Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

New Supra SC 450/550

Fman

Bu.c.c I admire your brand loyalty. I do realize this is a Malibu board and that is why I haven't gotten in to what I percieve as the best in the industry and I won't because I respect the members on this forum. I was here to ask a question and then I answered a question on warranty that was not posted correctly. .

You keep saying the warranty summary I posted is wrong, but Supra's own warranty states that the summary I posted is 100% accurate.

http://www.supraboats.com/library/Supra%20Warranty%202010.pdf

TERMS OF SUPRA LIMITED WARRANTY

During the applicable Warranty Period (as defined below), Skier’s Choice, Inc. (“Skier’s Choice” or the “Company”) warrants to the original

retail purchaser (the “First Owner”) that the components and parts manufactured by Skier’s Choice (the “Covered Components”) of

each new Supra boat are free from any defects in material and workmanship, under normal use and when operated and maintained

according to boat’s instructions (“Normal Use and Operation”).

This Limited Warranty applies to all Covered Components other than the deck, hull, floor and stringers for a period of one year (the

“One-Year Warranty Period”) from the original date of purchase by the First Owner (the “Original Purchase Date”). Exclusions do

apply.

This Limited Warranty applies to the deck, hull, floor (excluding carpet) and stringers for the lifetime of the boat (the “Lifetime

Warranty Period”). Exclusions do apply.

This Limited Warranty applies to the gel coat for a period of one year (the “One- Year Warranty Period”) from the original date of

purchase by the First Owner (the “Original Purchase Date”). Exclusions do apply.

Everything is 1-year, save for the deck/hull/stringer system which is lifetime (like all modern manufacturers), and the 3-year engine warranty though Indmar.

So:

Gel coat

Interior

Gauges

Audio/screens

Tower

All the most common problems these boats have. All 1 year.

It's pretty hard to take your comments seriously when you aren't even being honest about the facts being discussed.

Edited by Brett B
Brett, I went and pulled this off of the Supra website for the 2013 model line. It is a three year warranty.

© 2013 Skier’s Choice, Inc.

Taking care of our product after it becomes yours has always been “standard practice” at Skier’s Choice, Inc., the proud manufacturer of the

Supra water sport boats. As evidence of our continuing commitment, each Supra boat is covered by the manufacturers’ warranty.

Years 1-3 – Supra Limited Warranty for components

Lifetime – Supra Limited Warranty for fiberglass structure

Engine - Indmar Products Limited Warranty for the engine

Trailer - Boatmate Trailers Limited Warranty

For complete information, please refer to the individual policies. Exclusions and limitations apply. The Indmar program is described in

separate booklets.

TERMS OF SUPRA LIMITED WARRANTY

During the applicable Warranty Period (as defined below), Skier’s Choice, Inc. (“Skier’s Choice” or the “Company”) warrants to the original

retail purchaser (the “First Owner”) that the components and parts manufactured by Skier’s Choice (the “Covered Components”) of

each new Supra boat are free from any defects in material and workmanship, under normal use and when operated and maintained

according to boat’s instructions (“Normal Use and Operation”).

This Limited Warranty applies to all Covered Components other than the deck, hull, floor and stringers for a period of three years

(the “Three-Year Warranty Period”) from the original date of purchase by the First Owner (the “Original Purchase Date”). Exclusions

do apply.

This Limited Warranty applies to the deck, hull, floor (excluding carpet) and stringers for the lifetime of the boat (the “Lifetime

Warranty Period”). Exclusions do apply.

This Limited Warranty applies to the gel coat for a period of one year (the “One- Year Warranty Period”) from the original date of

purchase by the First Owner (the “Original Purchase Date”). Exclusions do apply.

This Supra Limited Warranty may be transferred to a second owner. The remaining duration of the Supra Limited Warranty from the

first owner’s original purchase date is transferable. A nominal warranty transfer fee and a dealer inspection are required. Boats that

are damaged or have been abused may not be eligible for the warranty transfer. Inspection and fee need to be completed within 14

days of the sale to a subsequent owner or the boat will not be eligible for the warranty to transfer.

Subject to the terms of this Limited Warranty, Skier’s Choice will repair or replace, at its sole option, any Covered Component which

is returned during the applicable Warranty Period to the Skier’s Choice factory or to any other Supra authorized repair facility (an

“Authorized Supra Facility”), provided that:

Only the Covered Components that are declared defective upon examination by Skier’s Choice will be repaired or replaced under

this Limited Warranty;

Transportation of the boat, parts or components to and from the Skier’s Choice factory or the Authorized Supra Facility must be

pre-paid by the owner;

Notice of any claim under this Limited Warranty must be provided to Skier’s Choice by the Authorized Supra Facility no later than

sixty (60) days after the owner becomes aware of the defect.

The boat was purchased at a dealership authorized by Skier’s Choice, Inc. to distribute the product in the country in which the sale

occurred.

Notification of a claim or defect must be properly made directly to an Authorized Supra Facility, who subsequently must submit the

claim information to Skier’s Choice at 1717 Henry G. Lane Street, Maryville, Tennessee 37801. Information needed for processing a claim

includes (1) Name and address of the owner; (2) Serial number of the boat; (3) Original retail purchase date; (4) Detailed explanation

of the defect; and (5) Estimated repair cost.

Can you post a link? I pulled the info straight from their website as well:

http://www.supraboats.com/protection.html

It is in the owners manual under the warranty section. That was from 2010. So you were correct previous to 2012 from what I see. Can my comments be taken seriously now?

http://www.supraboats.com/downloads/downloads/SupraOwners_2013.pdf

Edited by VH5150
  • Like 1

well VH5150, i take back MY comments about the warranty. I guess i was wrong. the others are on their own. :lol:

BTW, that is a very informative owners manual!! good job on that one SC.

Edited by bamabonners

well VH5150, i take back MY comments about the warranty. I guess i was wrong. the others are on their own. :lol:

BTW, that is a very informative owners manual!! good job on that one SC.

No problem. Thank you.

That weird windshield design on the Supra is not to my liking. The frame coming to a point looks like a good place to get a stiff jab to an arm or elbow. I wonder why they didn't take it on down to the top of the gunnel? Otherwise a sharp looking boat.

I thought that too when I was looking at it, then I sat in the driver seat. It's BOSS!

If the chiefs over at Supra would get a clue.....Malibu should and would be paying very close attention.

The new stuff from Supra is definetly impressive and up to par from even MY sensitive palet.

What they are doing wrong, IMO is not offering this machines at a slightly lower price point to gain market share, get the customer base and loyalty built up for few years that will then support the hefty price tags.

Tinker should swallow a bit of pride, and take a slightly smaller margin for a few years. Then the rewards on the back side would come 2016, 2017 when Supra could then be a true top teir competitor. I could honestly say price point would be the only factor keeping me out of a Supra if I was looking. Mailbu did this same thing in the early 2000's. Provided and exceptional product and at an exceptional value in relation to the others at the time. That's what lured me in.

I think the next 5 years will be interesting in this sport. Malibu still has Gasper. He's a sharp guy.....But it takes a team and most of the stuff they are working with now is the product the Malibu "Dream Team" was hawking 4-5 years ago with minor tweaks here and there.

I am waiting for the revolution, not the evolution as I think should unfold here in the next few years. I applaud the manufacturers for doing what they had to do to keep afloat during the recession, but as we come out of it , things are gonna change and they all have begun to price themselves away from the core groups that want, use, and sell these boats for them. I ride/hang with alot of wake boat riders/owners and the consensus is all the same. OVER PRICED.

• Like 4

If the chiefs over at Supra would get a clue.....Malibu should and would be paying very close attention.

The new stuff from Supra is definetly impressive and up to par from even MY sensitive palet.

What they are doing wrong, IMO is not offering this machines at a slightly lower price point to gain market share, get the customer base and loyalty built up for few years that will then support the hefty price tags.

Tinker should swallow a bit of pride, and take a slightly smaller margin for a few years. Then the rewards on the back side would come 2016, 2017 when Supra could then be a true top teir competitor. I could honestly say price point would be the only factor keeping me out of a Supra if I was looking. Mailbu did this same thing in the early 2000's. Provided and exceptional product and at an exceptional value in relation to the others at the time. That's what lured me in.

I think the next 5 years will be interesting in this sport. Malibu still has Gasper. He's a sharp guy.....But it takes a team and most of the stuff they are working with now is the product the Malibu "Dream Team" was hawking 4-5 years ago with minor tweaks here and there.

I am waiting for the revolution, not the evolution as I think should unfold here in the next few years. I applaud the manufacturers for doing what they had to do to keep afloat during the recession, but as we come out of it , things are gonna change and they all have begun to price themselves away from the core groups that want, use, and sell these boats for them. I ride/hang with alot of wake boat riders/owners and the consensus is all the same. OVER PRICED.

I would agree with most of your post. That being said I come from manufacturing, sales and marketing high end products in a specialized very high priced niche market. I would bet with the R and D cost Supra has into the new product line they do not have even close to the margins that Malibu has. Now with that being said I agree that they are going to have a slower start with the SA and SC lines because of the price and the fact they don't have a surf system.

who was the dream team at Malibu? Where are they now?

Malibu is definitely riding the high wave right now. I think several other brands are retooling to try and give them a run. It will be interesting to see how Malibu stays ahead.

MC is in the process of redoing their entire line. Supra is doing the same with both lines. Nautique did really well with the G series and looks to be redoing their SAN line. Tige is coming out of a redesign of their entire line. MB is on the upswing right now as well.

It is definitely a good time to be a consumer!!!

who was the dream team at Malibu? Where are they now?

Malibu is definitely riding the high wave right now. I think several other brands are retooling to try and give them a run. It will be interesting to see how Malibu stays ahead.

MC is in the process of redoing their entire line. Supra is doing the same with both lines. Nautique did really well with the G series and looks to be redoing their SAN line. Tige is coming out of a redesign of their entire line. MB is on the upswing right now as well.

It is definitely a good time to be a consumer!!!

I heard from my neighbor that a G21 was coming out.

A couple of weeks ago I met Shane as he came through town with the SC450. I had a chance to spend about an hour with him crawling around in the boat discussing features, design decisions, etc. I don't really think it's fair to say that it's a Malibu clone as some have insinuated. It's a very unique boat with many unique design cues and interior features. My favorite part is still the tower and bimini. Also, the boat now has quad racks! The dash is okay, but I like the Malibu dash better (as pictured earlier in this thread). You just cannot beat the Malibu layout, the fact that it's 100% wrapped in soft leather like vinyl, and the contrasting stitching. It's like a Porsche interior.

I think the way I'd sum up the SC is that's it's the same boat as the SA only with a shorter, traditional bow. Behind the windshield the layout is virtually identical (the SC is actually a couple of inches wider and deeper than the SA, but otherwise identical). Obviously the helm and tower are the same as the SA. So is the running surface so the wake will be similar as well (that's a good thing because I was super impressed with the SA wake when I tested it... firm and clean all the way down to 17mph).

My only complaints with the new Supras (and I shared this with Shane too) are:

1. No surf system - It's impossible to imagine that Skiers Choice will continue for much longer w/out a surf system of some sort. With all they are investing in R&D right now, there's no way they will leave this unaddressed. I don't know that from any reputable source, it's just logical.
  2. The price - I'm personally of the opinion that a Supra should not cost more than a Malibu. It can be close, but not more. Sorry. Supras just don't command the same resale value.

Here are few pics I snapped that night when Shane was in town. I wasn't able to demo the boat as my schedule was crazy that week (Q2 close), but Shane was kind enough to meet me at Bridgeport Shopping Center of all places (an outdoor mall where I happened to be wandering around that night with my family)... such a cool guy. You should have seen the looks on people's faces as he towed that boat in a loop around that place... lots of stares and dropped jaws. It was funny. We even got yelled at my the Mall Cop for parking illegally. :rofl:

20130712_192333_zpse55df676.jpg

20130712_192316_zpsa29eaecb.jpg

20130712_192320_zps2f98c974.jpg

look at the Bakes plate on the tower......that is interesting.........

Stillman was a key player in the overall design and interiors. Guess where he is now?

Malibu lost many of the key design contributors and some of the marketing team.

Ask anyone in the industry. 2007 was a peak year for Malibu.

look at the Bakes plate on the tower......that is interesting.........

It's a sticker. Boat was at Bakes, this picture was taken on the way back from Seattle area into Portland.

No I said the Gel Coat is one year the rest is 3 and lifetime on the hull. You can check it yourself by downloading the manual and looking under the warranty section in the manual.

I have to say this about Malibu warranty and my dealer here in Vancouver......it worked out to be fantastic. I bought my 2007 boat out of California in dec 2009, so the boat sat on the floor for assume 3 years. then I shipped it to canada........the local dealer and malibu looked after everything warranty related except one tower issue for 3 years. They even looked after a few saltwater issues........very very happy

the dealer I bought the boat from Etco marine......thats another store....but not part of this thread

Question, can MC, MB, Supra, etc actually use a surf system because of the Malibu and Nautique patents? Seems like you either have to put a gate out the side of boat or under, not sure there are any other options. Is this option completely locked up by Nautique and Malibu?

Question, can MC, MB, Supra, etc actually use a surf system because of the Malibu and Nautique patents? Seems like you either have to put a gate out the side of boat or under, not sure there are any other options. Is this option completely locked up by Nautique and Malibu?

depends on the economics I suppose, but there's no reason that either malibu or nautique couldn't license their patent to others. Happens all the time. There's certainly some good evidence that SG works on MB hulls:

There are definitely other ways to skin the surf cat. I think SG and NSS is just scratching the surface. I'd bet $$$$ other manufacturers are trying different things out right now. I'm excited to see the next gen surf systems.

I know Tige's convex vx uses different principles and physics and is simpler although I can't speak to the performance (yet at least, that'll be in about a month) and it obviously still requires listing.

And having collaborated on, written and submitted patent applications, there definitely can be ways to get around existing ones.

License agreements happen all the time. I believe that MC had the system in place first with the tabs but I don't know exactly what their patent covers. I have a friend that used to be one of the patent attorneys for Bell Labs and he has said that the patents today are getting very specific which leaves room for a slightly different technology to come on the market with out paying licensing fees.

License agreements happen all the time. I believe that MC had the system in place first with the tabs but I don't know exactly what their patent covers. I have a friend that used to be one of the patent attorneys for Bell Labs and he has said that the patents today are getting very specific which leaves room for a slightly different technology to come on the market with out paying licensing fees.

MCs tabs were fundamentally difefrent. they rolled the boat, were not delayed convergence technology.

MCs tabs were fundamentally difefrent. they rolled the boat, were not delayed convergence technology.

I agree, but it depends on what their patent encompassed and what the intent of their innovation was.

I would have thought Mastercraft would have some type of surf system released by now, its been about a year since surfgate was released. I know MB has no plans, toured there facility with a friend who was watching his boat being built a couple weeks ago and I asked about a surf system, there answer was "We don't think we need one."

From MC press release on hiring new VP:

MasterCraft, whose product strategy will deliver 2 to 3 new or refreshed boats per year, has already introduced the XStar, X10 and X46 in the last 14 months. And with plans to unveil its new ski boat in a few weeks followed by what can only be described as a jaw-dropping product announcement in the spring of 2014

Edited by skurfer

I would have thought Mastercraft would have some type of surf system released by now, its been about a year since surfgate was released. I know MB has no plans, toured there facility with a friend who was watching his boat being built a couple weeks ago and I asked about a surf system, there answer was "We don't think we need one."

I got a good chuckle out of this... reminds me of my very first conversation with Mike Brendel when I was boat shopping in 2009 and looking at the newly released TWB 21. It was at the Portland Boat Show, and I'd seen trim tabs on so many other boats, so naturally I asked Mike, "Why no trim tab on the TWB?" He looked at me with a smirk and said, "Because we don't need one." I was naive enough to buy that answer... but I soon learned that NO boat needs a trim tab more than than TWB 21. Fast forward 18 months... BOOM! The TWB has an optional trim tab. LOL!

Travis... the response you got from MB is par for the course down there.