Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Malibu Troubleshooting 101

11 minutes ago, blk93jeepzj said:

Labor Day Weekend, I was spinning around to pick up a downed rider.  

Boat was in neutral and rear end was coming around to straiten up and head back to the rider.  Hit a standing tree that has been int the lake since it was flooded in 1958 sitting in 35 feet of water.  Picked our rider up, pulled up the wedge (wedge didn't want to lock into place).  Dumped ballast and headed back to the dock.  On plane there was a slight shudder only under acceleration.  Came off plane and idled in.  Put the boat on the lift, yep wedge is bent.  Get the boat on the trailer, pulled the prop due to the shudder, yep it's bent too.  Take the boat home and to the local Malibu Dealership to asses the damage.  Shaft strut looks a little tweaked.

Long story short, prop was bent too close to the hub to be replaced.  Wedge arms bent two directions, not repairable. Strut shaft was bent.  Driveshaft bent as well.  

Rudder looked fine and was not touched in the impact.      

I will look at the wedge too, though it was already stowed up. Hopefully this won't be as bad as it sounds!

14 minutes ago, itznowonder said:

I will look at the wedge too, though it was already stowed up. Hopefully this won't be as bad as it sounds!

Those wedge arms literally bend like playdoh if a decent amount of heat is applied, I've done it a few times.  If you get to point where you're going to pitch it and buy a new one, ship it to me first and I'll see if me and my shop guys can do anything with it.  

• Like 1
53 minutes ago, Ndawg12 said:

Those wedge arms literally bend like playdoh if a decent amount of heat is applied, I've done it a few times.  If you get to point where you're going to pitch it and buy a new one, ship it to me first and I'll see if me and my shop guys can do anything with it.  

Just from a glance up as I was inspecting prop, shaft, strut the wedge looked good but will definitely reach out if the wedge is an issue. THANKS!!!

21 minutes ago, itznowonder said:

one more thought... I get the strut or shaft may be damaged but that wouldn't account for the whine I heard, would it? I hate to think I have 2 problems!!

If the strut was bent then the whine could be your strut bearings (cutlass bearing)

• Like 1
4 hours ago, blk93jeepzj said:

Labor Day Weekend, I was spinning around to pick up a downed rider.  

Boat was in neutral and rear end was coming around to straiten up and head back to the rider.  Hit a standing tree that has been int the lake since it was flooded in 1958 sitting in 35 feet of water.  Picked our rider up, pulled up the wedge (wedge didn't want to lock into place).  Dumped ballast and headed back to the dock.  On plane there was a slight shudder only under acceleration.  Came off plane and idled in.  Put the boat on the lift, yep wedge is bent.  Get the boat on the trailer, pulled the prop due to the shudder, yep it's bent too.  Take the boat home and to the local Malibu Dealership to asses the damage.  Shaft strut looks a little tweaked.

Long story short, prop was bent too close to the hub to repair, had to be replaced.  Wedge arms bent two directions, not repairable. Strut shaft was bent.  Driveshaft bent as well.  

Rudder looked fine and was not touched in the impact.      

Sorry to hear! I've hit prop twice and was fortunate enough not to damage anything else. Hopefully you have insurance! All the best with the repairs!

Edited by BlackBluMalibu
  • Like 1
15 minutes ago, BlackBluMalibu said:

Sorry to hear! I've hit prop twice and was fortunate enough not to damage anything else. Hopefully you have insurance! All the best with the repairs!

Boat has been repaired and we have been back out on the water the last two weekends.  

Paid for the repairs out of pocket to get back on the water (insurance company was not be able to review the claim for over 3 weeks due to back log of previous claims).  Waiting for them to review and approve the estimate from the dealership, then cut me a check.  

• Like 1