Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Fresh Air Exhaust (FAE) opinions?

wakesetter8796

I know it cuts the noise down and the exhaust emission. Does it affect the surf, wakeboard, or ski wake? If so, how much? Does it affect top speed? If so, how much? What's your general opinion and consensus on it?

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm interested in this too.

I have heard that it doesn't affect anything but that is from the company so of course they will say that. I know some of the new nautiques have them installed from the factory.

• Like 1

I'm interested in this too.

I have heard that it doesn't affect anything but that is from the company so of course they will say that. I know some of the new nautiques have them installed from the factory.

Yeah my dealer has a G23 with it

My FAE decreased top speed by 2MPH at WOT. The ski wake in not affected by the device, although I do get more spray. The spray does not affect me at 28off, but I have not tried shorted line length. (I don't think the spray would be a problem at short lengths) At surf speed I do not notice any change in wake. We normally ski and surf so I cannot comment on the wakeboard wake. The device does noticeably decrease engine noise at idle and high speed. It also does a good job reducing exhaust smell while surfing. No more headache after surfing!!!

• Like 2

My FAE decreased top speed by 2MPH at WOT. The ski wake in not affected by the device, although I do get more spray. The spray does not affect me at 28off, but I have not tried shorted line length. (I don't think the spray would be a problem at short lengths) At surf speed I do not notice any change in wake. We normally ski and surf so I cannot comment on the wakeboard wake. The device does noticeably decrease engine noise at idle and high speed. It also does a good job reducing exhaust smell while surfing. No more headache after surfing!!!

Anything that increase spray makes me nervous :whistle:

• Like 1

What is it about the spray the worries you? Maybe I can clarify.

Just a reference to spray gate 2013 on my MXZ :innocent:

What about this loss of power some talk about?

Maybe shawn can chime in. He seemed very vocal about it.

Just a reference to spray gate 2013 on my MXZ :innocent:

What about this loss of power some talk about?

Maybe shawn can chime in. He seemed very vocal about it.

Spray gate it very little like at most may could hit your foot but even that would be very unlikely.

Power loss no way. Drag maybe a little. The power loss is just the fact that it sounds different. How it is angled if anything it would pull the exhaust out.

I also have a 2014 23 LSV coming and was talking tonight with our dealer about installing the FAE on our boat when it arrives. We ordered with the Monsoon 450 LS3 6.2 CAT closed cooling and we were told that the CAT would eliminate 90 percent of the carbon monoxide compared the the motors without. In that case is there still the same advantages as the motors without the CAT? Would adding the malibu silent tips help with the noise and exhaust similar to the FAE at this point or is it worth going with the FAE?

I also have a 2014 23 LSV coming and was talking tonight with our dealer about installing the FAE on our boat when it arrives. We ordered with the Monsoon 450 LS3 6.2 CAT closed cooling and we were told that the CAT would eliminate 90 percent of the carbon monoxide compared the the motors without. In that case is there still the same advantages as the motors without the CAT? Would adding the malibu silent tips help with the noise and exhaust similar to the FAE at this point or is it worth going with the FAE?

This is one of the write-ups I did on one of the links above.

So when I bought my boat it had the straight pipes out the back my buddy had the turn downs (AKA Malibu silent tips) his was about 20% quieter. So I bought the turn downs. Been reading up on the FAE and decided I want the boat much quieter and so round 3 long story short will put it on every boat I own. The boat is 100% quieter. We were surfing and talking in a normal tone at the same time. The only problem I see now is that the XM9s seem louder in the boat when turned up so the wakeboarder can hear. No fumes at all they weren't bad before but now I have none. Install was like 40 min after getting the turn downs off now that took about 2 hours. If you have the stock rubber flap style or straight pipes it will take you like 40 min total. FYI buy the T bolt clamps I did but it is a must. Power loss I don't think so yes, I could hear the boat motor better and knew it was under a load but thats just my 2 cents. If you are thinking about it do it worth every penny. When the wife says it was worth the money and she never says that about the boat than it must be a good buy.

I am thinking about it to dampen that drone you get when going slow. One of the little ones was out back today and the resonance was head throbbingly bad. Would also be nice to have a conversation also.

a nice feature i think though would be a bypass when you want to hear that V8 purring, like when going flat out across the lake putting the MC's and Nautiques in there place :)

A friend of mine has it on his and thought for sure it decreased his power. After seeing Bradley and other reviews, I decided to give it a go. But I am going to give it a very objective trial. I am first going to load up my boat and give it some 0-20 MPH times with ballast and some top speeds without ballast. Then I am going to install it and repeat to have some objective data. If it weren't 32 degrees today, I would be thinking about doing it tomorrow. :(

• Like 2

A friend of mine has it on his and thought for sure it decreased his power.  After seeing Bradley and other reviews, I decided to give it a go.  But I am going to give it a very objective trial.  I am first going to load up my boat and give it some 0-20 MPH times with ballast and some top speeds without ballast.  Then I am going to install it and repeat to have some objective data.  If it weren't 32 degrees today, I would be thinking about doing it tomorrow.  :(

What altitude are you at? Would that have something to do with it?

A friend of mine has it on his and thought for sure it decreased his power. After seeing Bradley and other reviews, I decided to give it a go. But I am going to give it a very objective trial. I am first going to load up my boat and give it some 0-20 MPH times with ballast and some top speeds without ballast. Then I am going to install it and repeat to have some objective data. If it weren't 32 degrees today, I would be thinking about doing it tomorrow. :(

I swore it made mine slower too. Then I took it off. No real change. Defective butt dyno on my part, I think.

• Like 1

Now as I said you will have a little drag so you may see a little change at FULL LOAD like surfing or major wake boarding but it will need to be if you are one of them guys that load the boat to the point people are running to the front to get on plain at that point the drag would make a little difference. Its not HP that makes the boat go 2 less MPH at top speed as some say its drag. But I do like the idea post the results.

• Like 1

very interested to hear this review

Now as I said you will have a little drag so you may see a little change at FULL LOAD like surfing or major wake boarding but it will need to be if you are one of them guys that load the boat to the point people are running to the front to get on plain at that point the drag would make a little difference. Its not HP that makes the boat go 2 less MPH at top speed as some say its drag. But I do like the idea post the results.

With that being said. Perhaps you should also make note of your RPM at different points unloaded and loaded, with and without the FAE.

• Like 1

What altitude are you at? Would that have something to do with it?

I am at 2700 feet. I think my friend is mistaken because what he did is put his on and then go to Lake Powell for the week. Lake Powell is at 3600 feet, and I think even that little altitude makes a difference. Then he is on his houseboat with 18 of his closest friends and his boat doesn't get on plane so well. Then he came home and immediately took it off and returned it, blaming the FAE for his woes. I had struggles to get on plane with a boatload of people at Powell as well...so I am inclined to think he misinterpreted the butt dyno results. That is why I am going to be sure to try and get some objective data.

• Like 1

TRR, I will add that my coworker who has an 06 247 with HH installed an FAE and said it totally dogged out his motor. Big power loss (like he had to pull tubes at wot, lol). I never saw his install because he pulled it right back off after one weekend.

I'm guessing altitude then, no one near sea level complains about this? Just speculating though. I can give up a little power for quietness. We have the 1235 and it's plenty.

Wakesetter. If you have the 1235 and it is more than enough power for your ballast set up, then go for it. And if you are a surfer, then it is a must IMO. IT is very quiet, especially at surf speeds. At wakeboarding speeds it is quieter, but you still have that wind noise. You can hear the stereo better and you hear the whine of the engine more too, which is cool.

If you do not regularly surf and you completely load up your boat for wakeboarding and are flirting with the inability to plane (by adding 1 or 2 people you can no longer plane…) then I would be weary of the FAE. I don't believe it reduces power, but it does create additional drag. I lost some top speed (no big deal) and lost the ability to get my current ballast set up on plane (very very big deal). I did not notice a bigger spray (at 80' back, who would?) but I did notice the the wake was steeper. It was considerably steeper, almost as drastic as going from no wedge wake, to wedge wake. I do not have a wedge so I cannot comment on the wake shape when used with the wedge, maybe there is no difference at all with both being used.

I took mine off, for now. I will put it back on again to try it again as I have changed props… I hope the wake does not change and that I can get on plane because I want to have the FAE on there, I just didn't like the wake and having to change ballast set up for it.

• 4 years later...

I just installed FAE on my '07 Response.  The installation was easy and the boat is SUPER quiet which was the primary reason for getting it.  I have tried everything else to quiet that boat down and nothing seemed to get it even close to my old Mastercraft.   

Surf and wakeboard speeds are great, but get it up to slalom speed and above and it makes a huge roost out the back that will make it hard for skiing if there's any kind of head-wind.  I reached out to FAE to get a solution and haven't heard back.  

As far as performance goes? I would say it's small give at TOP speed, maybe 2-3 mph.