Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

247 lev set up

macdaddy

Need help crew.... Those who have a 247... How do you set up a surf wake. Right now I have one side of back ballast full... Middle tank full... 500 lbs of ballast on top of tank. Wedge down. I have another 5oo lb ballast bag. Where do I place it?? Thanks... Mac

I have an 07 ws 247. This was last years set up:

- all stock ballast full

- 750 in surf locker

- 750 surf side seat

- 400 (filled to 350) under surf side seat

- 400 in bow

All were extra ballast bags and filled with over the side aerator pump. Wake was good. Defiantly good ht and push but it was not as long as I want.

This year's set up (not water tested yet) as I only get boat this week ...

- all stock ballast full

-1100 rear locker surf side (plumed in with reversible pump)

- 750 up front (to be played with between walk way and bow) - I got a super sakr to make the extra bow bag a fast painless fill/empty.

Slightly less weight planned but I believe this will really lengthen the wake based in other threads on the forum.

This is what I got going at the moment...not very impressed!

Im running:

all factory full (no factory bow tank)

wedge down maybe up a couple clicks

2315 prop

1100 in port locker

400 on port bench

400 in bow

and about 300 ish pounds of people on port bench (so 1100 in locker and 700 on port bench)

speed anywhere from 12-13

Wave is pretty tall but VERY short and NO push. Any help would be appreciated. I would love to have BB's dong sack but I think he has a patent on that thing!!

Tn -- amp up your bow weight. Made a huge diff for me and I'm upping it again this year.

I have the factory tank (350) ... When I was only running that up front, the wake was super short. As soon as I added the additional 400, it felt like it more than doubled my sweet spot. And I did not find that running that extra weight in bow was any more of a challenge to drive.

This year I'm going to run a total of 1000 in the front instead of last years 750 total.

With the factory ballast of 250x2 + 1100 in rear (1600) that will give me a close to a 60-40 distribution ... Assuming the center tank is neutral (600)

I run no bow weight. It kills "push" if that what you wanna call it. Well maybe 80 lbs of lead on the surf side, but that's it beyond the stock tank being full.

Well there you go. He obviously has the right recipe! I still don't understand why I have no "push" though. Guess I'll try some more surf side weight. I have to work like hell to stay in the pocket!

I run no bow weight. It kills "push" if that what you wanna call it. Well maybe 80 lbs of lead on the surf side, but that's it beyond the stock tank being full.

I've found this true as well. Mine doesn't really perform well with any weight up there. Not much push or curl. Hey Bobby, what about your center tank (I consider it bow weight)?

I fill the center tank, front, dong 2.0 and both rears , non surf side 50-75%. 500 lbs of lead distributed 60/40 between the rear and the observers compartment.

I've found this true as well. Mine doesn't really perform well with any weight up there. Not much push or curl. Hey Bobby, what about your center tank (I consider it bow weight)?

Thais almost the opposite of what I find. Maybe it's me and the definition of push? Maybe I've never really ridden behind a "pushy" boat ...

When I load the nose up, the curl does fade but I still have more than enough forward momentum and feel like I don't have to work very hard to surf to generate forward momentum.

If I don't have bow weight I have such a short sweet zone that I can't do very much.

So weird that it kills push in the 247, the LSVs surf and wakeboard wake is sooo much better with bow weight, and so was my VTX. Firms up the wake all around

I think it has to do with the fact that you need a ton more weight in the rear for it to be beneficial and you just can't get enough in the rear to get there.

I remember a few posts by 06vlx/Bobby Light claiming he ran basically no weight in the bow in his 09 23LSV and I remember him having a sweet listed wave. They just had to run a little faster to get the length, like 14+mph. I wonder what happened to him and if he still runs a similar setup...?

He still has his LSV and I know that wave well. Spent many hours behind it. He still runs it the same way and so do I.

When you have spent full days messing with weighting a boat in a ton of different configurations and riding them , back, to back , to back you get a good feel for what you like and what you don't.

Not saying that our setup is the end all be all, but it's what works best for us and how we like to ride.

I run 1100 rear locker 370 under seat 2 400's on top of seat and factory ballast except for non Surfside. Wedge 2 clicks up speed11mph and wave is amazing. I have found that only the smaller boats need additional bow weight. This is regular side configuration

Edited by wheelman

Here's the funny part . Myself and few guys I ride with will all agree that the wave is better with LESS people in the boat. 3-4 max is ideal, Including the driver. As you pile on more peeps you think it would get better, but it doesn't for some reason.

• 1 year later...

I also have this problem I get the ******* wave and i have 08 247 lsv.

I have 1100 surf side + stock ballast full in center and both rears and wedge down.. 1 time i filled the bow and we got swamped and the engine cut off when i was circling back around to pick up a fallen rider... wont let that happen again.

Any tips on what else i should be doing to get a good wave? 

(specifics on what extra ballast i should buy would be awesome or if anybody else's bow rests this low to the water.)

http://imgur.com/HcIMHyN

HcIMHyN

Edited by Ronnie
Language not allowed in TOU's.
  • 2 months later...

I added a Delta wake gate with the suction cups this year... Huge improvement in the wake (bigger and cleaner). Hard to believe the one foot plastic attachment would have that much impact, but it really did. Particularly on the starboard side... Only problem is I surf regular and not goofy so looking to figure out to improve the port side.  Lastly, I don't have to tilt the boat to one side or another so easier to drive and no chance of swamping not to mention the time of swapping ballast?

Finally a couple of videos of my new wake.

2007 247, surfgate plus

full stock ballast (incl bow) ... Approx 1350

in the rear corners, 1100s filled to approx 950 each.

750 bag in bow.

750 bag in center of boat.

wedge half way, speed 12.1

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/9sjrqsf8t3pls0x/AADQcqdSRiwolGbvBudIIbFea?dl=0