Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Metalflake

Wake23LSV

Has anyone seen in person, black metalflake right next to the standard black gelcoat? I'm having a really hard time finalizing my colors. And how much flake is considered too much for your liking? I have one more week to get it right!

How much is too much? Any metal flake is too much ;) All depends on personal pref, to me they all look like 70's boats or bass boats - but I guess you don't have to worry about water spots as much with glitter all over the boat.

Edited by oldjeep
  • Like 2

Here's where I'm at with my colors, but I thought some black flake would be cool too, just don't know if the black hull right next to the black flake would clash color wise.

I had my mind set on the black flake at first after seeing thtrog's boat for sale! Love that boat!! The boss said she wanted charcoal though, so that's why the change. With black G4 too of course ;-)

post-18191-0-91777000-1411745796_thumb.p

Edited by Wake23LSV
  • Like 2

I understand people like flake or hate it, but it's always been a positive selling point for me. There is additional cost and it's more expensive to repair, I've found it much easier to maintain with the base clearcoat. I don't know what that means 10 years down the road, but just my experience.

I agree Wake23LSV, I've seen pictures of the two blacks next to each other but not in person and would be hesitant.

Here's where I'm at with my colors, but I thought some black flake would be cool too, just don't know if the black hull right next to the black flake would clash color wise.

I had my mind set on the black flake at first after seeing thtrog's boat for sale! Love that boat!! The boss said she wanted charcoal though, so that's why the change. With black G4 too of course ;-)

Really cool looking boat. Too bad the Raiders have pretty much commandeered that color scheme...ruining it for me forever.

I think I'll just leave it at that. I looked at the two color swatches at my dealer and they were definitely off looking together. Getting the side and hull together might be disastrous! I don't want a turd when it comes time for resale... Thanks guys, and DAI, that's a killer looking boat!

Really cool looking boat. Too bad the Raiders have pretty much commandeered that color scheme...ruining it for me forever.

Luckily I'm not that into football that it wrecks it for me, but ya I'm not a fan of the Raiders. Raiders are for thugs. OK, let the me bashing begin...

Luckily I'm not that into football that it wrecks it for me, but ya I'm not a fan of the Raiders. Raiders are for thugs. OK, let the me bashing begin...

Can't bash what I agree with. (Besides, silver with black stripes is the next paint job on my Chevelle :biggrin: )

Sitting at my dealer getting some error codes cleared and they have pretty close to your color scheme sitting on the showroom floor in a 15 23 LSV. Black metal flake looks sweet (photos don't do it justice.

20140926_112408_zpsf916cbf2.jpg

20140926_112348_zps6e9d3a4b.jpg

I like that. I'm worried that if I go that way that the black hull will clash. What do you think looking at it there in person?

Unfortunately the one here has a white hull and white front deck. FWIW, the white is the one thing I don't like on it. I think in the sun the metal flake will contrast nicely against the black hull, in the shade it will look like an all black boat. There is a shadow on one side of the showroom and the black metal flake looks like a flat black.

I think doing hull in black and then having black flake would probably work just fine. Mixing it on other panels I don't think would look good though.

The black flake looks like black with specks of grey in it indoors. Outdoors it sparkles and looks real good.

I agree with what others said on flake: It looks great and its actually easier to keep clean looking.

That black and charcoal flake look great. One of the same options I am considering for a boat in the future.

If you're flipping boats every year or two, not too big of a deal. If holding for 5-10 years, take into consideration your colors. Metal flake is big now, but like all trends, it will phase out again. You here people refer to boats as they remind them of old bass 70s boats. With the current trends, you'll here old 20 teens wakeboard boats.

The white is also Pearl Metal flake, hard to see in this pic.

Looks amazing in the Sun! IMHO, Metal Flake done right looks dead on! Just saying, biased of course..lol..

post-20239-0-92844700-1411757262_thumb.j

• Like 3

Obviously not a malibu, but there are 2 accent stripes of black metalflake hidden within standard black. It's kind of neat, you don't see the accent until the sun hits it. They even threw red flakes into the batch to matchPhoto+Aug+11,+11+36+45+AM.jpg

Edited by edgeski1

Metal flake is a personal decision but I personally like it. It hides the water spots and adds to the appearance IMO. If you are buying a new boat.....get what you want. Don't go crazy because one day you'll sell her and when you are ready to sell you don't want to wait 12 months.

• Like 1

I saw crystal red metal flake beside regal red on the same boat. The colors looked off. They weren't quite right. So it looked off. I would like to do the same as you, black hull and black flake on the side...and maybe crystal red accents. The problem I'm having is the same as you...will the black look odd next to each other?? I can't seem to find a boat done that way.

In the end, I'll probably just go straight ebony for the hull and sides as it'll reduce the cost. Lol

Edited by Sunscape fan