Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

SEAT SKINS WERE DO I GET THEM

I'd love to see pictures of your Echelon. I'm restoring mine right now.
I have a 94 Echelon, had Chee make up the observers seat bottom (same seam split as above) and since I really like the newer drivers seat, had Chee make me one. I sent him my VIN for the boat and tried to describe what I thought I would like as a seat pattern. He indicated he couldn't make exactly what I asked for but could make something very nice. So with a leap of faith and the obligatory "go ahead and surprise me" option I sent off my $$$. When the box arrived and I opened it up, I was very pleasantly surprised, he hit a home run with the design. My particular boat has a custom interior and paint scheme and he matched it perfectly, that is why he has his job and the rest of us don't. He can determine what each boat has from the VIN. The new seat blends in great, a very slight color difference, but only I can tell if I really look hard. Sunshine actually bleaches out and keeps the material color pretty consistent. I think Malibu owners are very lucky to have that option available to them, it is a great service. If you call Malibu, they will give you his number. Again, he hit it out of the park for me.

I completed the observers "L" seat so far on my '98 Echelon. It only took 2 hours total. I've got all the other skins still in the box until this winter. Chee did a great job. I used the pneumatic Porter Cable Stapler with SS staples. Worked like a charm. I'll get some pics posted up.

Make sure you have a good pry tool (angled head screwdriver) to pry out the old staples. Works very easily.

• 4 months later...

I completed the observers "L" seat so far on my '98 Echelon. It only took 2 hours total. I've got all the other skins still in the box until this winter. Chee did a great job. I used the pneumatic Porter Cable Stapler with SS staples. Worked like a charm. I'll get some pics posted up.

Make sure you have a good pry tool (angled head screwdriver) to pry out the old staples. Works very easily.

Where did you buy the stapler and staples? I just ordered new skins from Chee and would like to have all the tools and supplies I will need when they are delivered. Do have any tips, tricks, suggestions, etc. before I dive into this project? I have a friend that used to do upholstery work that will be helping/supervising, so maybe it will go smooth. Chee indicated that everything should be fairly easy to do except for the drivers seat and engine cover. I may have to make sure the kids are away when I am working on it, 'cause the four letter words may start flying!!!!

If you don't mind, how much is that costing you? You can PM me if you like.

I worked for malibu (Tennesse Plant) for about 8 years. I now do fiberglass work for many dealers and other customers, specializing major to minor repair work with Malibu's. I use a guy that still works in the plant for all of my re-covering and skins. He is awesome and very reasonable. And he isn't 2 months behind, usually he can do a whole malibu in 2 to 3 weeks. Sooner if you are just wanting skins!! E-mail me if you want his number.

• Like 1

I worked for malibu (Tennesse Plant) for about 8 years. I now do fiberglass work for many dealers and other customers, specializing major to minor repair work with Malibu's. I use a guy that still works in the plant for all of my re-covering and skins. He is awesome and very reasonable. And he isn't 2 months behind, usually he can do a whole malibu in 2 to 3 weeks. Sooner if you are just wanting skins!! E-mail me if you want his number.

I was at the Malibu Factory last week in Tennessee and spoke at length with this guy. He seemed very helpful and said he did these type of things all the time. He actually is the Upholstery Manager at the Factory. Probably a good resource for us to keep. Call him and give us some feedback on your experience.

Chris Phillips

• 1 month later...

i phoned chris on friday 5fe2010 and left vme.

chris was good with the call back and i requested a quote for my driver seat skin at that time.

he requested the hull number; from it can determine the exact color, material and specs.

on 19fe we agreed on the details including price, timing and reinforcement at the problem area(s).

i received the new skin on 4mr. initial inspection looks really good.

while chris offered some helpful installation tips i have not made the decision re. installing it myself or sending it out.

when i get the job finished i will post more info. about the fit, finish and installation.

so far the process of getting the replacement skin has been painless.

the skin appears to be great quality and have no objections to chris product or process.

i will post more when i know more.

I was at the Malibu Factory last week in Tennessee and spoke at length with this guy. He seemed very helpful and said he did these type of things all the time. He actually is the Upholstery Manager at the Factory. Probably a good resource for us to keep. Call him and give us some feedback on your experience.

Chris Phillips

This is probably the guy who did mine last year. A Malibu Dealer sub-let the job to "some guy that does upholstry at the Malibu Factory".

He did a GREAT job replacing all the upholstry in my 2000 Wakesetter. I highly recommend this guy, who-ever he is. My contact was Joyce at Marine Outfitters in Charleston, Tennessee.

There was a little issue though.......I think maybe the guy does this at home and must not have the best boat storage. When I got the boat back there was ALOT of clean-up for me to do. It was as if the boat had been stored under a bright light at night and the bugs or something was in every nook and cranny. That was a minor issue compared to the great uphostry work.

That's a great question vette-ski! I would like to know that answer too. My '94 is all original and everything looks good except the observer's seat bottom (cooler lid) which is splitting at the seams, the top section of back seat back (general wear and tear and a run in w/ a portable slalom course... rope burned seats are NOT cool), and the motorbox (the infamous Racoon festival). I've thought about ordering just what I need but am afraid that they wouldn't match...

Feedback would be appreciated by at least two of us! Thanks!

I replaced the observers seat skin, exactly the same problem, with a skin from Chee. Looks great, I am probably the only one that could actually tell the difference as it is ever so slight, and I do mean very slightly different. My upholstery base color is white. I think over the summer the color match got better. I also had Chee make a new version drivers seat, simply because I like them much better than the '94 version and it is awesome. Chee's creative license to match my interior was spot on, he did a great job as he suggested that my idea might not be the best so I told him to go for it with his. It was one of those great experiences when opening the box and it was more than expected, you look at it and go, wow that's cool. Pretty rare these days. He did it simply off the VIN of the boat, he even knew from memory what it was. From what I can gather, neither MC or CC has a service like that, what a great service for the Malibu team.

• 4 months later...

i emailed chee my boat id # vin code ect. with in 5 days he was done and shipped they look great exact match

Would you pm me Chee's email address so I can ask him about skins for my 2000 Escape LSV? Thanks!

Im curious also on what the price of these skins are, im thinking of redoing my seats this winter, just trying to get an idea of what the cost for skins are and me doing labor. Any pictures out there of chee's worl?

thanks crew!

Check out this thread for pics of my interior (by Chee)...

I have a closed bow, the skins cost me about $700, and about the same to have them installed. Keep in mind, I removed my entire interior AND removed all my old skins to save some coin. I would guess your gonna be around $1000+ for an open bow just for the skins.

Chee's work is top notch and he is super easy to deal with.

:rockon:

Check out this thread for pics of my interior (by Chee)...

I have a closed bow, the skins cost me about $700, and about the same to have them installed. Keep in mind, I removed my entire interior AND removed all my old skins to save some coin. I would guess your gonna be around $1000+ for an open bow just for the skins.

Chee's work is top notch and he is super easy to deal with.

:rockon:

Wow, thats looks awesome. Do you happen to have a email addy for chee?

thanks

• 1 year later...
  • 2 years later...

Is Chee still doing interior skins? I need the back wall of my LXI reskinned one of these days. I got his cell# but before I call just curious if he's still doing skin work.

• 1 month later...
  • 8 years later...

I'm not sure if they provide skins, but they do fine upholstery work on Malibu's is Britton Stitchin. They can be found on facebook, but I can't provide a link because for some reason I'm in facebook jail, ha.

But check out their work. It's amazing.

Steve B.