Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

New project boat.... California Skier

NitrousBIG

good stuff and a heck of a first post

good on you for beating brain cancer and following that w some school and a job; hat-trick

VERY nice looking boat even if you don't consider it's age and even better w the mods you've touched so far

what year is the hull?

welcome to the crew

• Like 2

Great 1st post and welcome to TMC! You'll be a welcome addition to this site plus there is a host of knowledge on here to help you work through future issues (yes, you'll have them) with your boat.

Can't wait to see you carving behind it. Well done my friend!

Wow what a first post. Welcome to the crew!

Congratulations on beating cancer, now it is time for some fun in the sun carving behind you "new" bu'

ahopkins22LSV

Welcome and it is awesome to hear that you beat cancer! And then found a SWEET boat. That thing is pretty damn awesome and you have done some very nice work with it already. It is going to be a blast to drive!

That is one heck of a first post too!

Edited by ahopkinsTXi

Congratulations on the boat purchase and even more on beating cancer. Sweet looking boat, have fun getting it to pristine condition.

Noticing some non factory colors on the engine, I highly suggest you look over all the marine specific parts such as starter, alternator, carburetor, bilge pump to make sure they are marine spec and not just automotive parts that do not have spark arresting or anti fuel spilling components.

• Like 3
martinarcher

Awesome first post! Welcome to TheMalibuCrew! Congratulations are in order on beating cancer! That is awesome! :cheers:

Looks like an awesome boat as well! I love a good classic! :rockon: Keep us posted on the progress.

Welcome! Boat looks to be in super shape! Enjoy it and awesome news on being healthy and employed!

I bet that thing will have an awesome ski wake...or lack there-of...lol.

Welcome to the Crew. Great looking boat and post. Love seeing the older boats and a fellow direct drive owner. Looking forward to your progress.

My congratulations as well on beating cancer!

Sorry for not getting back to everyone I have been really busy with work and the boat. I have a some free time so here we go!

good stuff and a heck of a first post

good on you for beating brain cancer and following that w some school and a job; hat-trick

VERY nice looking boat even if you don't consider it's age and even better w the mods you've touched so far

what year is the hull?

welcome to the crew

The boat is a 93

Congratulations on the boat purchase and even more on beating cancer. Sweet looking boat, have fun getting it to pristine condition.

Noticing some non factory colors on the engine, I highly suggest you look over all the marine specific parts such as starter, alternator, carburetor, bilge pump to make sure they are marine spec and not just automotive parts that do not have spark arresting or anti fuel spilling components.

All of the engine parts are stock and marine specific...... so far it is going to get a Edelbrock Performer RPM intake and a Comp Cam next winter. At that point I want to pull the engine detail it then make the changes.

Nice boat. Whereabouts in BC are you from?

I am in Chilliwack, just 5-10 min drive from Cultus Lake.

Welcome! Boat looks to be in super shape! Enjoy it and awesome news on being healthy and employed!

I bet that thing will have an awesome ski wake...or lack there-of...lol.

It looks like it doesn't have a wake. Had it out a few time last summer and the wake looks really flat. The whole boat reminds me of the flat bottom drag boats I grew up with. Apparently the wake is also really soft, and has been described as cheating.

Welcome to the Crew!!

Awesome first post and hats off to you for beating the cancer beast!!

I LOVE your boat. I've been a fan of California Skier's for a while. Classic, sexy boat!

I have always liked the Centurion Barefoot Warrior with its low slung deck but I really don't want an outboard. The California Skier is the best of both worlds, low profile and an inboard V8.

Next.... My long weekend progress.

I've been working all long weekend, not all on the boat, and I have some new pics.

I started fixing the problem with the spring equalizer being seriously over rotated and addressing the ride height. I want to get the trailer as low as possible while retaining usability. Next year I plan to fine tune the ride height the get some 17" Torq Thrust wheels and chrome fenders. But for this year I just want it functional.

So this is the rusty mess I am starting with. One of the Brake Cylinders was leaking and went everywhere taking the paint with it.

IMG_20150328_1803551_zpshf5xhsgt.jpg

IMG_20150328_1803421_zpsueeecved.jpg

IMG_20150328_1803481_zpstzpfj7a4.jpg

IMG_20150406_2025521_zpsllfzmtch.jpg

Once I lifted everything the shackles rotated down. Normally, when loaded, the leafs are higher than the equalizer.

After getting the axles out and doing some measuring I found out that the two axles had different drops. Once I got rid of the plate on one axle the drop is perfect on both. But I have a feeling there is something else wrong. So I am going to measure everything on the trailer and then mock everything up to make sure its right. Then I am going to see how much to de-arch the springs to get the tire tucking a bit.

IMG_20150406_1456201_zpsd2iuciri.jpg

IMG_20150406_1456281_zpsxpnljk2t.jpg

IMG_20150406_1456361_zpssfgyxlgo.jpg

IMG_20150406_1456451_zps0olc6zqk.jpg

Brakes on the one axle look good. The brakes on the leaking cylinder are soaked on brake fluid. That axle is getting a full rebuild on both sides.

IMG_20150406_1456571_zpsrzv59dii.jpg

Everything filed and ready for paint. The axle is just going to get a little primer in that spot. Next year when I go the fenders I am going to sand blast the axles. The leafs are getting sandblasted by my students.

IMG_20150406_1508351_zpsnsnpla5v.jpg

IMG_20150406_1516271_zpsxzp7rodm.jpg

IMG_20150406_2025021_zpseaazgddy.jpg

IMG_20150406_2025081_zpsagnhuzd3.jpg

IMG_20150406_2025181_zpsktln8gpj.jpg

The seal on the inside of the inside was over pressurized because of the Bearing Buddies and left a groove on the race. I almost have it fixed with some emery paper. Thankfully I caught it when I did.

This is the fender and tire look I am going after. I would like to stretch the tires though and have the wheels poking from the fenders a tiny bit.

090808-000174_zpsj7f5t2n1.jpg

I am not going to do the dropped step pads. Just the fenders and tires. This set-up would look unreal on my trailer.

_20_zpsyjamhgnj.jpg

Last thing tonight I did a little more work on the swing away tongue. I also removed the winch. I have a draw bar like race boats have to keep the boat in place so I am going to try without the winch. I don't think I am going to miss it. Plus you shouldn't winch a boat up onto a trailer when you have carpet bunks.

IMG_20150406_1600581_zps7hfkvyhr.jpg

IMG_20150406_1601041_zpsvdsantyv.jpg

IMG_20150406_1601091_zps2avfrsc6.jpg

The jack is going back on.

IMG_20150406_1606061_zpsey6azfgn.jpg

IMG_20150406_1610111_zpsnkfvoo7h.jpg

Everything squared up.

IMG_20150406_1614471_zpsbhitahuo.jpg

IMG_20150406_1647021_zpsmrp643oa.jpg

IMG_20150406_1710241_zpsmbjbxlbj.jpg

IMG_20150406_1710421_zpss5pspkwb.jpg

IMG_20150406_1718271_zpsiy71igtk.jpg

IMG_20150406_1825031_zpsixmfnjsg.jpg

IMG_20150406_1857071_zps8a35lpge.jpg

IMG_20150406_1857111_zpsimu7ddkp.jpg

IMG_20150406_1906491_zpsdvc1isvq.jpg

IMG_20150406_1907051_zpsoayyrib3.jpg

At this point the sun started going down and it was getting cold so I ran inside. Next weekend I want to get the suspension mocked up and the hinge for the swing away welded in