuz I was trying to maximize clearance, but I am worried about them aiming down. I think the Supra tower has the same issue.

No, but it looks better than blind feeding the G3. If it's no easier then I guess I'm back to square one not particularly liking the tower

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's easy enough to open it up and see what's inside, but there's not as much room inside as you might think. There's a thread on this somewhere where I posted pics as well as the difficulty I found. That said, if your determined and willing to pull apart some factory stuff inside there it can be done. But the wiring channels in there are tight. Travis rewired his G3 tower in lightning speed so I'm not sure the G4 wins here.

There are other reasons to like it...

The reason I like the G4 is the ease of lowering and raising it. It's truly a 1 man job... no need to pre-load it in order to release the mechanism. And you don't have to mess with different hydrolic shocks to make it weightless (non of my G3's were ever perfectly balanced regardless of what shock I put in there). It just is that way always. The built in forward and down LED lights are cool too. Folds much lower, which is nice for guys like me who store in the garage. No heavy tower resting on the dash or remembering to put a towel down (one time I didn't and the G3 put a nice tear in the vinyl dash). And you can tow with it locked in the down position, if you're so inclined.

Another reason NOT to like it is no decent biminis available yet... just G3 biminis using retrofitted brackets. Boo!

Edited by IXFE

The Illusion was absolutely terrible, not sure if it is a fair comparison to a G3 (in all aspects of that tower). The illusion tower was lower than a G3, and speaker placement in corner much lower than a G3 and the Illusion speakers directly in front of people in the corner of the tower. Even Brian from Exile noted this to me when we were talking about sound towards passengers in the rear with the dual mount XM9's in the corner of the speaker. I guess you just need to go with what fits your boating requirements, head clearance is always top of my list when looking at towers more than likely because I had to deal with a lower tower hitting my head on speakers all the time.

Its ashamed they could not have made the G4 a little taller for some folks and accommodate the same folding height. To swivel those speakers up and down is going to require brackets that more than likely will lower the speaker height as well, but who knows, these engineer always seem to come up with some good ideas. Its kind of irrelevant for me anyway, I am old school G3 guy :biggrin: regardless the G4 is looking great, and those REV 10s look really nice on it.

It's easy enough to open it up and see what's inside, but there's not as much room inside as you might think. There's a thread on this somewhere where I posted pics as well as the difficulty I found. That said, if your determined and willing to pull apart some factory stuff inside there it can be done. But the wiring channels in there are tight. Travis rewired his G3 tower in lightning speed so I'm not sure the G4 wins here.

There are other reasons to like it...

The reason I like the G4 is the ease of lowering and raising it. It's truly a 1 man job... no need to pre-load it in order to release the mechanism. And you don't have to mess with different hydrolic shocks to make it weightless (non of my G3's were ever perfectly balanced regardless of what shock I put in there). It just is that way always. The built in forward and down LED lights are cool too. Folds much lower, which is nice for guys like me who store in the garage. No heavy tower resting on the dash or remembering to put a towel down (one time I didn't and the G3 put a nice tear in the vinyl dash). And you can tow with it locked in the down position, if you're so inclined.

Another reason NOT to like it is no decent biminis available yet... just G3 biminis using retrofitted brackets. Boo!

I could see those all being benefits for those that take their tower down often, I just don't. We used to store our VTX in the garage, but it barely left us room for one car. The VLX wouldn't allow that so we store it elsewhere. The built in lights are nice, the alpha z has had the same thing for years, and I always liked it on that tower, but it's lack of height was a huge minus with speakers on it. I just feel like PTM basically copied the alpha z tower n this one, and I'm not a huge fan of that tower.

I still don't get this whole "1 man job" thing. Raising and lowering a G3 is a one man, or tall child job.

Where the G3 rests seems to depend on the model, on a VTX it rests on top the steering wheel.

post-22501-0-61312400-1429110546_thumb.j

Edited by oldjeep

That would be way cool to be able to tow with tower folded. No bugs to clean off and would not hurt on fuel economy either. Wish the g3 could do this but not going to happen.

One note, for the first time my tower is now actually a one man job to lower and raise. With new heavy duty struts and quick release latches adjusted properly I can now easily raise and lower tower without the aid of a 2x4 like I had to do on prior boats.

I was a little concerned about how strong those latches would be with tower raised up, so far they have been rock solid with no problems.