bradfr

Infamous HDS leak

63 posts in this topic

Dude, that is the repair method.

Grind it out and fill will plexus.

I was going to use either 3M 5200 fast cure or just go for Marine-Tex which I also have. Any preferences? Is the 3M as good as Plexus? I was leaning towards the Marine-Tex and just be done with it.

I was going to use either 3M 5200 fast cure or just go for Marine-Tex which I also have. Any preferences? Is the 3M as good as Plexus? I was leaning towards the Marine-Tex and just be done with it.

5200 isn't meant for this kind of repair, and I've seen several botched attempts at HDS repairs with 5200, they never seem to work.

5200 isn't meant for this kind of repair, and I've seen several botched attempts at HDS repairs with 5200, they never seem to work.

Thanks,

Marine-Tex it is.

No, Chris wasn't advising Marine-Tex, he was stating what should be used - Plexus.

Peter

No, Chris wasn't advising Marine-Tex, he was stating what should be used - Plexus.

Peter

Where would one find Plexus? And why wouldn't you recommend Marine-Tex

Edited by rayn

After careful consideration and a 1/2 using a dremel to grind out the plexus that was in there, and finding out more about the application of Plexus, I have decided to fall on my DIY sword and have a professional take care of it, The season is too short to botch the job.

Dude, that is the repair method.

Grind it out and fill will plexus.

I was talking about this one.

I was talking about this one.

Proven huh, so the grind a fill is not a proven method? Considering the Malibu warranty fix is to grind it out and fill with plexus, I'm going to say it's a proven repair method.

Proven huh, so the grind a fill is not a proven method? Considering the Malibu warranty fix is to grind it out and fill with plexus, I'm going to say it's a proven repair method.

Forgive for not excepting you as the method authority. I just used a different method on my boat that worked. This is nothing to get all worked up about.

How about the shaft log piece that you fiberglass to the bottom? (Nice work Hedgehogbob. But I don't have that creative talent!!) Does anyone Have a part # for it? I was told it comes in Aluminum and Brass.

I called Farmers Fiberglass and he said he ordered it from the malibu dealer. So I called the Malibu dealer and they had No Idea what I was talking about????

Need to have my leaky box repaired this off-season, bilge pump has worked OT this year.

Any referrals for a shop capable of this repair in and/or around Northern Chicagoland Area??

Need to have my leaky box repaired this off-season, bilge pump has worked OT this year.

Any referrals for a shop capable of this repair in and/or around Northern Chicagoland Area??

TTT, anybody around Chicago/Southern Wisco have this repair done?? Referrals

Looking at this thread, the repair shown using the hedge's tunnel method seems to trap water in the column. Any adverse problems when freezing weather hit during winter?