Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

tige boats -built like a tank?

Arctic Slalom

fellow crewers,

i was reading an article in boating magazine which was a shootout between a Malibu response, a Moomba outback, a MC 197 and a Tige 20i. Not really knowing much about Moomba and Tige I read the article and was surprised to see that the Tige 20i won the shootout. Evidently, the shootout was comparing how 'tournament' slalom boats can also double as family/wakeboard machines Clap.gif .

Anyway, I ordered some Tige literature and popped in their promotional DVD last night. I was wondering why the Tige weighs 800 lbs. more than the other boats on the market (same length) and after watching the construction technology of their assembly plant I was really blown away by how these boats are put together. I've never seen a Tige on the water, but I'm just curious...are these things really built like tanks? How do they handle with all that additional dry weight? Is their warranty anything special with lifetime guarantee on hull, stingers, etc.? Are they doing anything special in their construction technology which has advantages/disadvantages over Bu?

maybe i'm just a sukker for marketing materials, but these things look like they are really built well....any thoughts? Dontknow.gif

IIRC, they are the last ski boats built with wood in the sole which contributes to the additional weight. They actually used it as a selling point saying you do not need ballast with their boats.

If I remember right, Tige no longer uses wood in their boats. I think they stopped a year or two ago. I remember reading that article. I still say a Response LXI with a wedge is a better crossover boat. Seems strange to me that the Malibu they tested didn't have a wedge. I like Boating Magazine, been a subscriber for years but like everything else you have to take it with a grain of salt. They make their money from advertising.

Yes, the wood in Tige is no longer used. However, I have to say that owned one and was very happy w/ the boat overall. Don't get me wrong, I love my Malibu and would probably never buy another brand of boat. But my Tige was a well built boat that never gave me one problem in 4 years of ownership. If Malibu were to go under I would not hesitate to buy another Tige as a matter of fact. But until that happens, Bu rules!!!!!!!!!

Sanger is the only boat manufactuer that I know of that still uses wood today. IMO, the fit and finish is lacking in the Tige. I know a few people who have them in the ski club I used to be a part of and I wasn't impressed with the quality. JMO

Evidently, the shootout was comparing how 'tournament' slalom boats can also double as family/wakeboard machines Clap.gif .

I remember the article as well, and IIRC, it was looking for the best 'all-around' family towboat. Not the same as looking for a slalom boat with crossover capabilities or one that is family friendly. Read the shootout again and remind me which boat they used to compare wakes. :)

Charlie Pigeon is perhaps the best marketing man in the skiboat business. He took a Ski Centurion with different graphics, marketed as a Tige, and built a business out of it. Although he used to work for Malibu, lots of what he built his sales machine on was just smoke and mirrors.

Peter

IIRC, they are the last ski boats built with wood in the sole which contributes to the additional weight.

Ummm... Can you say Sanger ?

IIRC, they are the last ski boats built with wood in the sole which contributes to the additional weight.

Ummm... Can you say Sanger ?

See post #7 in this thread. Tongue.gif

I currently own a 2006 24V Tige. Don't throw me off the boards yet! :unsure:

When I was looking for a wake boat, I was looking for features in this order:

1. Room-we have four kids and their friends, plus whoever else might show up

2. None of us are pro level anything in regards to watersports, so a good crossover is a plus

3. regarding #2, the ease of which we can change wake configurations is also a plus (no filling tanks, etc.)

4. Handling-Must handle like the small boat it is (24' is a relatively small boat, compared to what I have owned before)

5. power-I can't live with an underpowered boat...EVER

6. Build quality-I don't want something to fall apart shortly after I buy it.

given those qualifications, three boats cam to mind (others did as well, but these were about the only one that I have dealers for in a close vacinity), Mastercraft, Malibu, and Tige`.

I tested two different X-45's and they handle terribly. My wife could not turn the boat even under a reasonable power level, so they were not an option (I understand they have corrected this now-these were 05's)

At that time I didn't find a Malibu dealer, so I went with Tige`.

The boat is well built, however the attention to detail is a bit lacking, and the rigging (wiring in particular) is not impressive at all. I have had no real issues that I couldn't fix, just annoying little things.

I am looking to trade now, so we will see what happens, I plan on doing a bunch of research into rigging before I make the choice.

Friend of mine has a tige 22i and I think the boat is really nice. I am comparing to my budget wake boat, but even compared to my buddies vlx or MC the tige is decent. I may look at the RZ2 in the near future our local Tige dealer is supposed to be pretty cool.

I currently own a 2006 24V Tige. Don't throw me off the boards yet! :unsure:

When I was looking for a wake boat, I was looking for features in this order:

1. Room-we have four kids and their friends, plus whoever else might show up

2. None of us are pro level anything in regards to watersports, so a good crossover is a plus

3. regarding #2, the ease of which we can change wake configurations is also a plus (no filling tanks, etc.)

4. Handling-Must handle like the small boat it is (24' is a relatively small boat, compared to what I have owned before)

5. power-I can't live with an underpowered boat...EVER

6. Build quality-I don't want something to fall apart shortly after I buy it.

given those qualifications, three boats cam to mind (others did as well, but these were about the only one that I have dealers for in a close vacinity), Mastercraft, Malibu, and Tige`.

I tested two different X-45's and they handle terribly. My wife could not turn the boat even under a reasonable power level, so they were not an option (I understand they have corrected this now-these were 05's)

At that time I didn't find a Malibu dealer, so I went with Tige`.

The boat is well built, however the attention to detail is a bit lacking, and the rigging (wiring in particular) is not impressive at all. I have had no real issues that I couldn't fix, just annoying little things.

I am looking to trade now, so we will see what happens, I plan on doing a bunch of research into rigging before I make the choice.

If you stick around here very long, you will find that we welcome owners of all types of boats and will not necessarily through you off for owning an inferior boat (j/k).

Most of us have Malibus and love them but you will find many others owning non-Malibus and the diversity makes for a more well rounded place to talk about boats. I like that fact.

We looked hard at the Tige 24 before buying our LSV. I really like the local dealer, who also carries CC. A 226 was too much money, and we were just no impressed with the Tige 24 after driving a HH equipped LSV.

I too was surprised by the weight. If I recall correctly the 24 weighs close to 1200 lbs more than a LSV. That is huge. As for not needing ballast, yeah, but sometimes I don't want to carry ballast!! I was not left with the impression that the hull was any thicker, or any stronger, but the freeboard was greater and the use of large fiberglass molds to form the interior was also greater. I felt like those things added significantly to the weight.

I had a really good friend out from OK this last weekend that was looking at Tige' after spending the day in our boat he clearly made up his mind, he also commented on the fit and finish of the interior and gel coat quality. It was his first time in a Bu and at the end of the day he was looking over every inch of the boat, he looked at the RZ2 really close and was highly impressed with ours which makes me finally realize that our choice was the right one Biggrin.gif .

Is their warranty anything special with lifetime guarantee on hull, stingers, etc.? Are they doing anything special in their construction technology which has advantages/disadvantages over Bu?

maybe i'm just a sukker for marketing materials, but these things look like they are really built well....any thoughts? Dontknow.gif

A few years ago they got a terrible rap for their hulls coming apart. So bad that sales were hit very hard. So, they decided to hit it full force and offer a lifetime 100% replacement warranty on their hulls. It's gimikee but if it does the trick to get people off the hull holding up issue, then it worked.

I've got a friend that had a 21ve and thought it a decent boat. He recently bought the 24v. I haven't ridden in it yet, so can't speak to handling, but looking at it at the boat show I thought there were a number of items that weren't put together well, and some really flimsy plastic stuff - like the little latches on the transom, I couldn't figure those out.

And what I really don't understand is their asking price. They seem to be as high as a Malibu, which I think is crazy - but that's me.

thanks for the input...it's really tough to assess boats when they are all perfectly detailed at a boat show (especially with a sales guy breathing down your neck)...it seems to me the truth of the design, detailing and construction are more evident when you water test and ultimately when you have owned the boat for several months and spent several hours in them.

where we boat (central MN) I/O's and fish/ski outboards rule the water, so even seeing another inboard is very rare, much less the opportunity to check out or ride in/behind the ones you'd be interested in?! actually, to be honest, i've never seen a wakesetter, air nautique or even an x-star on the water; a response and a mc 197 are about the only 'newer' inboards on our local lakes (both on the same lake, same bay -Lake Koronis)!