Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Wakesetter 23 LSV scratch build r/c boat

xx29l9

So I've had this idea running through my head for awhile. Why not build a 1:12 scale radio control model of our boat? I have a link below to the R/C boat group I am a member of where the build will be documented. It will take some time to finish this as life has plenty of things keeping me busy already. Look for some really cool things to go into this model to make it stand out!

Bob

model build link-

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1210959

You don't have to join anything to view the link. You will be a visitor.

So I've had this idea running through my head for awhile. Why not build a 1:12 scale radio control model of our boat? I have a link below to the R/C boat group I am a member of where the build will be documented. It will take some time to finish this as life has plenty of things keeping me busy already. Look for some really cool things to go into this model to make it stand out!

Bob

model build link-

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1210959

You don't have to join anything to view the link. You will be a visitor.

That is great! That is a lot of time and effort to put in! Keep posting the progress.

I've got a little crappy one that I bought from Walmart for $25....it comes close to matching my boat so it's pretty cool at the sandbar. Now a bigger one that can deliver beer....now we're talking!

The build looks really nice!!! Are you planning on going electric, gas or nitro? Keeping the V-Drive? what will you be using for the V-Transmission? What are you planning for the interior? Will you have a bilge since it will be an open boat?

I used to do a lot of nitro boats, but haven't had time for them lately. Maybe this winter I will get more involved with them now that I have my own house and a work area. Keep us updated.

I've got a little crappy one that I bought from Walmart for $25....it comes close to matching my boat so it's pretty cool at the sandbar. Now a bigger one that can deliver beer....now we're talking!

Yup, saw those in the stores a while back too. When my 2 boys saw it, they told me "dad, yours in going to be so much cooler". I hope so, that is the plan. I know a guy who is building a big drink deliver boat based on a 5 foot fiberglass tug hull. Should be pretty cool.

The build looks really nice!!! Are you planning on going electric, gas or nitro? Keeping the V-Drive? what will you be using for the V-Transmission? What are you planning for the interior? Will you have a bilge since it will be an open boat?

I used to do a lot of nitro boats, but haven't had time for them lately. Maybe this winter I will get more involved with them now that I have my own house and a work area. Keep us updated.

Boat will be electric. Depending on weight/ballast probably 2 7.2v batter packs in parallel. If it's on the real boat, it should be on the model is always my goal when I build these things. So planning for the v-drive has been a headache for me. I found some nice r/c truck gears that I will use and make a brass box with shafts to house them. Will be using a 1:1.5 gear reduction to start with. The main issue is the lack of room between the bottom of the hull and floor. Gear box needs to be pretty small. Boat will have a full scale interior with all the interior and gauge lights working. Another thing I have put a lot of time in designing and I think I can pull it off is a working scale stereo system. I found some really small speakers and will build the tower speakers and the others throughout the boat. I have an old ipod nano that I will try to run through a small amp to power them. Should be pretty cool, long ways off from getting that far....but the plans are in place. I will use the bilge area to try and squeeze all the motor/speed control, and other electronics into it. Motor will be water cooled with water dumping out the two exhaust pipes out the stern.

I built a nitro hydro years ago...that was fun, but I really like the ease of electric now.

Take care-

bob

I have that one too. And it'll deliver beer. Also comes in handy chasing ducks & geese too. :crazy:

I have that one too. And it'll deliver beer. Also comes in handy chasing ducks & geese too. :crazy:

We bought one as well and it was a POS. Never worked right.

• 3 weeks later...

Just thought I'd check on your project and see how it's going.

It's still going...slowly. I'm getting ready to plank the hull now. Spent a lot of time getting the hull lines and chines looking correct. Plan was to cover the hull in one piece of 1/16" ply but I could not get it to bend sharp enough for the hull lines. So of course it is taking much longer now. I wish I had more time to work on this, but life is full of stuff.

bob

link to latest build page-

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1210959&page=3

Edited by xx29l9
  • 1 year later...

Awesome project! I've got three RC boats. The Nitro ones are great, but if I were taking it on the Bu much I agree the cleanliness of electric is the way to fly. If you haven't tried brushless yet do it. They are amazing motors and run great. I fly electric airplanes and the brushless motors have totally changed the game in electric flight. I'm a Hacker brushless fan. Their motors are fantastic. We also have used them in a battlebot competition with our local Vo-tec. They are unreal.

Great looking project so far. Keep up the good work. I've wanted to take on the same project for a while and never did it.

Awesome project! I've got three RC boats. The Nitro ones are great, but if I were taking it on the Bu much I agree the cleanliness of electric is the way to fly. If you haven't tried brushless yet do it. They are amazing motors and run great. I fly electric airplanes and the brushless motors have totally changed the game in electric flight. I'm a Hacker brushless fan. Their motors are fantastic. We also have used them in a battlebot competition with our local Vo-tec. They are unreal.

I haven't used any brushless motors yet in my R/C stuff....but I'm looking at them for this project. Room under the rear cover is limited and a brushless motor can squeeze the same power out of a smaller size motor. That's a good thing. Also looking at Lipo batteries for the same space reasons. Just wish they didn't explode during charging so much...

Edited by xx29l9

Bob, they alread have your boat done....

6068836325_377d2d82b1_z.jpg

albeit runs about 2mph.......

yup....I've seen those around. Looks pretty good but runs terrible. I have some pretty big plans for this model. If it all works out it should be pretty cool stuff. If it's on the real boat...it needs to be in the model. Model will have all navigation and interior lights work, will have a 10 speaker + subwoofer stereo system for my ipod nano to plug into. After the boat I'll build the Extreme trailer to put it on while I pull it behind my Dodge RAM bodied Clodbuster truck. I'll be busy for awhile!

Thanks for looking.

bob

I haven't used any brushless motors yet in my R/C stuff....but I'm looking at them for this project. Room under the rear cover is limited and a brushless motor can squeeze the same power out of a smaller size motor. That's a good thing. Also looking at Lipo batteries for the same space reasons. Just wish they didn't explode during charging so much...

Don't worry too much about the Lipo batteries. There was a lot of noise about them being dangerous and explosive, but most of it traces back to users trying to charge them with the wrong chargers. If you charge a LiPo with a charger rated for LiPo batteries you'll be fine. I've got about 20 different LiPoly batteries and have never had any issues with fires or exploding batteries. The guys that are too cheap to buy a LiPoly charger and try to charge them with their existing NiMH or Nicad chargers are the ones writing stories about flaming batteries. LOL.gif

The biggest thing to remember is pick a pack that is capable of providing as much or more current than you motor/ESC combo will draw. Trying to draw too much current out of a pack can cause it to heat up and swell which will damage the pack.

Have fun!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Been awhile for an update-

Work continues on refining the hull. I think it is starting to look really nice. Currently working on the front docking lights and anything else that pokes through the hull. Once done with that it will be time to cover it in epoxy (no fiberglass), paint, and then clear coat. After that attention will start on the interior details.

Latest build update page is-

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1210959&page=8

You can go to an earlier page to see better views of the whole hull.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1210959&page=7

Bob

Edited by xx29l9
  • 11 months later...

Ok, been awhile since an update on this project. Yup, I'm still working on it. Yup, I'm still a really slow builder. The hull is about finished, turned out really nice. Now I'm just starting to build up the interior details and getting ready to put in the running gear that will get this tub up and moving. Latest details are here-

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1210959&page=10

You can go on previous pages to see anything you might have missed.

The goal is to at least have the model up and running by the time boating season hits, I know I won't have the model done....but I'd really like to be able t cruise it around when we anchor in a cove. Now back to work!!

Bob