Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

VLX Gas Tank Removal

Hi folks, hoping for some help here. I have an '03 VLX with a tracking fin loose. After some searches I've found that I need to remove much of the seat base to get the floor section out, lift out the tank, then can tighten the bolts. However I'm having trouble with access to the seat base screws that are under the fiberglass lined cooler. Anyone know how to get this all disassembled?

Thanks!

Steve

there are screws at the top of the cooler. undo them then with a lot of grunting you can slide the cooler back to the corner seat area and remove it. then you can get to the seat base screws. I am suprised to know you need to remove the seat bases. are you shure you have too?

there are screws at the top of the cooler. undo them then with a lot of grunting you can slide the cooler back to the corner seat area and remove it. then you can get to the seat base screws. I am suprised to know you need to remove the seat bases. are you shure you have too?

Yes I tried that, I can't get the cooler to budge. It's pretty wedged in there, but even if I can get it to move I don't think it'll slide back far enough to let me access the screws since the ballast tank would block it. I don't see how the cooler can come out without removing the seat backs and lifting it straight up. And yea, you need to remove the seat base in order to pull the tank out... the fin bolts are all under the gas tank.

Also if anyone knows the trick here and wants some extra good karma, give me a call at 303-919-0305. I'm trying to complete before family arrives tomorrow, so will be up late trying to get 'er done.

You don't need to remove the rear seats to get the center floor section out. There's a good video in this string:

Once you get the screws removed from the center floor panel, it took me about 20 min, and 4 large flathead screwdrivers to get pry the floor off. I also have a 2003 VLX.

Thanks for the reply. I can get the cover off no problem. The issue is to access the bolt heads for the fin, I need to remove the gas tank. Can't remove the tank with the seat base there since it horseshoes around v drive. I talked with a mechanic at my dealer today, he has no idea how to get the cooler out without taking the rear and side seat backs and more off. Since the fiberglass cooler is only used for shoes, instead I'm taking the Dremel to cut out a section so I can access the brackets/screws for the seat base. A little epoxy or silicon will fix it back up, and nobody will ever notice it but me. As luck would have it I filled up with petrol just before seeing the loose fin, so now have 30 gallons to siphon out.

Back in good shape... went the dremel route on the plastic cooler, the rest was pretty easy to get the tank pulled. Fins are back tight and resealed, hooked the fake a lake up to check fuel delivery and all looks good. Time to get back on the water!

• 3 months later...

Back in good shape... went the dremel route on the plastic cooler, the rest was pretty easy to get the tank pulled. Fins are back tight and resealed, hooked the fake a lake up to check fuel delivery and all looks good. Time to get back on the water!

I see you were able to pull your gas tank. What length is your boat? I have a 21 foot sunscape and the tank won't come out because the transmition is in the way and the front of the tank tucks under the floor board. There isn't enough room to slide the tank back far enough to get it out from under the floor board. Dealer told me the engine had to be pulled to get the tank out. Any thoughts?

• 7 years later...

So i have to pull the gas tank on my 2001 vlx for some unfortunate hull damage. I too realized that i need to pull the seat frame out to get the tank out. I am somewhat stuck at this point. I am having trouble getting the seat frame out. Im starting to think the previous owner did this at some point and took some shortcuts re-assembling the interior :(. That being said, i have removed the rear panel after some aggravation, but cannot seam to find a way to get the seat sub frame out. it appears to be all one piece (i am very close to making it into two pieces).

Can anyone give me some guidance? (P.S. I know she is filthy, just finished a camping trip... she will be getting a deep clean after the hull damage is repaired)

7JCs7FS.jpg