Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2003 Response LXI

zad0030

2003 Response LXI  

54 members have voted

1. 1. Would you drive this boat on a busy lake?

• Not a chance!!
    • Yes, but I would be EXTREMELY cautious
    • I wouldn't go to a busy lake

Hi,

Right now im looking at buying a 2003 reponse LXI and I was wondering if there is any wood in the structure of the boat?

And if there is anything else you would like to add about the Response please let me know.

Thanks

Edited by zad0030

There is no wood in the boat anywhere. I find the view out the windshield distorting where it curves and the seat a tad low. Love mine, and it has been trouble free for 5 summers now.

There's a great big piece of wood in my boat every time I climb in - it just has that effect on me. Innocent.gif Other than that, there is no wood in the boat.

Seriously, the '03-'06 RLXi is one of the greatest boats on the water today. Lots of info on here if you search a bit. The only two negative issues of any real merit (IMHO) have to do with the windshield and the bow.

Windshield - some complain that the top of the w/s can interfere with the driver's forward vision. Also, on the passenger side, it was possible to hit your head on the w/s frame. They changed the design somewhat in '04 to reduce the likelihood (driver vision unchanged).

Bow - very low to the water, has a tendancy to act like a submarine. Just have to pay attention to your driving a little bit. It can actually be kind of a fun feature of the boat.

Neither of these issues are significant factors for our family. It is the perfect boat for our family - world class slalom wakes, and a ton of room to boot. There is just no other boat out there that strikes the same balance. And did I mention how great it looks? Lightsabre.gif

:)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
There's a great big piece of wood in my boat every time I climb in - it just has that effect on me. Innocent.gif Other than that, there is no wood in the boat.

What? That little thing? :lol:

There is no wood in the boat anywhere. I find the view out the windshield distorting where it curves and the seat a tad low. Love mine, and it has been trouble free for 5 summers now.

Seriously, the '03-'06 RLXi is one of the greatest boats on the water today. Lots of info on here if you search a bit. The only two negative issues of any real merit (IMHO) have to do with the windshield and the bow.

Windshield - some complain that the top of the w/s can interfere with the driver's forward vision. Also, on the passenger side, it was possible to hit your head on the w/s frame. They changed the design somewhat in '04 to reduce the likelihood (driver vision unchanged).

Bow - very low to the water, has a tendancy to act like a submarine. Just have to pay attention to your driving a little bit. It can actually be kind of a fun feature of the boat.

Neither of these issues are significant factors for our family. It is the perfect boat for our family - world class slalom wakes, and a ton of room to boot. There is just no other boat out there that strikes the same balance. And did I mention how great it looks? Lightsabre.gif

:)

Thanks for your replies,

As far as the windshield I dont think that will be too much of a problem for us.

We go to Lake of the Ozarks every year for a reuion. I dont know if you have ever been there, but its a pretty well populated and a very rough/choppy lake due to the numerous 30ft+ yachts. We will probably have the boat loaded to max capacity. How do you think this boat will handle the chop? Will I be ok once I get on plane. We are coming from a 2003 Tige 21i and it does ok, once were on plane its just a bumpy ride. But thats the only rough lake we go to and its only once a year and for one weekend. Any thoughts?

BTW, I do love the way it looks and I also love the Midnight blue! Rockon.gifRockon.gifRockon.gif

128_28051.jpg

What? That little thing? :lol:

Somehow I just knew you or Michael (or even Hank) were jur... er... I mean lurking out there, so I chose my words carefully. :)

We go to Lake of the Ozarks every year for a reuion. I dont know if you have ever been there, but its a pretty well populated and a very rough/choppy lake due to the numerous 30ft+ yachts. We will probably have the boat loaded to max capacity. How do you think this boat will handle the chop? Will I be ok once I get on plane. We are coming from a 2003 Tige 21i and it does ok, once were on plane its just a bumpy ride. But thats the only rough lake we go to and its only once a year and for one weekend. Any thoughts?

That color combo is really sweet! Thumbup.gif

Never been on Lake of the Ozarks, but lots of others on the site from around there that can comment from experience. Personally, I'd be a little leery of the rollers off a bunch of 30ft yachts running around, but I'm not sure that the RLXi is significantly different than any other 21' slalom boat in those conditions. If you've been able to manage in the Tige, I suspect you'd be able to do the same with the RLXi. You will definitely have to pay attention to the bow at low speeds when approaching one of those rollers. I'd imagine you'd have to move more towards a larger V-Drive if you really want to be comfortable in those conditions.

Probably the more important question for you is how will you use it the rest of the boating season? For me, I wouldn't want to compromise my choice in boats based of one weekend out of each season. If slalom is your thing, you absolutely cannot go wrong with that boat. It's all that and a bag of chips. But if you are only a recreational slalom skier, or if you like to board at all (insert subliminal Vomit.gif here :) ), you might consider (insert subliminal Vomit.gif here :) ) a V-Drive.

AAACK! Can't believe I would even suggest such a thing! :)

Edited by SunriseH2OSkier

Never been on Lake of the Ozarks, but lots of others on the site from around there that can comment from experience. Personally, I'd be a little leery of the rollers off a bunch of 30ft yachts running around, but I'm not sure that the RLXi is significantly different than any other 21' slalom boat in those conditions. If you've been able to manage in the Tige, I suspect you'd be able to do the same with the RLXi. You will definitely have to pay attention to the bow at low speeds when approaching one of those rollers. I'd imagine you'd have to move more towards a larger V-Drive if you really want to be comfortable in those conditions.

Probably the more important question for you is how will you use it the rest of the boating season? For me, I wouldn't want to compromise my choice in boats based of one weekend out of each season. If slalom is your thing, you absolutely cannot go wrong with that boat. It's all that and a bag of chips. But if you are only a recreational slalom skier, or if you like to board at all (insert subliminal Vomit.gif here :) ), you might consider (insert subliminal Vomit.gif here :) ) a V-Drive.

Yes, we are skiiers. We are upgrading in slalom performace to the LXI. We also barefoot and trick and occasionally wakeboard. So the V is not necassary....

Like you said we cant buy our boat based on one weekend. But then again we dont want our boat underwater. Biggrin.gif

The rest of the year we are at the white river lakes in Northern Arkansas the nearby Kaskaskia River or in the slalom course. So everything else is fine, its just that one weekend. I think we will manage, the hardest part willl be docking, because the dock is right off the main channel and it gets alot of waves. We usually wake up at 5 and take a small group out to ski.

I had my 03 on Traverse Bay in Northern Michigan. Not that I would do it on a regular basis, but we had a great day on the water. You just have to be aware of taking large rollers directly on the nose. But frankly, the 197s I ski behind are even more prone to water over the bow.

I have nothing but great things to say about my 03. Never a single problem. I've pulled several clinics with it, 8-10 hour days non-stop and it still looks like it rolled of the assembly line and I'm not that obsessive about the boat.

We thought of trading our 03 this past summer, but my wife complained so much we didn't do it. She didn't complain about the $$, she was bummed because she thinks it is the best looking boat on our lake. I think I agree!!!

I think there are some pictures of mine is the galley-Michigan Ski clinics.

Good luck you have a great looking boat there!

Rip

Our family goes to TableRock for a week every summer, very similar to the Ozarks. It's way different then the private lake that our boat run on most of the time and the first day is always an eye opener for us in regards to paying attention to what's out there- that's probably something we should be doing anyway. As Sunrise metnioned the bow is close to the water and if you are loaded up with gear and peeps the driver just has to pay attention. It's not a show stopper, just something to think about, we have a great time and the boat still handles great with everything and one on board. We end up slaloming the course with 4 peeps and gear on board and the wakes are still awesome!

I still get to this day, "That is the nicest looking (ski)boat on the lake" or "That is one sweet looking boat, it looks like it rides so nice."

I'm not far from Lake of the Ozarks. NO WAY in H will my Lxi ever see it. Boats that are larger than that have been swamped and sent to the bottom there. We usually travel through that area on our way to Tablerock, which, is much better suited for such a boat. You will not be safe in that boat on LOTO on a busy weekend.

Otherwise, she's a beautiful boat and I'm sure you will enjoy her! We flat out love ours.

As senor Sawyer mentioned, TRock and Lake O have little to nothing in common. There was a 29' go-fast boat that sank last year that was swamped while idling. The RLXi has no business on the at lake...except in the un-busy ends of the lake. Go where the crowds are and you're asking for trouble.

Lake O gets super rough from the 30', 40', and 50' boats. I've got a neighbor offing his 29' Sea Ray cruiser for a 35' because "it's too small" for the lake.

Think the lake gets this rough? It gets much worse....

post-99-1201485083_thumb.jpg

Lake O gets super rough from the 30', 40', and 50' boats. I've got a neighbor offing his 29' Sea Ray cruiser for a 35' because "it's too small" for the lake.

Oh believe me I know. We have been going down there for years, and each year theres more boats and more chop. The lake wouldn't be AS bad if it was seawalled creating "the bathtub effect"

We definately limit ourselves to when we go out and how many people come with us. The boat will primarly be used in the early morning during that weekend at Lake of the Ozarks. This is the only time we go to a rough lake and its only for a weekend...

Good news is that the RLXi will float when it's full

Correct me if Im wrong, But I was led to believe that newer boats are supposed to be built in such a way that they are still bouyant filled with water.

LO

That would be smooth water at LOTO. I wouldn't be afraid to use my Lxi on a "Busy" lake. The problem at LOTO is not only too many boats in too small an area, it's that most of those boats would be just as at home on the open sea. We're talking 5 foot rollers coming at you all day long from every direction. Combine that with the U boat nose of the Lxi and you got a recipe for disaster.

Busy doesn't even begin to describe it.

Barefooter's motto: Bones heal, chicks dig scars, pain is temporary and glory is forever.

This sounds familiar.....Maybe you should be called Shane Falco????Biggrin.gif

We have a lot of friends that go to LOTO and none of them go in anything under 33 ft. One of them has a 36 ft Baja and several people were afraid to be out in it due to it being rough. The 5 foot rollers are accurate and not an an overstatement. Also the big boats don't really care that you are in a small boat as some of them are trying to survive as well. Last year we were at Table Rock and a couple from St Louis had just purchased a 27 ft IO from the LOTO area and the reason the person sold it was that it was to small (this boat sat 4 ft out of the water). If you do put your boat on that lake make sure your insurance is paid up and you deductible is low.

Not knowing anything about the lake in question, I was just getting ready to say "should be fine, go for it". This post scares me. The lake we frequent out here gets busy in the summer afternoons, but nothing even close to what is described here. Perhaps at sunrise you'll be ok?

I was on LOTO last summer in my 23'XTI and on the weekend it was VERY DANGEROUS boating on the main channel. Somebody posted the big boats don't care about the little boats, 100% correct. On sat we tried getting out of the cove where the boat was and took a wave over the bow, made it through that, then a "rogue" roller came over the side and I had 6" of the water in the boat. We turned around scooped the water out of the boat and stayed in the cove for the day where it was pretty calm. If you can make it under the bridge and find a cove surrounded by the state park, it is great boating in those areas. The trick is getting there, however. During the week, you can ski right down the middle of the main channel because it so smooth. That was our first time there and I don't think we will be back. This summer we are going to try Table Rock instead.

Not knowing anything about the lake in question, I was just getting ready to say "should be fine, go for it". This post scares me. The lake we frequent out here gets busy in the summer afternoons, but nothing even close to what is described here. Perhaps at sunrise you'll be ok?

Early in the morning is perfect! The only people you will see are fishing boats. Later once the waverunners start getting out then your time is about up.

I was on LOTO last summer in my 23'XTI and on the weekend it was VERY DANGEROUS boating on the main channel. Somebody posted the big boats don't care about the little boats, 100% correct. On sat we tried getting out of the cove where the boat was and took a wave over the bow, made it through that, then a "rogue" roller came over the side and I had 6" of the water in the boat. We turned around scooped the water out of the boat and stayed in the cove for the day where it was pretty calm. If you can make it under the bridge and find a cove surrounded by the state park, it is great boating in those areas. The trick is getting there, however. During the week, you can ski right down the middle of the main channel because it so smooth. That was our first time there and I don't think we will be back. This summer we are going to try Table Rock instead.

Holiday weekends are by far the worst!!! Lucky for us we dont go on a holiday weekend but we still go on a weekend in prime time summer, usually late july early august. Friday is usually bad, Saturday is the worst, and Sunday it tends to calm down. There is really only one time we absolutely would HAVE to take the boat out during "rush hour" would be to go to dinner.

The absolute worst part of the lake is around the 20MM. We usually dont head this way, we stay at the 11MM. Last year we took a small group out on our 2003 Tige 21i to DogDays, AND WE GOT HAMMERED!!!! That was by far the roughest water I have ever been in. The other problem was becuase of the winter storm and high water level there was a lot of debris floating around. So that added to the chaos because not only are you navigating around boats, your navigating through the chop and watching for debris...

Well I thank those that voted in my poll. We are still deciding on the boat. There is some dispute in the family... Some want the bigger boat with the tower, and some want the slightly smaller boat with the nicer wake.

Nice boat ... I wish I could afford 2 boats.

Last year I was in a 23' Cobalt the week before 4th of July on LOTO and there's no way I would take the LXi in the main part of the lake ... and you are talking fully loaded! Skiing in the coves/arms would be fine as long as you pay attention. and do it when fairly calm.

Just my 2 cents.

Yes, we are skiiers. We are upgrading in slalom performace to the LXI. We also barefoot and trick and occasionally wakeboard. So the V is not necassary....

Like you said we cant buy our boat based on one weekend. But then again we dont want our boat underwater. Biggrin.gif

The rest of the year we are at the white river lakes in Northern Arkansas the nearby Kaskaskia River or in the slalom course. So everything else is fine, its just that one weekend. I think we will manage, the hardest part willl be docking, because the dock is right off the main channel and it gets alot of waves. We usually wake up at 5 and take a small group out to ski.

If the bolded statement is correct, your avatar is inappropriate. No.gifStarwars.gif

Edited by jjackkrash